Suggested changes to reputation points (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 08:51
A recent thread by Tera, Thanks or Like in site suggestions led on to a discussion about reputation points.

I think the system is useful though like any such system it isn't perfect.

I would like to propose the following changes to the use of RPs.which I believe will make them better understood and possibly more widely used
1. Send an automatic notification to the recipient so they are aware RPs have been awarded. Although there is a list in the User CP, at the moment it seems, some members are completely unaware of this.
Perhaps do something similar to this from another Access forum (AF.net) that also uses VBulletin software.

2. Show a list in the User CP of the latest RPs awarded together with the current reputation 'power'
Again this screenshot is from the same forum

3. I agree with not allowing people to keep awarding RPs to the same person as it can badly skew the system
AF.net doesn't have that restriction and I think it is a weakness
However I feel that the AWF RP system is currently locked down too much.

If possible, can we reduce the number of RPs needed in the 'spread them about a bit' restriction so that it is possible to return to the same people a bit sooner.
I use the system quite a lot. Even so, there are some very worthy people I last 'thanked' with RPs several months ago but am still blocked from repeating the award.

Attachments

• Notifications.PNG
    Notifications.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 373
  • RepPtsGiven.PNG
    RepPtsGiven.PNG
    8.1 KB · Views: 366

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:51
Would it be possible to give a negative point, i.e. -1. Asking for a friend.:)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:51
It is in fact possible using the scales to give a negative point. I've done that on the current system.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
You may inform your 'friend' that it is already possible!
In fact I know of someone who did so a couple of days ago.
Just click 'I disapprove' instead of 'I approve' and your allocation of RPs will be deducted rather than added

If someone's rep points drop below zero, they get a red blob rather than a green one

EDIT: Doc: I wasn't going to spell it out but it was in fact you who I was referring to ...and totally justified in my opinion.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
1. I cannot find a method to do that. This site uses a different version of vBulletin compared to the other site you mention.

2. I've had a look and cannot find a way to do that.

3. I've looked at this and there are quite a few factors that go into the reputation system. It is not just based on date.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
1. I cannot find a method to do that. This site uses a different version of vBulletin compared to the other site you mention.

2. I've had a look and cannot find a way to do that.

3. I've looked at this and there are quite a few factors that go into the reputation system. It is not just based on date.

Jon
That's a great shame but thanks very much for checking
I thought perhaps wrongly that you had a newer version of vBulletin but perhaps there are different editions of the app

Even if you can't do 1 & 2, is there anything that can be done in response to point 3?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I have attached the Reputation scoring details. Let everybody chip in with some opinion.

Attachments

• Reputation_options.jpg
    Reputation_options.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 193

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 04:51
Thanks for the info/spec sheet, one of my biggest mysteries have been solved!

I would vote that the Reputatuon Spread be reduced. Would halving it (10) be unreasonable?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Mr Nautical, since no one has replied, I have done a halfway-house solution. I've reduced the Reputation Spread from 20 to 14. You get the extra 1 reduction due to being such a jolly chap!

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Mr Nautical, since no one has replied, I have done a halfway-house solution. I've reduced the Reputation Spread from 20 to 14. You get the extra 1 reduction due to being such a jolly chap!

I'll take it!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Jon
Many thanks for this info.
I now understand exactly why my reputation power is currently 21 points

Any reason why the info in that screenshot can't be made public to all users?

Anyway, having been out all day, I would strongly support reducing the spread further to 10 or even less than that. In my opinion, there are around 10 members here who make regular high quality contributions thus deserving of more than one allocation of RPs.

Also please double the first item from 5 to 10.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I missed this before, and I agree with Colin that it should be easier for established members to spread the love a bit easier.

Peace and happiness!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@isladogs, just upped it from 5 to 10 as requested. I'm keeping the spread at 14 for now, since I like to act as an anchor, a drag, on requests. The software creators have a think about issues relating to this feature, so moving the needle too far may have unintended consequences. I could be wrong too.

In any case, it has moved in the right direction, you have more knowledge on how the system works now and you can see the last 10 reps. All good!

That screenshot is now public.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks Jon
Great to see you here so frequently at the moment.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
You're welcome. Yeah, I've got the urge. It seems quite fun around here!

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Certainly it has not been boring over the last few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom