Sword fighting in the garden whilst drunk ! (1 Viewer)

Marlin47

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:50
Went to dinner last night with my wife. A chum of ours here in the village writes books on the 19th . century Royal Navy. He and his wife had cooked a dinner as eaten by officers of the Navy when at sea.

No hors douvres, we went straight to the main course. This was pickled beef,
or " salt horse " as it was known in the Navy. The vegetables were sauerkraut
( pickled cabbage ) and bottled beet root. To bulk it out there were plenty of sea biscuits ( hard tack, as the British Army calls it ). The last course was as much Cheddar cheese as one could eat. The cheese was accompanied by unlimited amounts of " fresh " onions, although my chum had picked them from his garden
months ago in order to simulate Royal Navy " freshness " !

Fortunately, none of the food was infested with weevils, since when he cultivated
his own weevils for a similar meal two years ago ( no delicatessen he tried actually sold them over the counter ! ), he had to have his house fumigated since the little buggers infested it.

The nicest parts were the unlimited quantities of fine Madeira wine ( as drunk by British naval officers three hundred years ago ), and the superb Jamaica rum ( ditto ).

Now, I know my rum, since when I worked in Havana a few years ago, we were given a large beaker of Cuban rum every morning. Jamaican rum knocks spots off the Cuban stuff !

We finished with a choice of either hot chocolate or Kenyan coffee, which with copious amounts of fine French Cognac, brought the meal to a grateful and much relieved finish. Our host, who is a black powder marksman with his Brown Bess musket, stirred a large pinch of gunpowder into his coffee - apparently it wards off scurvy.

Everything tasted disgusting, but I wouldn't have missed it for a King's ransom !
However, being as drunk as a skunk, I did forego the cutlass drill he offered as an after dinner diversion..........,, that was just as well, because after twenty
minutes of sword fighting practice in the garden, the services of my wife ( she is a surgeon ) were much in need !

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Today, 04:50
I thought your wife was a celebrity????

I always like to plan my annual ski-ing holiday well in advance. We usually go to
Gstaadt if only because their treatment of celebrity VIP's. ( not me, but my wife, whose show business background assures us first class treatment ).

That's what you said about her in another post..

Or is she a celebrity Surgeon... ;) :p

Marlin47

Registered User.
Local time
She is a "celebrity ". she also happens to be a surgeon. The two are not incompatible.
Unless you are talking about the likes of Paris Hilton, for example, who is capable of only being only a " celebrity " and nothing else.

scott-atkinson

Local time
I do think Mr Marlin, that although I find your posts very entertaining, and I enjoy reading them, that they are mostly based in fiction...

I doubt very much that the Show Business background that you say your wife comes from and the Surgeon aspect would be compatible, as both would rely on a large amount of dedication to maintain their respective art, not to mention training... and I doubt that that would be compatible...

As mentioned I do enjoy reading your posts for entertainment factor, but if your going to tell Porkie Pies then at least make them consistant... a 5 year old could have spotted that glaring error...

Marlin47

Registered User.
Local time
I do think Mr Marlin, that although I find your posts very entertaining, and I enjoy reading them, that they are mostly based in fiction...

I doubt very much that the Show Business background that you say your wife comes from and the Surgeon aspect would be compatible, as both would rely on a large amount of dedication to maintain their respective art, not to mention training... and I doubt that that would be compatible...

As mentioned I do enjoy reading your posts for entertainment factor, but if your going to tell Porkie Pies then at least make them consistant... a 5 year old could have spotted that glaring error...

Do you honestly believe that I give a tinkers cuss as to your opinion ?
Just tell me where I have ever said that my wife is " from a show business background " ? My Mother was, but not my wife. She is just a "celebrity "
and one can be that without being in show business.

You are clearly the sort of dolt who in their struggle to add two plus two invariably makes five......provided, that is, if you have a responsible adult to help you count your fingers, but then that presupposes that you have five fingers on each hand anyway. My guess is that they are probably deformed fish like flippers.

scott-atkinson

Local time
Somebody is having a tantrum....

oh dear.. did you get found out... such a shame...

I hope you don't stop posting as I do find it entertaining...

:D

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:50
Let me say that if someone every was stupid enough to engage in sword-play while drunk, I would find it very hard to be sympathetic if their actions resulted in blood loss or worse.

I'm unhappy around edged weapons, drunk OR sober. I'm a distance-weapons person myself; archery forever! But semi-automatic pistols are a good second choice.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
She is just a "celebrity "
and one can be that without being in show business.

But you said you were bothered by a fan of hers for an autograph in a restaurant, was that a grateful patient?

So what specialty is your wife in?

Col

scott-atkinson

Local time
Col,

I wouldn't bother mate, he would just make something else up...

He got found out and threw his toys out the pram... I doubt he will even be back...

Shame I liked his fictitious stories, even if he personally was a dingbat...

Knildon

Learning by Default
Local time
Yesterday, 23:50
Something I learned many years ago was that if you want to be a story teller then you better have a good memory because there are other people out there that may have a better memory than you!!!

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom