Slang Helper

“Ass from a hole in the ground”: It’s about as stupid as a person can be.

The actual usage would be something like this:

Rich you don’t know your ass from a hole in the ground. Which translates out to, Rich you have no clue what you’re talking about.

But then someone else listening in might say “so what else is new” which is a sarcastic slang for everybody knows that already.

Now normally you would say it to someone you like in a joking way. And you probably would not use it in polite company.

Shit from Shinola
Which means more or less means the same as “hole in the ground”, but the inference is more like ignorance rather than stupidity.

Shinola was a brand of boot polish so if you were not very experienced or if you were simple you might try to polish your boots with the other.

Wild Goose Chase;

Looking for a place and having absolutely no idea where you’re headed.

Chicken with his head cut off;

1. Jumping around not making any sense.
2. running around in circles letting off steam
3. Working very hard and not accomplishing anything.

Usage: Rich makes post like a chicken with his head cut off. Meaning he makes lots and lots of post but none of them are intelligible.

Once again this is usually a term of affection. Generally older and wiser people say it to the youngens (children)

Note: notice the time, This is a guy that has nothing to do but sit up all night and talk to his computer.

Watchin' the paint dry. Or watchin' the grass grow.

Sitting around contemplating the nature of things
Being lazy on a Sunday afternoon.
Or you could use it to describe someone with lots of patience. Like that boy is so patient he could watch the grass grow.

Holdin’ up a wall;

When someone is being lazy and leaning up against the wall you ask them if they’re holding up the wall.

Stacked like a brick wall;

A juvenile expression about a woman’s breast size.

A forked tongue. Someone who lies.
Usage: He speaks with a forked tongue.

Two Faced; someone that pretends to like you and talks badly behind your back.

An Indian giver.

This is an interesting one.

It means that you give someone something and then take it back.

The implications was that the Indians (Native Americans) were guilty of that . When in truth the United States made many treaties with the natives and then reneged on them whenever the land the tribe occupied became valuable

A back stabber;
Similar to a two face but much more devious and sinister. A back stabber will make you think they’re an ally then do something treacherous to you when you least expect it.

Last edited:
Busier than a one legged man in a butt kickin contest.
'very busy

Couldn't find his butt with both hands in a phone booth.
'not very smart (dumb)

Meaner than a one eyed rattle snake.
'pretty mean

Happier than a puppy with two peckers.
'pretty happy

Went over like a fart in church.
'something didn't go too good

Madder than a wet hen.
'pretty mad

So hungry the calves of my legs are bawling for milk.
'pretty hungry

I had two country boy Grandpa's born in the South and I was raised in a small town so I guess I was just raised on them.

slang

Busier than an 'one armed wall paper hanger' means very busy.

'Shrink' means head shinker (psychiatrist)

'Living high on the hog' means having a good life. I do not know the origin of this slang.

Things went 'kaput' means not good (bad news).

Stepped in more than you can wipe off.
'Ususally meant I was in trouble

Nervous as a long tail cat in a room full of rockin' chairs.
'nervous or anxious

Lower than a snakes belly in a wagon track
'pretty low; got the blues

Don't have a pot to piss in.
'broke; no money

He's a long drink of water
'he's tall

The following all refer to someone who's cheap (doesn't like to spend money):

penny-pincher
mean
thrifty
dear (used as an adjective)
short arms and deep pockets
left town for two weeks with one shirt and a five dollar bill and came back without changing either one.
he can pinch a nickel so hard he makes the beaver cry (Canadian)

Bit off more than you can chew.
Over commented.

I'm as confused as a termite in a yo-yo
'confused; not getting it.

Kiss her all night and never it the same place twice
'Big woman

I wish I could buy you for what your worth and sell you for what you thought you were worth
'someone with an over inflated opinion of themselves

Ok, OK
"Shoot yourself in the foot" - can be used in more than one way, but typically means you did something dumb brought on by yourself.
"Asking a child how many barrels on a double barrel shotgun" - A dumb act, ask a child how many barrels, they will typically look DOWN the barrels to count them (hope that sucker aint loaded).
"Foot in mouth" - Same as "dig'n yourself a hole" typically, saying something stupid or get'n yourself in trouble (deeper) also "Keep dig'n that hole deeper) goes along with "takes one foot out and puts the other in" saying something stupid, Twice, or keep'n saying something stupid.
"Head where the sun don't shine or Head up ass" - Can't seem to see the facts in front of them, chooses to ignore the obvious, etc.
"Texas road bump" - an armadillo, see attached for a look at how most see them in Texas.

Attachments

• roadkill.jpg
    roadkill.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 158

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom