SQL INSERT AND WHERE Problems (1 Viewer)

Pete64

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:32
Here my statement:

DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO [timesheet header](flag) VALUES(-1) WHERE [timesheet header].SERVICE_COMPANY_NO = serviceno AND [timesheet header].PERIOD_STARTING = start;

I know the syntax of this querys is probly well off but i have tried so many different ways but can't get it workin please help ; )

I get runtime errors of missing semi colon at end of statement, but I already have one.

basically with this statement I want to append a value in a table called timesheet header and the field I want to append is called flag -its set to Yes/No in table propertys. But I want to use a where clause to narrow this down to one record basically WHERE [timesheet header].SERVICE_COMPANY_NO = serviceno AND [timesheet header].PERIOD_STARTING = start;

serviceno and start are set values in my VBA code.

Jon K

Registered User.
Local time
If serviceno and start are numeric:-

DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO [timesheet header] (flag) VALUES (-1) WHERE [timesheet header].SERVICE_COMPANY_NO = " & serviceno & " AND [timesheet header].PERIOD_STARTING = " & start & ";"

If serviceno and start are text:-

DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO [timesheet header] (flag) VALUES (-1) WHERE [timesheet header].SERVICE_COMPANY_NO = '" & serviceno & "' AND [timesheet header].PERIOD_STARTING = '" & start & "';"

Pete64

Registered User.
Local time
thanks

would it matter if I used a date field start is a date would this make any difference to my statement structure.

am still gettin the 3137,"Missing semicolon (;) at end of SQL error
I ave no idea.

SilentBreaker

Registered User.
Local time
If the Value type is Date, use this one:

DoCmd.RunSQL = "Select..........WHERE.....DateField =" & Chr(35) & dtmDate & Chr(35)

If the Value type is String, use this one:

DoCmd.RunSQL = "Select..........WHERE.....StringField=" & Chr(34) & strString & Chr(34)

If the Value type is Numeric, use this one:

DoCmd.RunSQL = "Select..........WHERE.....NumericField=" & strString

Cheers :D

Jon K

Registered User.
Local time
The delimiter for a date is the #:-

... [timesheet header].PERIOD_STARTING = #" & start & "#;"

I have overlooked your SQL statement. Since you are adding NEW records to the table using Insert Into, I don't think you can use the Where Clause. Probably this is why you got the Missing Semicolon error.

A Where clause can apply only to existing records, for example, when you are updating specific records using an Update statement.

Pete64

Registered User.
Local time
OK! this is wot I've got

thanks for all your help but look:

DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO [Timesheet Header](flag) VALUES (-1) WHERE [Timesheet Header]!SERVICE_COMPANY_NO = " & Chr(34) & serviceno & Chr(34) And [timesheet header]!PERIOD_STARTING = " & Chr(35) & start & Chr(35);"

Run time error 2465
but i get a new error now can't find the field timesheet header refered to in your expression :confused:

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:32
Your qouting is off:

DoCmd.RunSQL "INSERT INTO [Timesheet Header](flag) VALUES (-1) WHERE [Timesheet Header]!SERVICE_COMPANY_NO = " & Chr(34) & serviceno & Chr(34) & " And [timesheet header]!PERIOD_STARTING = " & Chr(35) & start & Chr(35) & ";"

Regards

Pete64

Registered User.
Local time
yeah i thought what your saying might be true but how would I phare an update sql statement for what I what to do am stuck.

Pete64

Registered User.
Local time
As Jon K suggested it wont work

I tried again but it doesn't work so am trying to write an update query to achieve the result.

this is what i have so far:

DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE tables![timesheet header].flag SET flag = -1 WHERE [Timesheet Header]!SERVICE_COMPANY_NO = serviceno And [timesheet header]!PERIOD_STARTING = start;"

i get a syntax error in statement, can anyone help
cheers ;-):p

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Do you want to append (insert) or update 1 record?

For update your syntax is about correct but change insert to update.

To insert 1 record its totaly off...

Post a sample db (with the empty table in it, with the form and or coding needed) and tell me EXACTLY what you want to do. And i will probably be able to do it.

Regards

The Mailman

Pete64

Registered User.
Local time
nice one

OK heres an example and I'll tell you what I want

basically on the click of the OK button on the frmflag I want the SQL statement to run to find a record with with values predetermined in the code i've set and I want the flag to be set as a tick in the table. with values being set and used in the WHERE clause of the SQL statement

cheers for the help

Attachments

• example.zip
    38.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

WayneRyan

AWF VIP
Local time
Pete,

Code:
DoCmd.RunSQL "UPDATE [timesheet header] " & _
             "SET flag = -1 " & _
             "WHERE serviceno = " & Forms![Timesheet Header]!SERVICE_COMPANY_NO And " & _
             "      start = #" & Forms![timesheet header]!PERIOD_STARTING & "#"

Wayne

Pete64

Registered User.
Local time
to get the example to work you have to press on both the select visible only and turn flag on button then press OK

just a very quick example

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
This is the modified code for your OK button
Code:
Private Sub cmdContinue_Click()

Dim serviceno As String
    Dim start As Date
    serviceno = "7865"
    start = "02/02/98"

If checks = 1 And checks2 = 1 Or checks2 = 2 Then
     If checks2 = 1 Then
          CurrentDb.Execute "UPDATE [Timesheet Header] SET [Timesheet Header].Flag = True " & _
                            "WHERE [Timesheet Header].SERVICE_COMPANY_NO='" & serviceno & "' " & _
                            "AND [Timesheet Header].PERIOD_STARTING=#" & start & "#;"
     Else
          CurrentDb.Execute "UPDATE [Timesheet Header] SET [Timesheet Header].Flag = True " & _
                            "WHERE [Timesheet Header].SERVICE_COMPANY_NO='" & serviceno & "' " & _
                            "AND [Timesheet Header].PERIOD_STARTING=#" & start & "#;"
     End If
    End If

Me.Visible = False

End Sub
You might have to switch the queries

Regards

The Mailman

Pete64

Registered User.
Local time
U R A LEGEND BETTER THAN PAT

cheers for all your help it works like a dream..
UR THE MAILMAN

; ) :D until next time

ciao
-----
Pete
-----

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom