Significant site upgrade (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:57
Everything new takes time to get used to. I remember when we switched from vBulletin. There were many things that were preferred in the old forum until users got used to them here.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
this is
a bit
of inline code

this is
a bit
of inline code

it's adding an extra carriage return

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The code tags now work similar to the way vBulletin did - highlight the code and hit </> - the code is copied to the code window so you don't have to paste it in - but colouring still doesn't come through

this is
a code tag

Code:
this is
a code tag

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Not noticed the spoiler before, was it available in the previous version? (space added after [ to show the code) - but doesn't appear in preview
[ SPOILER="this is a spoiler"][/SPOILER]

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I'm sure you will discover all sorts of niceties in the new version. I don't know what they all are since there are quite a few of them, but I do know the big ones.

I will set up the VBA forum with the Q&A thing, to see how that goes.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
One change is the Similar threads. The look, feel and content have changed. The one we had before was a third-party add-on. This new one is built into Xenforo, so is probably better.

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 14:57
Not sure what you mean by dropdown, but it does show a preview in the reply box rather than the QUOTE code.

Well just discovered a bug, screenshot attached. It isn't including the quote.

1601775725102.png

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
If I click Reply to someones post, I get the quote. It could be a cache issue with your browser. I suggest clearing your cache and trying again.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
for quotes before - you pasted the quote, highlighted it then clicked the 'insert' dropdown and selected quote

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Ok, I just tried it. Highlighted the text, clicked the quote icon, voila!

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
as I said - now only one step, rather than two;)

zeroaccess

Local time

as I said - now only one step, rather than two;)
Unless I'm missing something, that is the same behavior as before. There are two ways to reply with a quote: selectively by selecting text, or to an entire post by hitting Reply.

What I was referring to last night guys is that the quote fails to pick up any text already in a quote box in someone's post.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I have cleared my browser cache again. Just recently I had my in-house network speed upgraded but after this Xenforo upgrade, I get the vague but unquantified impression that things are a bit slower than they used to be. Don't know if that is just having a slowdown on the TransAtlantic path but I'm not seeing that slowdown on other sites - and it is an immediately recent observation.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
It might be slower. Then again, there are all sorts of caches going on, such as the cache on the server that has to catch up, browser caches and more. And the internet is unpredictable. Give is some time and see what happens.

Edit: Actually the site is hosted in the US. And there is a CDN, with local storage via POPs in about 40 different locations around the world. There can be so many different things that affect site speed.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Was just about to complain that UNDERSCORE was gone ... but it isn't. It has just moved to the three vertical dots to the immediate right of the text-color palette symbol. So FYI to others, there are a lot more text options but some old favorites have moved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom