Slang Helper (1 Viewer)

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Today, 03:32
Joined
Jan 14, 2002
Messages
906
SJ McAbney said:
Do you actually pronounce any of the 't's?

Americans don't hit their Ts as hard as the Brits.
So, to YOU it would sounds more like fuh-ged-a-bowd-it.

And again, the last T would be much softer than a properly hit British T... which, as you remember was thrown into the harbour ages ago. :rolleyes:
 

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 08:32
Joined
Jun 2, 2003
Messages
12,701
TessB said:
And again, the last T would be much softer than a properly hit British T... which, as you remember was thrown into the harbour ages ago. :rolleyes:
LOL :D :D :D

brian
 

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 03:32
Joined
Dec 26, 2002
Messages
4,748
TessB said:
Americans don't hit their Ts as hard as the Brits.
So, to YOU it would sounds more like fuh-ged-a-bowd-it.

And again, the last T would be much softer than a properly hit British T... which, as you remember was thrown into the harbour ages ago. :rolleyes:

:D

You sound like a music teacher.
 

skea

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:32
Joined
Dec 21, 2004
Messages
342
TessB said:
Americans don't hit their Ts as hard as the Brits.
So, to YOU it would sounds more like fuh-ged-a-bowd-it.

And again, the last T would be much softer than a properly hit British T... which, as you remember was thrown into the harbour ages ago. :rolleyes:

I guess a real English-dragging American would pronunce it like "Fu-ge-ab-a-uti"
And an American Speaking Brit would say "Fuh-ged-a-bout-i."
Just like God is Pronounced Gad...err...Gud!

Rich said:
She brings music to our ears
Isnt it meant to be "She brings music to our eyes"
 

Jacob Mathai

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:32
Joined
Sep 6, 2001
Messages
546
In the USA :

I ate my heart out means I had a delicious meal.

I spent time in the big house means I was in jail.

Another word for jail is 'slammer'.

When the sales clerk says "Dollar ten", it means one dollar and 10 cents.
 

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 03:32
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Messages
1,940
Ya’ll: you in it most elegant form.
 

skea

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:32
Joined
Dec 21, 2004
Messages
342
Jacob Mathai said:
In the USA :
I ate my heart out means I had a delicious meal.
That must be one of the reasons mike couldnt stand the brit:cool:
Jacob Mathai said:
I spent time in the big house means I was in jail.
Jail is a always a big house to accomodate many blacks.
 

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 03:32
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Messages
1,940
Jacob Mathai said:
In the USA :

I ate my heart out means I had a delicious meal.


Maybe; but I’ve never heard I used that way.

“Eat your heart out” means the same as “Read em and weep”.

Which means, “I won, and you are so jealous”.

The term “Read em and weep” comes from poker, when you clobber someone.
 

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:32
Joined
Jan 29, 2003
Messages
3,672
Shoot yourself in the foot
Asking a child how many barrels on a double barrel shotgun
Foot in mouth
Head where the sun don't shine
Texas road bump
 

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 03:32
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Messages
1,940
FoFa said:
Shoot yourself in the foot
Asking a child how many barrels on a double barrel shotgun
Foot in mouth
Head where the sun don't shine
Texas road bump
You have to tell us what they mean FOFA
 

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:32
Joined
Jan 29, 2003
Messages
3,672
jsanders said:
You have to tell us what they mean FOFA
Why do you have a "Lone Star" and ask about a Texas Road Bump?
 

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:32
Joined
Aug 20, 2001
Messages
1,470
Jacob Mathai said:
In the USA :

I ate my heart out means I had a delicious meal.
I have to agree with jsanders on this one. In the midwest we'd probably say "That hit the spot".
 

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 03:32
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Messages
1,940
FoFa said:
Why do you have a "Lone Star" and ask about a Texas Road Bump?



Born and Raised,

I mean you have to tell them what it means.
 

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 03:32
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Messages
1,940
A New York minute
A country mile

A New York minute means real quick
A country mile means a long ways.
 
Last edited:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 03:32
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Messages
1,940
Over yonder; just over there within shooten distance, actually within eye sight.

Shooten distance; If you're from Texas that’s about as far as you can see.
 
Last edited:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 03:32
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Messages
1,940
Plum tuckered; you can’t get any more exhausted than that
 

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 03:32
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Messages
1,940
This dog won’t hunt: It doesn’t look like it’s going to happen.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom