TempVars vs Type Variables (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 02:49
at the time I answered that question, my wife was calling me downstairs for a spot "honey do" task.
It's one of those days ... My task today was washing the bathtub. When I was done she came in to glance at it and I shined my phone's flashlight at it so it appeared to be glistening :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:49
I stuck with the form because in addition to being able to support all the variables I needed, I had the ability to make them visible which was a huge help when I was testing new features. I could change the values without having to log off and log on again.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:49
my view on tempvars is they are another prop/method for simplifying things for those who don't want or have the time to do things properly. Ok they can be referenced in queries - so can a function or reference to a form control. To my mind their main difference is they retain their value in the event of crash - so the developer can simply say 'click the continue button' and carry on and not bother with proficient error handling.

I'm old school and develop solid and reliable applications but I do accept there are a lot of users out there who just want something to work, even if it limps along (much to the bane of IT departments) and for them a tempvar is potentially a big help - much the same as MVF's and attachment fields. After all, Access is a RAD tool and not intended as a tool for developing world class applications. That said, I've developed a large number of apps for clients large and small which are solid and reliable and meet their requirements to the extent they do not need to go looking for a world class solution :)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:49
so the developer can simply say 'click the continue button' and carry on

The "Continue" option is not always available if you are not robust in your error handling.

Access is a RAD tool and not intended as a tool for developing world class applications.

The U.S. Navy Bureau of Medicine (BUMED to those who understand Navy-speak) has an Access front-end that was developed in pure Access but then upconverted to full-blown SQL Server with an Access FE. It served the Navy's Medical Officer Training Scholarship program. That is fairly world-class and well within the normal use of Access.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 09:49
my view on tempvars is they are another prop/method for simplifying things for those who don't want or have the time to do things properly. Ok they can be referenced in queries - so can a function or reference to a form control. To my mind their main difference is they retain their value in the event of crash - so the developer can simply say 'click the continue button' and carry on and not bother with proficient error handling.

I'm old school and develop solid and reliable applications but I do accept there are a lot of users out there who just want something to work, even if it limps along (much to the bane of IT departments) and for them a tempvar is potentially a big help - much the same as MVF's and attachment fields. After all, Access is a RAD tool and not intended as a tool for developing world class applications. That said, I've developed a large number of apps for clients large and small which are solid and reliable and meet their requirements to the extent they do not need to go looking for a world class solution :)
My thoughts were, if you put a form reference in the query criteria, then that query is tied to that form?
I wanted the queries to be used from more than just one form.? That seemed a good way to do it?

When I worked as an admin person in a bank a few years back, IT would not supply what the department needed, so they asked me to create them something to use.?
The IT dept still charged my dept £11K to vet it for governance, when the CEO found out about this DB.
Any of the experts here could have vetted it in a day. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom