Table inserted into form no longer expands after db is split (1 Viewer)

Helystra

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:19
I have elected to have tables inserted into my forms. For example on the School Information form, I have the Employees table inserted at the bottom so that it will show the employees that are assigned to that school when it's pulled up.

Before I split my database into a BE/FE situation, I could expand the items in the tables to other related items, but now that option is gone.

Is there any way to get that back with a split database?

eirman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:19
I've been following your main thread with interest. You certainly have taken on a complicated db as you very first enterprise! Suggestion .... have a look at the structure of some of the sample databases on this forum.
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64

To quote your specific issue .....
Before I split my database into a BE/FE situation, I could expand the items in the tables to other related items, but now that option is gone.

I can't quite understand your problem. Could you explain it in more detail ?
Include sample files or screenshots if possible.

Helystra

Registered User.
Local time
Yes. It wasn't originally supposed to be this complicated. But as I started workign on it, the powers that be kept asking for it to be able to track more and more information. I got my original in use and am now workign on trying to add in some of the other stuff they've asked for.

Before I split the database, at the bottom of my Employee Information form (for example) I had a inserted a table object that showed the school table with the information for the school to which that employee was assigned.

You could click on the little plus sign at the left edge of the row and it would expand into a sub data sheet with other information that was also attached to that school like who the supervisor was that was assigned to that school etc.

After the split that expandable subdatasheet option isn't there anymore. I'm not sure if I can get that back since the actual tables are not part of the front end database anymore.

Helystra

Registered User.
Local time
Here is a screenshot of the expandable subdatasheet I was talking about in the table itself on the backend of the DB.

Attachments

• Expandable Subdatasheet.jpg
    Expandable Subdatasheet.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 88

eirman

Registered User.
Local time
Last edited:

Helystra

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry I just found your reply. The parent and child linked fields for both the form and the table attached at the bottom would be the primary/foreign key fields that link the tables on the back end.

So on the Employee Information form I would link the employeeID with the SchoolID from the Schools table.

Then I attached the schools table at the bottom of the employee form so that the user could see all the school related information that employee was assigned to. And before I split the db, you could expand the school row into a subtable that showed the other employees that were assigned to that school and so on.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I suspect this is to do with where you have the relationships defined. From what you are describing, they nd to be in the front end

Helystra

Registered User.
Local time
Yes. Once i re-established the subtables on the back end and updated relationships on the front end, my expansion button returned to my tables that were nested in my forms.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom