Split database flash drive path problem (1 Viewer)

ankrumc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:22
Hey everyone,

I have a split database that I'd like to use on a flash drive and bring to other computers. The problem is that when I'm linking The structure (forms, queries, reports) to the data (tables) I have to designate a file path (c:\, e:\). On different computers the flash drive automatically takes a different file path, and I have to relink the tables.

Is there a better way to do this? I'd like to point it like a \data.accdb instead of c:\folder\my whatever\data.accdb.

You guys are always so helpful, thanks!

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:22
Don't put a working database on a flash drive. The constant writing will wear out the drive and you will lose your data.

Run the backend on the hard drive and copy it to the Flash drive when you need to move it to another PC.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:22
Put the backend on a SQL server, carry a copy of the linked frontend on your flash drive. Then copy it to the computer your working on, relink your ready to go. Having said that you will still experence version problems with things like ODBC and a like.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 11:22
Don't put a working database on a flash drive. The constant writing will wear out the drive and you will lose your data.

Run the backend on the hard drive and copy it to the Flash drive when you need to move it to another PC.

Good to know (I'll just make sure I back up regular been fine for 6 months now)

I have a personal CRM that I keep on a flash drive and wasn't aware of the above. I like to keep it on the Flash because I am constantly transferring it about the place which I suspect is what the opening poster wants to do as well. I don't have access to a server which would allow me to build it in SQL Server.

Ankrumc if its just a database for one user might not need to be split.???

ankrumc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:22
Thanks guys,

Never heard about the flash drive problem but it makes sense. I did notice that it ran slower for sure, but was willing to sacrifice that for the convenience.

Its only been one user until just recently. That's why I split the database, to keep the integrity of the front end so no one would putz with it.

Thanks for the help, obviously its not the easy answer, but it helps direct me regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom