The Bizarre Jussie Smollett Trial (1 Viewer)

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Today, 07:17
Some might say there is objective reality, whilst others say it is all subjective reality.
so the reality is of various types now, journalists have always been influencers in the world, deciding what they want people to believe or not.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:17
I used to see journalists deciding on where to point the lens. Nowadays, I see most of them deciding what that lens is made of.

Reality => Lens => Alternative Reality

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 10:17
FB_IMG_1640405959313.jpg

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I agree @Pat Hartman
This "your truth" and "my truth" is nonsense.
There is just the Truth.

We can honorably disagree about what it is, but pity the civilization that loses its grasp on the existence of it.

All Smollett/grumpy cat memes aside, what Chicago needs as much as possible of is this:

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
so if there is a bottle that is filled to 50 percent of its capacity.

One person says its half full

The other says its half empty

Who is saying the truth?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
so if there is a bottle that is filled to 50 percent of its capacity.

One person says its half full

The other says its half empty

Who is saying the truth?

I think the truth depends on which direction things are going../..happening...

If a good thing is slowly being depleted, it makes the most sense to take note of that aspect.

If a good thing is slowly but surely increasing and coming, it makes the most sense to take note of that aspect

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
I think the truth depends on which direction things are going../..happening...
You are correct, also the information available or not available to the person saying the truth.

Sometimes information is distorted by the media to make people believe a lie as the truth

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Who is saying the truth?
Neither. They are offering an opinion of their assessment of the contents of the bottle. "Truth" would be measured in ounces. Some people are better at estimating than others and as Issac implied, how they "feel" about what they see is reflected in what they said. That is how opinions work. That's mine, and I'm stickin' to it:)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
If all we have is opinions, is truth even knowable?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The problem lies with English in this case. Just replying "half" to the question seems incomplete so people add "full" or "empty" but that is a matter of perspective and that's what makes the statement an opinion. But replying "12 ounces" or "50%" doesn't need any modifier so they are a clear statement of fact. They might be incorrect because a person is not likely to actually measure the remaining contents so in reality, even the answer that sounds like a fact is still an opinion unless the responder made the effort to actually measure the contents. Generally we think of these statements as "close enough for government work". They're estimates but probably close enough to be considered true. However, when Trump estimated crowd sizes, the media went berserk. "He's lying". "Everything he says is a lie". And they get out their magnifying glass and try to count the people in the crowd. "He said there were 25,000 but there were really only 24,980". "He lied"

So, your "test" doesn't prove that truth is subjective. All it proves is that people confuse opinion with fact all the time.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Perhaps because 100% accuracy is 100% unknowable, we should say all facts are most likely to be false. But pragmatically, they are useful. I'm playing around here of course, just throwing in a different "opinion" (100% wrong by my own reasoning!). :LOL:

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
If all we have is opinions, is truth even knowable?
truth is opinion based on information(i.e accurate information)
but opinion can also exist without accurate information.

Finally, sometimes information is progressive, i.e it comes in piecemeal and opinions are formed based on the extent of information available per time, which means opinions might change over time.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Smollett has now been sentenced. Just 150 days (likely to only serve 75 days) for this very costly trial. What sickens me is that undoubtedly the Left will turn Smollett into a martyr, someone persecuted by a racist justice system. They don't care about the Nigerian brothers who Smollett threw under the bus.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Smollett highlights the corruption of our legal system that now biases the application of "justice" based on political ideology.
Smollett because he is Black, his hoax was immediately accepted as true and the Black community rallied around him. As the hoax unraveled, the prosecutor, Kim Foxx, who is black purposely obstructed the filing of the charges against Smollett.

Additionally, just prior to the sentencing BLM (a Black racist organization), asked the judge for a lenient sentence, as if 150 days was somehow onerous.
--------------------------------------------------------
Compare that to the treatment by the law enforcement and the judicial system of those who participated in the January 6, 2021 rally at the US Capital. In that situation, the 'QAnon Shaman' was sentenced to approximately 1,230 days in prison for simply walking around the Capital building, significantly more than Smollett's 150 days for a vile racist hoax.

Additionally, unlike the Smollett case where the prosecutor attempted to dismiss the charges, the chief prosecutor for January 6th, Attorney General Merrick B. Garland, is aggressively attempting to file charges against those who participated on January 6th and has apparently appointed an FBI task-force hit-squad to identify as many participants as possible for potential prosecution. There is also a congressional witch hunt attempting to designate as many people as possible culpable for January 6th.

There is a difference of scale. Smollett is one person. Thousands of people participated in January6th. Nevertheless, these two events highlight that the legal system has been corrupted to avoid prosecuting certain people based on race and politics while aggressively persecuting those who belong to the "wrong" race and have "incorrect" political views.

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Getting evermore bizarre.
"Uche criticized the special prosecutor’s decision to charge Smollett a second time after the initial charges were dropped by Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx and Smollett paid a fine. "It is unconstitutional to charge someone twice," Uche said, explaining that Smollett had initially paid a $10,000 fine and did community service."
The statement above is extremely incredulous. If the charges were dropped, it seems they can be re-imposed without prejudice. Two factors play into this. First, this is not an attempt to recharge a person after that person was found "not guilty", which would be a violation of the Constitution. Second, the initial prosecutor (Kim Foxx) was unjustifiably attempting to drop the criminal charges against Smollett. Based on those factors, Smollett's release would be inappropriate based on those reasons. Of course he has the right of appeal.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Just read an article on this myself. What a joke!

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
It's weird how the leftwing / woke folks always seem to get the benefit of the doubt. They always seem to make bail and have allies within the justice system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom