The Oscars (2 Viewers)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:24
One of my favorite authors from my younger days, Isaac Asimov, once or twice used a relevant phrase in one of his most famous works, the Foundation trilogy: "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." The whole epic story was about how logic and statesmanship would be used to shape a new empire of peace during a time of the decay of the prior empire. (That is a REALLY condensed summary of an incredible bit of work, so apologies to the late Mr. Asimov.)

Now, with children having access to guns, we see glimpses of the truth of that phrase. Children are incompetent in life, having not yet learned "the rules" - so when they act out, normally we don't punish them too hard. But we see that, because they are incompetent negotiators, they often resort to violence.

At the Academy Awards ceremony, we saw the incompetence of two people come into play - Chris Rock, for making a really bad joke at someone's expense, and Will Smith, for not being able to take the joke and deflect it with wit or grace. Jada's shocked and incensed reaction may well have contributed, though she didn't resort to violence.

As a side note, Russia's actions at hearing the HINT of a threat for the Ukraine to join NATO showed his own level of incompetence. Putin got his arse kicked in Afghanistan by a citizenry who didn't want outside help in managing their affairs. So of course he stepped right into the same situation, getting a lot of shame and frustration in the Ukraine. Putin is now stepping up the violence because he cannot sit at the table and tell the Ukraine that this NATO comment was unacceptable - and why. Total incompetence.

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Yes I agree. My point is that Will did not plan, or consider his actions, if he had he wouldn't have done it. He fell foul of his male protective instinct.

An interesting observation. How do women feel about a man stepping in like a knight in shining armour to protect them, something which goes against the modern independence of women?
I like it!

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Out of curiosity, if Jada was the one who slapped Rock's face, would our opinions be different. Smith did slap and not punch.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:24
I thought of a very similar analogy, coincidentally. Will Smith is Putin, who bloodies the nose of Chris Rock, Ukraine. It is a macro example of the Oscars affair. Putin didn't like what Zelenskyy said about joining NATO, and so resorted to war.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Out of curiosity, if Jada was the one who slapped Rock's face, would our opinions be different. Smith did slap and not punch.
Many opinions would be different, but not mine. I don't think you should let people conduct criminal acts because of their gender.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:24
In the 'heat of the moment' a great number of us would probably do things that we normally would count to 10 and deal with it appropriately. Apparently this is not the first time that Chris Rock has used Will Smith's wife as a target of his joke. At least Will Smith used an open hand instead of a fist (he was the person who portrayed Muhammad Ali). I do not condone his actions, but I understand how in the moment he used bad judgement.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Apparently this is not the first time that Chris Rock has used Will Smith's wife as a target of his joke.
I guess this is targeting Jada, or it's a comedian's commentary on current events.

"Back in 2016, Jada Pinkett Smith had boycotted the Oscars along with a couple of others due to the lack of diversity of the nominees".

Joke by Chris Rock:
"Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties. I wasn’t invited!”

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Is it ok to open hand slap your wife around the face? Can that be excused as bad judgement? Or, should such things be rightly classed as domestic violence and unacceptable in civilised society?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Women want equality, (they certainly bang on about it enough) but, they still expect doors to be opened for them and the 'ladies first' rule to apply. They also expect men to protect them or stick up for them when needed. It's a question of equality for women except when it's not equal.
Col

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
I have never liked people gathering together to listen to a comedian mocking others while they laughed, while am not in support of what Will did, walking out with Jada would have been a better option than getting physical.

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I agree Colin. I mentioned in another post about the men not being allowed to leave Ukraine, only women or children. I'm waiting for the feminists to object to this blatant unequal treatment. So far, silence. Not worth mentioning the men are being sent to their deaths. Blame the patriarchy!

The reality is we have evolved with behavioural traits that have been shoehorned into a brand new societal straightjacket which fits just a little too tightly. That is why Uncle wants to take out the milkman who gave a sideways glance to his missus.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I have never liked people gathering together to listen to a comedian mocking others while they laughed, while am not in support of what Will did, walking out with Jada would have been a better option than getting physical.
He also had the option of just shouting, expressing his disapproval. Instead, violence was his first option. Unacceptable.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
I mentioned in another post about the men not being allowed to leave Ukraine, only women or children. I'm waiting for the feminists to object to this blatant unequal treatment. So far, silence. Not worth mentioning the men are being sent to their deaths.
The war in Ukraine is one of the few exceptions, in most wars, women, and children suffer the most, yes the men have to fight, but women and children are helpless, I think the decision to allow them leave is a good one that will reduce the casaulties.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Out of curiosity, if Jada was the one who slapped Rock's face, would our opinions be different. Smith did slap and not punch
My opinion might be different, but it still won't be the right decison for her.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Is it ok to open hand slap your wife around the face? Can that be excused as bad judgement? Or, should such things be rightly classed as domestic violence and unacceptable in civilised society?
Domestic violence it is.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
I guess this is targeting Jada, or it's a comedian's commentary on current events.

"Back in 2016, Jada Pinkett Smith had boycotted the Oscars along with a couple of others due to the lack of diversity of the nominees".

Joke by Chris Rock:
"Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties. I wasn’t invited!”
This is what I don't understand about Chris, why he made jest of her again, but I think by not reacting Chris showed maturity.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Apparently, most violent assaults by women are crimes of passion
It is easy for women to hide under passion as a reason for committing a crime because they are more wired to be emotional than men.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Yes I agree. My point is that Will did not plan, or consider his actions, if he had he wouldn't have done it. He fell foul of his male protective instinct.

An interesting observation. How do women feel about a man stepping in like a knight in shining armour to protect them, something which goes against the modern independence of women?
Am waiting to see if any action will be taking against Will for his actions.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
This is what I don't understand about Chris, why he made jest of her again,
Why not? She is a public figure just like Trump or Biden.

This is not some random guy at a filling station insulting your wife. These are public figures. It may not be in good taste but it comes with all the other accolades of wealth and privilege.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom