The Oscars (1 Viewer)

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Today, 05:14
don't know anything about chivalry but I will grab a door and hold it for anyone, not just women or kids. Holding doors for people who are old or having issues is one way of paying it forward. I always smile and say thank you when anyone returns the favor.
The World is so divided and people are generally self centred, hence most people are quick to look at themselves from perspective such as Sex, Race , sexual orientation etc.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:14
Not really, All.comedy that mocks others goes a long way in affecting the self esteem of people who are object of mockery.
What I am really saying is that Will Smith did exactly what Chris Rock did: he picked on someone and made a joke about their baldness. The hypocrisy stinks. How can he complain about others doing what he does himself? He is just a bully.

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
@Jon for some reason the clip you posted has sound issues on my laptop, I searched youtube but couldn't find one that played correctly.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
That is odd. Did you try opening that clip I gave in YouTube, rather than as an embedded clip? It plays fine for me.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Don't know what the issue is, sorry.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
What I am really saying is that Will Smith did exactly what Chris Rock did: he picked on someone and made a joke about their baldness. The hypocrisy stinks. How can he complain about others doing what he does himself? He is just a bully.
ok, i understand better.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
And by the way you guys, I also have had a decade-long struggle with "alopecia", so please, no bald jokes :LOL::LOL:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:14
Not really, All.comedy that mocks others goes a long way in affecting the self esteem of people who are object of mockery.

Not that I actually dispute your statement, but have you studied the psychological underpinnings of humor? Let's take a modern commercial that uses humor because there is a point I wish to make.

The commercial shows two gazelles and they notice a lion coming in the distance. One of them puts on a pair of running shoes (I'll omit the brand name). The other says, "You know that you will never outrun that lion." The gazelle with shoes says, "No, but I only have to outrun you."

This is funny and exemplifies that a LOT of humor is depicted with a "there but for the grace of God go I" theme. We empathize with the slower gazelle and realize his fate, but are relieved to not be sharing it.

If you think of various ethnic, slap-stick, or situational humor, you realize that it offers up a hapless member of some ethnicity or other kind of group as a target of disaster, and the people who laugh at the joke are exhibiting schadenfreude, a feeling of relief or pleasure at someone else's misfortune. Go visit the "best jokes" thread on this forum, which has reached a prodigious number of jokes (some repetitious) including some of my better country and Cajun stories. If you can't detect at least some schadenfreude somewhere in that mess, you aren't looking close enough.

What is the difference between these putative ethnic jokes and Chris Rock's joke? His comment was aimed at a specific (and physically present) person, not at an absent arbitrary exemplar of some group. So the question relating to your comment is whether the mocking behavior relates to an actual person who could be the exemplar of something, or does it just mock an avatar of some group? If it it mocked an avatar, would Chris's comment have been objectionable? Because it mocked someone who was physically present, did it cross the line of insults?

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 21:14
His comment was aimed at a specific (and physically present) person, not at an absent arbitrary exemplar of some group. ........ Because it mocked someone who was physically present, did it cross the line of insults?
I asked this question before. But nobody answered.
  1. Jada doesn't hide her bald head. She's trying to show she's brave enough to fight, Doesn't care how others think about her physical appearance and visual aspects.
  2. Chris called her G.I.Joe 2. Which is a character about a very strong and brave woman who shaved her head.

Now why do you think calling her an instance of a very brave and courageous woman was insulting her?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
  1. Jada doesn't hide her bald head. She's trying to show she's brave enough to fight, Doesn't care how others think about her physical appearance and visual aspects.
  2. Chris called her G.I.Joe 2. Which is a character about a very strong and brave woman who shaved her head.

Now why do you think calling her an instance of a very brave and courageous woman was insulting her?

Chris Rock crossed a line. Will Smith crossed a line. And, most importantly, when it comes to emotional responses, facts are immaterial. It is PERCERPTIONS that guide emotions. I do not excuse Will Smith for his extreme actions. His perception at the moment was that his family was being attacked. I do not excuse Chris Rock for a tasteless joke at Jada's expense. It is the nature of those events that folks try to make socially pointed commentary that causes people to squirm a bit. The comments of the three female hosts come to mind, specifically that the Academy hired three women - not because the Academy was "woke" but because three women are cheaper than one man by today's pay standards. LOTS of male/female angst involved there. The imposed schadenfreude of the Hollywood "Roast" comes to mind. Twist that barbed comment until it stings.

Jada tried to be the socially correct lady. Her, I will praise. And it appears now that the Academy is setting up some sort of punishment for Will Smith as a "bad boy" in more than name only.

AngelSpeaks

Local time

If you looked at Jada's reaction, she was extremely upset. It's very hard for a woman, especially one whose looks are important for her career, to lose something that added to her beauty. It's very brave of her to let others see her. I believe Chris was being an ass.

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Yeah, what are they going to do? What they should have done was have both Chris Rock and Will Smith removed. Yet they let Will Smith accept his Oscar. A huge punishment would be for him to watch someone else accept it for him. I remember a few years ago, how upset he was that he didn't receive a nomination for a previous serious role.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I'm really quite surprised that defenders of Will Smith's actions have not commented on the video I posted, where Will Smith does exactly what Chris Rock did, i.e. picked on someone in the audience and mocked them for their baldness. Then again perhaps I should not be surprised. If you take a stance against some behaviour and then later find the person you are defending does the same thing, your position becomes rather indefensible. So, best ignore that piece of damning evidence.

Regarding Chris and Will crossing the line, who's line? Many think that Chris's joke was mild, some think it was tasteless. Comics get paid to roast people at these events. But Will did something that crossed into criminal behaviour. Lines are very clearly drawn with regard to what you can and can't do in civilised society when it comes to physical violence. Perhaps the defenders of Will believe that these laws should be changed to allow you to assault anyone who says something you dislike. Do you really want to live in that world? But lets ignore the legal aspect for a second. Do you really think the lines have equal weight? You can have a friend cross the line by dating your ex, or someone decapitating Nancy Pelosi, and thus crossing the line. Should the Nancy aggressor really be punished as harshly as your friend? Sorry, couldn't resist that one! :D

If someone is angry or upset about something, are they allowed to assault you? What happens if you pull out of a side road in your car and slow someone down, who then gets pissed at you. Do you think it is ok for them to smack you in the face for your error of judgement? How about if you forgot your partners birthday and they got upset about it? Should they be allowed to smack you in the face?

If you are a Democrat and Trump went up at an event and smacked Biden around the face, would you think differently? Or vice-versa, if a Republican. Separate the people from the deeds if you want to be more objective about this.

Will Smith was asked to leave by the president of the Academy and refused. I will say it again: he is arrogant, a bully, and a thug, and thinks he is above the law and rules other people have to abide by. Worth $300M, physically a much bigger guy than Chris, and adored in Hollywood, he has much power, and he has abused it. As they say, power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Edit: One last thought. When a woman dresses provocatively and then gets sexually assaulted, was she asking for it? When Chris tells a provocative joke and then gets assaulted, was he asking for it?

Last edited:

AngelSpeaks

Local time
SER=159813]@AngelSpeaks[/USER] read my post above #91, then read the link @Steve R. posted.
Then tell me why would she be upset?
You'd have to ask her. I've heard there's a history between her and Chris Rock.

I have a daughter with severe autism. Hubby and I take her everywhere even though sometimes her behavior may receive attention. We do what we can to minimize it. We love and accept her for what she is. If someone (and they have) makes a comment about her, we are not quiet about it. No, we've never slapped anyone but we did have a neighbor,(with a long history with our police department) arrested. And we have verbally given a person a thrashing if they didn't respond to a polite response. Hubby does a lot of defending special needs individuals who are working and get bullied by a customer. He gets a standing ovation from other customers and employees when he does.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom