The Northwind 2 Project (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 19:37
I just downloaded the Dev Edition. @GPGeorge: I know you all planted some Easter Eggs, where are they??

Edit: an ever-present, always listening Error Handling Class Module - very impressive!

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Yesterday, 16:37
Both are definitely available in the current version of A365.

I've only looked at the 2 new templates very briefly but my initial impressions are very positive.
A lot of work went into making these 2 new versions both wide ranging for different levels of user but also to show good practice.

It wouldn't be appropriate for me to attach them here as they are not my files.
Microsoft has not yet OFFICIALLY released the templates. There's one more meeting today, in fact, to finalize and bless the official release.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
I just downloaded the Dev Edition. @GPGeorge: I know you all planted some Easter Eggs, where are they??

Edit: an ever-present, always listening Error Handling Class Module - very impressive!
If you do find "Easter Eggs", please be so kind as to let us know for the NW 2.1 version. ;)

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
So,
it is taking a year to complete this?

That has nothing to do with the volunteers, imo. It's probably a red tape more than volunteers time or skill, etc.

To provide some food for thoughts, two ppl created this in 10 hrs or so and still wip. Will be finished in next 10 hrs.

northwind.pythonanywhere.com

Anyone knowing current Northwind Template should be familiar with this app. As a bonus,
quite a few steps on Help are documented for a "would be" developer.

Can't wait to see the NT2 tho!
One of the reasons we were patient in developing this product was knowing that we wanted it to meet the highest possible standards. We think it will stand up well in that regard, but anticipate all kinds of feedback, regardless. It is not a "work in progress", although we do anticipate wanting to come back over time to ensure it's as good as it can be.

As Tom and Kim pointed out in the DAAUG presentation Jack linked in above, it took the efforts of many, many people, including accessibility and security reviews to make sure it meets MS standards, Video producers, documentation writers and editors, beta testers and my granddaughter who graciously allowed me to spend my time on something other than her.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 00:37
So I presume you have only joined to slag off this project? or to advertise your project? :(

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
OK - I bit and took a look - nothing there except a 'coming soon' flag - not much for 20 hours work of 2 people

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I also posted on techcommunity.microsoft.com and no one complained...

You did not think of that I wish it's better Template than it actually is? Start with sorting. It's not that hard.
Not complaining, merely asking a question?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Found the site - there are things to criticise there, main one off the top of my head being lack of consistency in presentation of controls - in particular the 'add new' button.

I haven't seen NW2 yet - I'll wait for the presentation later today, Yours shows what can be done however if NW2 is like other templates you can look behind to see how it can be done - I don't see any of that in your offering

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
The Tmplate

I think it is still in WIP, ie, am I blind or there is no "Close" button on this Form? Sure the shortcut is working, but...

Also, after login, there is no Dashboard, correct? This is somewhat regression from the old version.

No password? Right.
No sorting on Orders Columns? Whow!

And yet, we talking best practises.

That is not something that should pass a QA.

Guys, maybe visit

northwind.pythonanywhere.com

and see the work of TWO people, in 20 hours or less. Not many, many people.

I'm deeply disappointed. This is year 2023. MS could do better. Sorry about the plug tho.
Not my intention, just an example what can be done in 20hrs or so with JS. Plus,
it will be a PWA App, so...

Or am I too harsh? Maybe 2.1 will be great ;)
Thank you for your feedback.

Over a nearly 30 year career working with Access, I've certainly seen and heard a lot of "interesting" comments of all kinds. It's all helpful, in one way or another.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm deeply disappointed. This is year 2023. MS could do better.
Too bad you weren't here to comment on design and suggest functionality to be included in the template(s) a year ago.

I'm sure the blanket request for feedback by the team applies to you and colleagues --so I recommend you forward any constructive thoughts/advice you have or discover.

I'm not sure of what the product/tools that you linked to actually do. I have seen approaches that offered to do "Access/RAD" within a browser, but they have "fizzled out/lost any traction they had".

I was not aware of jam.py, but after a little searching, I see there are several youtube videos available. I will watch a few to get some overview of its scope and position/applicability.

And, welcome to the forum. It's always good to get new members with new ideas.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I will have a look despite my previous views. I am immediately impressed with the lighthouse pictures.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
I will have a look despite my previous views. I am immediately impressed with the lighthouse pictures.
Thank you, Dave.

Please don't hesitate to provide your feedback, good or bad. It's all welcome and useful.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
@accessmigration, you are missing the point, they coded the new Northwind Project in VBA to highlight VBA. You coded your Northwind Project.py in Python. This is primarily a Microsoft Access forum dealing with VBA.

If you wanted to sell your Python and migration products in a Python thread and make a comparison there I'm sure people would have taken a look and had a dialog about it. This comes across as brute force, not constructive criticism.

Last edited:

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
If you have had trouble finding the new Northwind templates in MS 365 (or other versions) and you are NOT using US regional settings, please let us know. Some people are able to find the templates by temporarily switching to English(US) region and others have not been.
1682611727896.png

Microsoft is trouble-shooting propagation of the templates, but any feedback you can provide will prove helpful. Thanks.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@GPGeorge , maybe close this thread and start a new one for comments now that the templates are available. We're 120 posts into this one. OR if there is an official site, post the link. Also, did anyone on the team ever make a nicely formatted relationship diagram you can post. The one unpacted is a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom