Stocks and Shares (1 Viewer)

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Yesterday, 18:58
Guys ...
Now is the time to go shopping for Stocks and shares ( these have take a bit of a dive - however they will bouncy back)

If you look at it being a bargin sale .. however its at what point do you buy these at ..

If you are about to buy pensions annunity (?) then probably best to speak to a finaincal advisor on this - (in case this reduces your income - it shouldn't but worth checking )

and on this one we can blame the Yanks (LOL)

g

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 02:58
Guys ...
Now is the time to go shopping for Stocks and shares ( these have take a bit of a dive - however they will bouncy back)

If you look at it being a bargin sale .. however its at what point do you buy these at ..

If you are about to buy pensions annunity (?) then probably best to speak to a finaincal advisor on this - (in case this reduces your income - it shouldn't but worth checking )

and on this one we can blame the Yanks (LOL)

g
Maybe best to wait until they start to bounce back then you will get them close to the bottom price!

GaryPanic

Local time
Yep.. but when they have been seasawing (?) all over the place

statsman

Local time
Yesterday, 21:58
Ferengi Rule of Acquistion #23

The best time to sell stocks is just before they hit the top while there are still plenty of buyers.

The best time to buy stocks is just as they start to turn up, while there are still plenty of sellers.

Newman

Québécois
Local time
I give the dough to my bank and they do the job for me. I don't have to worry about «Should I sell?» or «Should I buy?». I gave 10k last year and it was at 11.2 after 12 months. Altough it fell back to 10.8 this month, I don't have to worry since it always pay in long terms. I am only 37 and want to leave it there 'till retirement.

GaryPanic

Local time
I have premium bonds , and these are paying back at a rate of interst of around 4-5 %.while its not great I know that my money safe and that I can get at it pretty easly and the moment of fun when i get an letter from the Premium Bond man (ERNIE) is actual great. and you never know i just might win the big one ...
(I have of course , the usual ISA (Stocks and shares) but these have taken a hit in the last week. yes they will bounce back *(I Hope))

and a pension fund, with 25+ years to go this little blip should have no effect, its only in the last years that you need to be concerned.

g

statsman

Local time
I keep my spending money in my trouser pockets.
I keep my savings in silver dollars in a sock.

Last edited:

RexesOperator

Registered User.
Local time
I keep my spending money in my pocket.
I keep my savings in silver dollars in a sock under my bed.

That's loonie! :D

(A pun.)

For non-Canadian residents, we have a non-circulating commerative silver dollar issued every year, as well as a nickel-bronze circulating dollar coin called a loonie. It has a picture of a loon - a bird - on the back.)

R

Rich

That's loonie! :D

(A pun.)

For non-Canadian residents, we have a non-circulating commerative silver dollar issued every year, as well as a nickel-bronze circulating dollar coin called a loonie. It has a picture of a loon - a bird - on the back.)

Are they worth any money?:confused:

statsman

Local time
Are they worth any money?:confused:

Exactly 1 Canadian dollar each.

We also have a twonie coin (in some places called a doub-loon) which is worth 2 dollars.

I was hoping the Canadians would recognize the quote from the Stephen Leacock story "My Financial Career".

Last edited:

RexesOperator

Registered User.
Local time
Exactly 1 Canadian dollar each.

We also have a twonie coin (in some places called a doub-loon) which is worth 2 dollars.

I've never heard it called a doub-loon. But you missed the best part - it has a polar bear on the reverse and an effigy of the Queen on the obverse. Meaning it has a picture of the Queen with a bear behind!

I was hoping the Canadians would recognize the quote from the Stephen Leacock story "My Financial Career".

Your age and breadth of knowledge are showing. I must admit I don't know any quotes from Stephen Leacock! I would venture not many outside of Ontario know who he is! For Americans think Garrison Keillor and Lake Woebegon (sp). I don't know who to compare him to in British literary circles.

statsman

Local time
For those who care (both of you) Stephen Leacock was born in England but spent most of his life in Canada.
He was the Professor of Economics at McGill University. Some of his economics texts are still in use.
It was his hobby as a humourist for which he is best remembered, especially "Sunshine Sketches of a Small Town", which he set in the fictional town of Mariposa, which bears a remarkable resemblance to Orillia Ontario where he had a summer home.

go to http://www.editoreric.com/greatlit/authors/Leacock.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom