Split Forms: Just. Say. NO! (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 17:40
They do have their quirks, I must admit, but if you just want a simple form with two views they are useful.

Anything more, I would use the Emulated Split Form that members developed here.

Dreamweaver

Local time
Some of the ms templates use them, can't say I'm a fan

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 13:40
Specifically, the BeforeUpdate event is not behaving normally. I borrowed some neat code from @GinaWhipp and when I try to expand the ComboBox, the event fires essentially putting it in a loop. Her code worked beautifully on another form (not split) but not on the one in question.

Out of desperation, I changed the form's default view from Split to Single and everything worked fine.

I was at this crossroads about 2 years ago when CID(@isladogs) posted his emulated split form. I was too lazy to make the change and now I am paying the piper. Both he an @CJ_London warned me but did I listen? Obviously not.

In the words of the late John Wayne: Life is hard, harder if you're stupid...and I, SportsFans, am special kind of stupid...

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I know nothing about split forms as I heeded the warnings! But I do break some other "Rules" when it suits me.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
What cracks me up about split forms is that people will post a problem and it takes hours to figure it out, going back and forth. Or you can build all of those features in 10 to 15 minutes and be done.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
What cracks me up about split forms is that people will post a problem and it takes hours to figure it out, going back and forth. Or you can build all of those features in 10 to 15 minutes and be done.
MajP,

You might be able to, but a complete novice or even a mild novice would not be able to?
Remember that is straight out of the box, no code necessary.?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Sounds like decent threads on how to convert split forms into a more normal arrangement would be an ideal candidate for adding to the thread stickies, as described in this thread here:-

MajP

Local time
Remember that is straight out of the box, no code necessary.?
It is like multi value fields. It is real easy to implement, and then a huge problem to fix it when you want to do more or not working as you expect. Sure if it meets their needs out of the box great, with a big caution. I see these threads all the time that go on and on with people trying to trouble shoot them or modify them to meet their needs. When maybe what Uncle Gizmo says is needed a little better explanation, although I thought there was some good explanation on building an "emulated split form" already. I might be optimistic, but I think even a novice can roll their own about as easy as using a split form. It is nothing but a form with a subform, which most novices can do.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
MajP,

I agree and if they are pointed to the ESF they should be able to create a suitable replacement quite easily. Hell, I even managed it :D, but will admit every time I need to create a new one, I go back to review a previously created one, but then my memory is rubbish. :D

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I think there are a number of things that could be covered where the 'wizards' are limiting or do not produce an efficient design. Was going to mention lookups/multivalue fields but see Madj has. So would include navigation form. Using queries with criteria for form recordset or source rather than table, not using the linkchild/master subform properties for the same reason. Not creating/deleting temp tables (linked or not) in the FE (use a temp db instead). Perhaps also split BE's.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Col's version isn't exactly what I was looking for. Bottom line, I wanted it to look and behave EXACTLY like the split forms do as datasheet sort features at the top of each column has become very handy. When I hinted that I may take it away, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth...

A quick google search gave me a viable solution and now my robust validation/BeforeUpdate routines work great. The important thing (as CJL told me 2 years ago!) is to NOT link the parent and child fields.

MajP

Local time
but will admit every time I need to create a new one, I go back to review a previously created one, but then my memory is rubbish. :D
Same here, that is why I have a huge Access library organized into types. If I need to work with or answer a question in Excel I look there, if I need to do something with colors I look there,....

DBs.jpg

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Col's version isn't exactly what I was looking for. Bottom line, I wanted it to look and behave EXACTLY like the split forms do as datasheet sort features at the top of each column has become very handy. When I hinted that I may take it away, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth...

A quick google search gave me a viable solution and now my robust validation/BeforeUpdate routines work great. The important thing (as CJL told me 2 years ago!) is to NOT link the parent and child fields.
The latest ESF allows for sorting from column headers.?
Here is the latest (I think) that I downloaded

Attachments

• EmulateSplitForm v11A.accdb.txt
    644 KB · Views: 407

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:40

Hi. Would you mind posting a demo of your split form with the broken BeforeUpdate event, so I can learn from it? Thanks.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I thought there was some good explanation on building an "emulated split form" already.

Yes this forum is full of useful information but it is sometimes hard to find. Hence the idea of utilising the stickies to try and bring some order to it. The first step is to gather links to these interesting and useful posts and then the organisation will come from that I'm sure. But it's would be a monumental task for any individual, it needs to be a joint effort of all the forum members pointing out when they find a useful explanation, thread, example and/or code snippet. With a concerted effort from everyone interested, then I reckon within six months to a year we would have "the best" MS Access resource on the internet....

MajP

Local time
@NauticalGent
You may find this useful. This is using the same filters and sort capability you get with a datasheet in a continuous form. The beauty of this is there is almost no code. I had never thought about doing this but someone asked the question, and tried it. I was like that is a great idea.

ContFilter.jpg

Total code
Code:
Private SelectedButton
Public Function FilterForm()
  Set SelectedButton = ActiveControl
  Me.Controls(ActiveControl.Tag).SetFocus
  Me.Recordset.MoveFirst
  DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdFilterMenu
End Function

Private Sub Form_ApplyFilter(Cancel As Integer, ApplyType As Integer)
  Dim cmd As Access.CommandButton
  Set cmd = SelectedButton
  If InStr(Me.Filter, cmd.Tag) > 0 Then
    cmd.Picture = "Filter"
  Else
    cmd.Picture = "Down"
  End If
End Sub

Attachments

• DatasheetLikeFilter.zip
    37.9 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Not bad MajP! I'm taking off for now since it is 1614 and there is an 1800 curfew. Ill be in tomorrow though and I will take it for a spin. Thanks for sharing...

I really like the look

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom