Show Field from Crosstab Query in Report (1 Viewer)

Gordon

Gordon
Local time
Today, 08:54
Hello,

I have a report which is based on crosstab query. One of the fields in the query is "date" current range is "Between #7/1/2007# And #7/1/2008#"

Dates are not part of the column or row headings. The date field is there just to limit the range of data which is chosen.

I would like to do two things with this: (1) I would like to show the date range in the report header. However, the "date" field is not a choice in the pull down menu of available fields to include in the report.

(2) I would like the users of the report to be able to choose their own date range, which I have done with other reports by using "between.... and.." statements in the query. "Between [What is First Date] And [What is Final Date]."

I did try puting a text box in the report header, bound to the field in the query as follows: "=qry_rpt_dog_bike_violations]![Date]" but came up with an error message.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Query_pic.gif
    Query_pic.gif
    62.7 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Local time
Today, 02:54
Be careful using a field/control named "Date" as this is an Access reserved word.

Gordon

Gordon
Local time
Be careful using a field/control named "Date" as this is an Access reserved word.

Yes:( Unfortunately, this is a basic field in a table which is used by many queries and reports and I worry that if I change the field name at this point that I will mess up a lot of work which was done "downstream."

Gordon

Gordon

Gordon
Local time
2) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;209778

1) You can use the parameters in a textbox:

="Data between " & [What is First Date] & " and " & [What is Final Date]

Personally I would use a form to collect the criteria and have the query/textbox point there.

Thanks.... I tried changing the parameter for the "date" field to a date/time format in the query, per the instructions in the lesson which you linked to above.

The result is that I get a box which requests that I enter a date value. I wonder if this has to do with the problem of the name of the field, "date?"

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:54
What is the SQL of the query now?

Gordon

Gordon
Local time
What is the SQL of the query now?

Here is the SQL:

TRANSFORM Count(Master.Report) AS CountOfReport
SELECT Master.Violation
FROM Master INNER JOIN Contacts ON Master.[Contact #] = Contacts.[Contact #]
WHERE (((Master.Preserve) Like "fre*" Or (Master.Preserve) Like "*madera*" Or (Master.Preserve) Like "*pur*" Or (Master.Preserve) Like "*windy*" Or (Master.Preserve) Like "*fremont*" Or (Master.Preserve) Like "*bello*" Or (Master.Preserve) Like "*russian*") AND ((Master.date) Between #7/1/2007# And #6/30/2008#) AND ((Master.Report)="c" Or (Master.Report)="w") AND ((Master.Violation) Like "*bicy*" Or (Master.Violation) Like "*dog*"))
GROUP BY Master.Violation, Master.Preserve, Master.date
ORDER BY Master.Violation
PIVOT Master.Preserve;

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The query like that with hard coded parameters throws a parameter box for "date"? You can try bracketing the field name:

Master.[date]

Gordon

Gordon
Local time
The query like that with hard coded parameters throws a parameter box for "date"? You can try bracketing the field name:

Master.[date]
Thanks Paul,

I placed the [] brackets around "date" and that dealt with the parameter box. However, when I try to use the "between [What is first date] and [What is Last Date]" the query doesn't seem to recognize the format.

The exact error message is "The Microsoft jet database engine does not recognize '[What is first date]' as a valid field name or extension"

Below is the SQL.

Thanks for everyone's time on this!!

PARAMETERS [date] DateTime;
TRANSFORM Count(Master.Report) AS CountOfReport
SELECT Master.Violation
FROM Master INNER JOIN Contacts ON Master.[Contact #] = Contacts.[Contact #]
WHERE (((Master.Preserve) Like "fre*" Or (Master.Preserve) Like "*madera*" Or (Master.Preserve) Like "*pur*" Or (Master.Preserve) Like "*windy*" Or (Master.Preserve) Like "*fremont*" Or (Master.Preserve) Like "*bello*" Or (Master.Preserve) Like "*russian*") AND ((Master.date) Between [What is first date] And [What is second date]) AND ((Master.Report)="c" Or (Master.Report)="w") AND ((Master.Violation) Like "*bicy*" Or (Master.Violation) Like "*dog*"))
GROUP BY Master.Violation, Master.[date], Master.Preserve
ORDER BY Master.Violation
PIVOT Master.Preserve;

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You want the parameter itself in the parameters area, not the field name, plus you need them both. I think it would look like this (as noted, I'd normally use a form):

PARAMETERS [What is first date] DateTime, [What is second date] DateTime;

Gordon

Gordon
Local time
You want the parameter itself in the parameters area, not the field name, plus you need them both. I think it would look like this (as noted, I'd normally use a form):

PARAMETERS [What is first date] DateTime, [What is second date] DateTime;

That worked and the query is doing exactly what I want it to do!... I also am able to show the chosen date range in the report using a text box with:

="Between " & [What is first date] & " and " & [What is last date]

One odd thing... when I am working on the report in design view the parameter boxes come up in a sort of endless loop... i.e. they continuously want me to enter the starting and ending dates.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again for your great advice on this!

Gordon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom