The Good Life and how to get it (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:53
The ancient Greeks used to talk about living with Arete, or virtue. The Good Life was to be had by trying to be your best at every given moment. The Buddhists would say that a good life comes from accepting that Dukkha (suffering) is part of nature. Then, try to reduce it by following the tenets in the Noble Eightfold Path.

Years ago, I started a forum off called The Three Circles. It was about a Venn diagram covering health, wealth and love. Where they overlap is where happiness is generated. It is a concept I stole from elsewhere. It never took off. No one wanted the Good Life! The idea was as follows...

Improve the following to improve your life:
  • Health
  • Wealth
  • Love
  • Happiness
For you, what is your own philosophy about how to get The Good Life? Or do you leave it to chance?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 13:53
the very basic...
seek first the Kingdom of God, and ALL things shall be added to you.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Well I'm blowed, I just watched this video This Morning:-

What makes a good life? Lessons from the longest study on happiness | Robert Waldinger

It's a study of around 700 men over the last 70 years, (You can glean the exact figures by watching the video) The Conclusion of the study is that happiness is about relationships with your most significant other, family, and the community. I was amazed to hear that having a good relationship with your spouse isn't about both agreeing on everything, as a good healthy disagreement from time to time is very beneficial!

Not saying anything else!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Yeah Uncle, I saw that one a few years back. Was it studying guys from Harvard or something and how they progressed through life?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Was it studying guys from Harvard or something and how they progressed through life?

Yes I think it was Harvard. They studied two groups one group, well healed and educated, the other group from, I think it was deprived areas of New York? I seem to recall there's only about 70 people left? A few years ago they started studying their spouses. The study is remarkable in its longevity, spanning 70 odd years, which is unheard of for this type, well, for any type of study I believe.

Reactions: Jon

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 22:53
I've noticed for myself that consciously, daily, appreciating all that I have is a big start towards feeling happy. And thanking Him from whom it comes.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Be content in whatever God provides you (I am still working on that).

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:53
I have the love of a family (even as a step-dad) and the love of two great grandsons. (The third I don't know 'cause he's three states away most of the time.) I have a house that is paid for and even before the corona virus isolation, we were saving money, i.e. income > outgo. I have a big-screen TV (which helps for my old blurry eyes) and several hundred DVD/BlueRay/4K movies. I can still take walks when the weather permits (though the last couple of days have been too wet.) I have most of what I want and don't miss my old job that much. My liver is cooperating, albeit grudgingly, and I don't have any other immediate issues that I know about.

I think I kind of fell into the good life. The only thing I wish we could do is travel more, but when school comes back in, we might have grandson duty and if so, we get locked in for that. But otherwise, all seems good right now.

Reactions: Jon

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yes !!!!!!! Amen

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom