Strange fad in th USA (1 Viewer)

Knildon

Learning by Default
Local time
Today, 08:15
Do people in other countries see this (I call it strange) fad where guys wear their trousers below their butts and their underwear shows?
I was at the grocery store today and overheard a fairly loud conversation between two people about this very subject. One person was telling the other that the guys that do this are really gay and they are advertising to other gays that they are available.
Makes sense to me and also reminds of a story/joke that was going around in the 50’s. I guess I’m telling my age!!
There was a guy walking backwards on the sidewalk with his sex organ hanging out of his pants. When asked what he was doing, he replied that he was trolling for queers (gays in this age). Sounds like the same theory to me.
[FONT=&quot]Anyhow, is this a trend in other countries throughout the world and if so what do you think about it?

Don
[/FONT]

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:15
I believe this type of behaviour may have originated in prisons where men would advertise themselves to being available to other men by allowing their trousers to drop below the waist.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Do people in other countries see this (I call it strange) fad where guys wear their trousers below their butts and their underwear shows?
I was at the grocery store today and overheard a fairly loud conversation between two people about this very subject. One person was telling the other that the guys that do this are really gay and they are advertising to other gays that they are available.
Makes sense to me and also reminds of a story/joke that was going around in the 50’s. I guess I’m telling my age!!
There was a guy walking backwards on the sidewalk with his sex organ hanging out of his pants. When asked what he was doing, he replied that he was trolling for queers (gays in this age). Sounds like the same theory to me.
[FONT=&quot]Anyhow, is this a trend in other countries throughout the world and if so what do you think about it?

Don
[/FONT]

IN this country I would say it seems to be a gangsta wannabe type fashion, though this then moved into the indy geeky look. Prison getup, to gansta get up to skinny, pasty faced middle class kids.

Possible - I'd love to know the truth of its origins.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 22:15
[FONT=&quot]Anyhow, is this a trend in other countries throughout the world and if so what do you think about it?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Don[/FONT]

Down here we have young girls that wear very short skirts, bikini tops and little else.

We call this type of activity "good".

You can have your Pig's Ears and we will just have something "good" to look at.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I have heard that it is based on the prison regulation of not allowing belts and thus trousers slipping down the waist, it was then taken up by youths as a sign of their street cred .

I cannot vouch for the authenticity of this.

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Down here we have young girls that wear very short skirts, bikini tops and little else.

We call this type of activity "good".

What do you mean by very little else, no under wear or tights?

Very short skirts and tights are common here. It is not always good as that depends on the legs and cheeks.

Brian

dhop1990

Registered User.
Local time
It is an odd style. Living in the USA myself, it doesn't happen as often among adults unless they come from certain backgrounds. It's a matter of cultural influence, people just follow the crowd, even in smaller community fads such as this.

I would say this is something that is more common in more juvenile crowds and crowds that prescribe to a scene where wearing very baggy jeans is "in".

This is nothing new, it has been around since the 1990s. Go to youtube and find some Tupac videos. From experience I would say this trend is much more common in hiphop fans than say database management professionals.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:15
Fortunately some businesses and communities have banned baggy pants. My wife and daughters (teenagers) think it is disgusting to see someone's underwear in public.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
It doesn't affect me or what I wear or do, so I could care less. Most swimsuits nowadays show much more skin than the underwear they show, but we don't complain about that. Who cares?

I say live and let live, really.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
What happened to Straight Cut Jeans too...

The only jeans I see when I go shopping for my children, are jeans in the shape of an upturned letter 'U'

Surely they make the wearer look like they have been riding a horse all their life...

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 05:15
It is just the uniform look of younger folks these days. Every generation seems to have regrettable fashion statements with the intent of proving the wearer is an individual and independent rebel just like the rest of their generation (and like a lot of us were back in the day).

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
It is just the uniform look of younger folks these days. Every generation seems to have regrettable fashion statements with the intent of proving the wearer is an individual and independent rebel just like the rest of their generation (and like a lot of us were back in the day).

That is very true, Im a Rave child from that era, and I can remember wearing a Mustard and Purple coloured jump suit and I thought I looked the Business... oh dear...

Luckily no pictures exist... ;) :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom