The Oscars (1 Viewer)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:28
I thought the Chris Rock joke was a little spicy, I've definitely heard worse, with fewer consequences.

KitaYama

Local time
Tomorrow, 05:28

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 20:28
Why are people going on about the Smith character? Who the hell cares?
Col

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I can only keep posing the questions, but if no one wants to engage in a response then that is fine by me. I still haven't heard any response to my comments regarding WIll Smith making the same joke about a bald guy who he picked on in an audience. If no one wants to address them, is it because they are inconvenient or is there some other reason. Looks like I will never know.
Can't argue with that, Jon - Yes, it's hypocritical.
Of course, it wouldn't also make sense to have the rule: "If I ever did this to anyone else, then it's OK to have it done to me".
We should strive to live by the Golden Rule, but that doesn't mean everyone else ought to be performing the Golden Rule in reverse.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Can't argue with that, Jon - Yes, it's hypocritical.
Of course, it wouldn't also make sense to have the rule: "If I ever did this to anyone else, then it's OK to have it done to me".
We should strive to live by the Golden Rule, but that doesn't mean everyone else ought to be performing the Golden Rule in reverse.
It depends on what you mean by "OK", because the term itself is vague. And OK to whom? Is it OK to eat meat - ask a Vegan.

If Will Smith punched someone else and in an unrelated incident a stranger punched Will Smith unprovoked, then I would agree. Punching is a criminal offence, whoever does it. The criminal law defines what is considered OK, at least in legal terms. But telling a joke is not criminal. Also, making fun of someone based on a lack of hair is just a joke by Will Smith's own standards. At least when *he* is poking fun at others.

To be fair, I don't know what you are referring to when you say "Golden Rule". And what is the reverse of the Golden Rule?

Edit: It is a good point you made that you should not always do unto others what they have done unto you. Because if your neighbour raped your wife, then reciprocating is not a good response.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I had a further thought: should you also punch the people who laughed at the joke?

KitaYama

Local time
Tomorrow, 05:28
I had a further thought: should you also punch the people who laughed at the joke?
Jon that's the most interesting question I've ever heard. Never thought of that. If the one who tells the joke is guilty, so are all those who laugh and heat up the atmosphere.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I think people should all live by the guidance in 'Desiderara' narrated by Les Crane. Hear it on Spotify..

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, as far as possible be on good terms with all people.........etc."

Col

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Jon that's the most interesting question I've ever heard. Never thought of that. If the one who tells the joke is guilty, so are all those who laugh and heat up the atmosphere.
Exactly.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
If you've eaten at Benihana you get this!

1649729142128.png

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:28

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
In this video the author of "Will", Mark Manson speaks very highly of Will Smith ...

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
It depends on what you mean by "OK", because the term itself is vague. And OK to whom? Is it OK to eat meat - ask a Vegan.

If Will Smith punched someone else and in an unrelated incident a stranger punched Will Smith unprovoked, then I would agree. Punching is a criminal offence, whoever does it. The criminal law defines what is considered OK, at least in legal terms. But telling a joke is not criminal. Also, making fun of someone based on a lack of hair is just a joke by Will Smith's own standards. At least when *he* is poking fun at others.

To be fair, I don't know what you are referring to when you say "Golden Rule". And what is the reverse of the Golden Rule?

Edit: It is a good point you made that you should not always do unto others what they have done unto you. Because if your neighbour raped your wife, then reciprocating is not a good response.

I just meant this:
Even if Will formerly made the very joke that he now took offense to, that doesn't necessarily mean the latter joke was OK.

Of course I think his behavior was bad, I'm just making an isolated point.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I just meant this:
Even if Will formerly made the very joke that he now took offense to, that doesn't necessarily mean the latter joke was OK.

Of course I think his behavior was bad, I'm just making an isolated point.
I understood the first time and the point you made was a good one. Part of my response was really just saying, "Who says if the joke was OK or not?" It is a bit like the argument about hate speech. Who defines what is acceptable? It is not ok to say something racist to someone black, but it is fine to have white's constantly slurred with the label "white supremacist", "white privilege" and so on.

This reminds me of the debates about objective reality verses subjective reality, and the hate speech argument is closely related. Is there an objective definition of what is considered "hate speech", or is it all subjective, and based on each individuals viewpoint? If the latter, how can you enforce laws to cater to all sides?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom