Synchronize Options in Access 2010 (1 Viewer)

Larry

Local time
Today, 00:46
Since I found out that replicate is no longer available in Access 2010, I have been stumped about what the "new way" to replicate is.

I have a situation which requires multiple users to use laptops not connected to the network. Then they will try to synchronize with the main database daily (or maybe even weekly) on the company network. (We are not using a server, so the main database is stored on a PC. I am running this on all Windows 7 platforms)

I am seeing that Sharepoint seems to be the only option. (Is this possible to do in a system running off a computer and not a server? How difficult would it be to set up?) My programming is minimal as I learned most of it before 1986 (MS Basic) and although I have coded some controls in my new database, I am not comfortable with longer involved code. If this is my only option, Is there a good manual for beginners to learn code?

Thanks again in advance for your help.

Larry

Last edited:

XS-Bob

Local time
Today, 02:46
We use SQL Server Express 2005. I don't believe you need a server for the main database. SQL Server Express 2008 is also available. Both are free. Coding is not needed.

dfenton

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:46
It is entirely incorrect to say that replication is unavailable in A2010. It is true that the ACCDB format, introduced in A2007, does not support replication, but if you continue to use MDB format for the back end with your data tables in it, you can continue to use Jet Replication.

MS's replacement for Jet Replication is Sharepoint synchronization. It actually is a better setup, as it requires no client setup (Jet Replication requires none for direct replication, but in most situations you need indirect replication to be safe, so there's a lot of additional stuff has to be installed and properly configured for it to work). But it's been unclear to me exactly which versions of Sharepoint Server 2010 support data synchronization, i.e., whether you have to buy the really expensive enterprise version or if you can do the job with the lesser versions.

An alternative is hosted Sharepoint, which generally gives you access to full enterprise Sharepoint for a monthly fee. Whether or not that's acceptable in any particular situation will depend on the circumstances.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:46
Just to answer dfenton's question - basic SharePoint edition (which is free with any Windows Server product, IIUIC) supports the capability to synchronize data. I believe the ability to synchronize Access objects does require more expensive version but I've not found the ability to synchronize design objects very interesting as synchronizing just the data anyway.

If having a Windows Server and therefore SharePoint Foundation edition is too much to ask for, the alternative is to consider using a server-based RDBMS which you can use as a central repository. While you cannot work in disconnected fashion with a ODBC-linked tables, this may be actually sufficient if your geographically disperse users are just working in the office and thus always have a connection available. This wouldn't work for travelling salesman, though.

Larry

Local time
Today, 00:46
Thank you all,

I appreciate the help. Am running into trouble with the SQLserver Express 2008 (Actually having install trouble :) ), so will start looking at Sharepoint synchronization. Iwant to do this right so that all updates help instead of leave me messed up!

Thanks again to Bob, David (who is all over the web!) and Banana (whoever you really are!)

Larry

thomas.dahl

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:46
Hi Larry, sorry for coming back to such an old post. I am in the same position as you were a few years ago. How did you resolve your problem as I have exactly the same situation as you did then?

It would be great to find out how you solved it.

Thank you for your help.
Regards Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom