Question Tasks to give to someone learning VBA (1 Viewer)

Some

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:42
Hi All;

I'm currently working alongside someone on an access database who knows nothing about VBA and has used macros up until now and I've been tasked with bringing him up to my level.

He knows how to read my VBA but doesn't understand the fundementals of it such as events and it's hard to explain without context.

Do you guys have any ideas of tasks I could set for him to learn from, such as creating a calculator using VBA and forms or possible other elements of access.

Thanks-

Some

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
if you are learning on the job, better to learn in context. Can you not pass over one or two of your development tasks, or part thereof for him to have a go at?

Macro's are pretty much triggered by events so perhaps get him to write in what he knows - a macro - then convert to VBA

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
One thing I might try in your position would be to get him to write AND implement a very simple function

eg

Distance = speed x time - or like CJ a more work specific function.

Real simple stuff to show the principles and just see if he can implement his calculation within a form.

and show how he can place the function in a module and call it from places like queries and events within forms.

Some

Registered User.
Local time
Due to the complexity of the work I can't really hand it over to him he wouldn't know where the begin and rather than a steady rise in difficulty he would be hitting a brick wall.

I've recomended some reading for him its just we need a step between reading and working on the full database.

Some

Registered User.
Local time
Though these are good resources you don't really learn from it problem solving/logical thinking which I think is the key part of any programming language.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:42
I think you're looking too hard.
When you say
Due to the complexity of the work I can't really hand it over to him he wouldn't know where the begin and rather than a steady rise in difficulty he would be hitting a brick wall.
, I think you have an issue with the tasks at hand. To give a piece of something to a "newbie/trainee" you have to be able to communicate what the issue is in newbie terms.

If you want a newbie to gain experience, they can read, watch or do something. The key is to identify the something that makes sense to you and the newbie.

Assign the newbie a specific task, but make sure you identify and communicate WHAT the problem/issue/opportunity is (in terms the newbie understands). You can't expect him/her to do the "complex project", but if you set reasonable goals for the newbie, communicate and clarify WHAT is expected, I'm sure you can achieve some mutual rapport and success.

599CD has a lot of good Access tutorials; there are youtube video tutorials (of various quality) dealing with issues and vba; FunctionX vba tutorials are a well respected resource..

I'm not convinced that vba is the proper topic is you're looking for critical thinking and logic.

Perhaps you should tell us in 2 or 3 lines an example of WHAT you're expecting. And then show us a sample in some programming language.

Critical thinking

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom