str variable in dlookup criteria (1 Viewer)

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 12:43
This is making me crazy.

Why does this work when the text box is used and not when the variable is used directly?

Code:
Private Sub Command61_Click()
Dim strDBName As String
strDBName = getDBName()
Me.Text59 = strDBName

Me.Text62 = DLookup("[ModuleName]", "tblModule", "[DatabaseName] = text59")

'Me.Text64 = DLookup("[ModuleName]", "tblModule", "[DatabaseName] = " & strDBName)
'Me.Text64 = DLookup("[ModuleName]", "tblModule", "[DatabaseName] = strDBName")
'Me.Text64 = DLookup("[ModuleName]", "tblModule", "[DatabaseName]" = strDBName)

End Sub

Text62 returns the correct value
Text64 failes on everyone of the examples

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:43
because you need to use single quotations around the target i.e.

'Me.Text64 = DLookup("[ModuleName]", "tblModule", "[DatabaseName] = ." & strDBName & "'")

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 12:43
CJ,

There is a typo in the code you pasted.

Code:
'Me.Text64 = DLookup("[ModuleName]", "tblModule", "[DatabaseName] = ." & strDBName & "'") 

should read:

'Me.Text64 = DLookup("[ModuleName]", "tblModule", "[DatabaseName] = ' " & strDBName & "'")

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 09:43
This should have also worked:

Me.Text64 = DLookup("[ModuleName]", "tblModule", "[DatabaseName] = " & Chr(34) & strDBName & Chr(34))

ions

Access User
Local time
Today, 09:43
I also prefer to use Chr(34). It's a good habit to get into because if the string itself contains ' (i.e. Company's Database) you will get a runtime error. With chr(34) you will never get a runtime error so I prefer to use it over "'". It's just a good habit.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:43
To understand why/how this works, look at the code as though it works like this:

DLookup( "A", "B", "C" ) internally does something very similar to this:

tQRY = "SELECT " & A & " FROM " & B & " WHERE " & C & " ; "

Then it opens a recordset of that query and reads the first returned record, which contains a single field as specified by your "A" argument. That is returned as your answer in whatever format is required. The result of DLookup comes back as a variant but using syntax of "X = variant" silently converts the variant format to the format of X so you never see the difference.

You can see that in order for this process to work, you have to do a string substitution in each case, which requires proper quoting. Consider doing that substitution directly iv VBA vs. using DLookup using the three cases you posted. The case of {"[]" = var} is not going to play well in substitution.

Now, purists might question whether what I posted is EXACTLY what is done inside Access, but I'm just saying it is very SIMILAR to what I showed you. If you think of the domain aggregates in that context, you'll never go wrong.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:43
I also prefer to use Chr(34).
Don't disagree but I prefer the use of the replace function to replace single quotes with two single quotes - particularly when updating a table or accepting user input.

replace(strDBName,"'","''")

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom