Slang Helper

skea

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:45
There quite a number of slangs used in here that many of us don't understand. May this thread help us to know what people mean:rolleyes:

For instance, Ditto?:confused: what does it mean?

Ditto is a Latin phrase and it simply means something along the lines of "and again".

i.e.

In census forms in the UK (thinking of 1850s, as I haven't seen a modern one) the members of a household would be listed with their age, name, and job title. Kids, typically, were listed as scholars and, if there was a succession of kids then the first would be listed as a scholar while the rest were listed as ditto. Likewise, any repetition of something in a list.

It simply means the same again or can be used in the me too context.

Last edited:
i used ditto - out of ghost (the movie) and took it to mean 'me too'

as a form of shorthand for lists, usually handwritten, used to indicate the word above it should be repeated and designated by double quotation marks:

Forms!Form1!controls(1)
" " "controls(2)
" " "controls(3)
etc.

Last edited:
Bodisathva said:
as a form of shorthand for lists, usually handwritten, used to indicate the word above it should be repeated and designated by double quotation marks:

Forms!Form1!controls(1)
" " "controls(2)
" " "controls(3)
etc.

Hope you don't mean

Forms!Form1!controls(1)
Ditto controls(2)
Ditto controls(3)
:D :D :D :D :D

skea said:
Hope you don't mean

Forms!Form1!controls(1)
Ditto controls(2)
Ditto controls(3)
:D :D :D :D :D

actually...yes. The quotes are read as "ditto". The alignment is off on the display, but I suppose to be more accurate:

Forms!Form1!controls(1)
" " " "(2)
" " " "(3)

Last edited:
I've only seen ditto explained with two " instead of four.

I've seen it used with two, with two for each omitted word, and with as many as will fit in the space. Don't think anyone has a clue, really...it is English after all:eek:

That's true. I've seen two for each omitted word more often than just two for a group. Are there even any English standards for this?

OK, along these lines I had to ask a Brit friend here what was meant by the term "hangers and Belt" (I hope I have that right) and found out it meant Suspenders and Belt (in USA talk). I was in an Email conversation with a vendor on some issues I was having with their software, and he was going through the testing proceedures, and in the context of double checking everything he used that slang instead. First time I have ever heard that.
Then there is always that good ole British "Brilliant!" which I think we pretty much all know, but don't really use in the USA.

Vassago said:
That's true. I've seen two for each omitted word more often than just two for a group. Are there even any English standards for this?
I don't know what you mean; it is not really grammar. In engineering drawings or legislature you couldn't use anything like this because is could be mistaken for something else. That's why there are standards for annotation in each field. In fact it isn't really good practice to use it at your workplace for the very reason skea has drawn attention to. ",i,1,I,l,j,0,o, can all be confused when used as annotation that's why there are international standards like ISO.

dt01pqt said:
I don't know what you mean; it is not really grammar. In engineering drawings or legislature you couldn't use anything like this because is could be mistaken for something else. That's why there are standards for annotation in each field. In fact it isn't really good practice to use it at your workplace for the very reason skea has drawn attention to. ",i,1,I,l,j,0,o, can all be confused when used as annotation that's why there are international standards like ISO.

On my quote being sarcasm? :p

FoFa said:
OK, along these lines I had to ask a Brit friend here what was meant by the term "hangers and Belt" (I hope I have that right) and found out it meant Suspenders and Belt (in USA talk).

Its actually "Belt and Braces" - it means making absolutely sure something is ok by overdoing it. e.g. hanging a picture with a 4" screw and nailing each corner too.

Suspenders in the UK are worn usually by females to hold up stockings - any man confessing he wears suspenders would be treated suspiciously (if you get my drift)

What you call suspenders in the USA we call "braces", if you come to the UK don't go into a shop (if you are a male) and ask for suspenders:eek:

Col

"Forget about it" aka. "Fuhgetaboutit"
I grew up with this one since I'm Sicilian..but alot of people don't understand it's many uses. I thought it was clearly defined in the movie "Donnie Brasco" in one scene where several under cover cops were discussing it. Very funny scene :)

And how is that pronounced Kodo.

ColinEssex said:
if you come to the UK don't go into a shop (if you are a male) and ask for suspenders:eek:

Col
Unless you're shopping for the mrs' chrisie pres.:D

Do you actually pronounce any of the 't's?

Being from Canada I don't understand what any of you hosers are talking about EH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom