The Religion of Atheism (1 Viewer)

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:56
Only as defined in the book of fairy tales

It has nothing to do with whether the Bible is true.

If I say God is all powerful or God is not true I am referring to the Abrahamic god.

The Doc Man appears to be a soft atheist. His lack of belief is restricted to God.

He is also confused that belief in something associated with "want". On that basis The Doc Man wants to go to the gas chamber or electric chair or receive a lethal injection.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:56
If I say God is all powerful or God is not true I am referring to the Abrahamic god.

You can't have it both ways, which one are you claiming to be the almighty now?

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike375

You can't have it both ways, which one are you claiming to be the almighty now?

You refer to the tooth fairy. Does that mean you believe there is a tooth fairy.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
OK, that might have been Rabbie.

You refer to god in your postings?

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Which means you are referring to god.

You have a lack of belief in god....correct?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:56
He is also confused that belief in something associated with "want".

No, Mike, I am stuck in the same way that everyone is stuck regarding definitions of a very deep abstracted concept. But to a certain degree, there are variants of belief that can use the word "want" - as in theists deeply WANT God to exist.

I try to avoid circular definitions of words because that leads nowhere new. So any definition of belief that uses the word belief or believe or faith (which is a specific subset of belief) will be a problem. This sometimes leads to confusion of what I want. As to the "wanting the electric chair, etc." - what I really want is to be shot by a jealous husband when I have reached the age of 105. Hey, it's a goal. Not very realistic, but we all have to have SOMETHING to look forward to, don't we?

From my Merriam-Webster: Belief: n - 1. The act of assenting intellectually to something proposed as true, or the state of mind of one who so assents.

Faith is a form a belief that specifically lacks proof. I am not confused at all about belief, Mike. It is just that it is a difficult word to define in a way that everyone accepts. Earlier in one of the two forum threads on this subject, I used a variant definition that was based on the "state of mind" portion of the definition. It wasn't about what I want or don't want, so I expressly reject your "confused with 'want'" comment as you having incorrectly understood my words.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
I understand the distinction between believing in a God but not in a formal religion. But NOW my question is, why bother if you don't also believe in a Heaven? What possible value is God in that case? Not even a decent explanation of reality.

It wasn't about what I want or don't want, so I expressly reject your "confused with 'want'" comment as you having incorrectly understood my words.

Seems clear enough.

Adam Caramon

Local time
Yesterday, 19:56
Believe it or not, I read this entire thread in the last two hours. So, a few things:

Why many atheists do not think of atheism as a religion is because they associate the word religion with many negative aspects or actions. In the same way that Christians would not like to be labled 'Extremists', because (here in USA anyhow), 'Extremists' evokes many negative thoughts and images.

2nd, I dont consider myself atheist or agnostic or anything, because labels only serve to divide us and set up us versus them mentalities. However, I can say that I do not believe in the Christian god, nor any all-knowing being that created the universe, etc.

I think that other people who want to believe in that should have every right to do so, as long as they are not trying to push that belief on others. Personally I think religion has held the world back for years, has caused more deaths and evils in this world than any other single entity.

As far as the 'thinking inside a box' line of thought, that it was modern education is all about. We start with what we know, and then we study, research, and test our ideas to prove them. If we start off with no box (i.e. anything is possible) then there really is no point in trying to prove anything, or truly learning at all.

As an ending, if atheists or non-religious persons seem to be bitter, or sometimes laugh at you like they think you are crazy, or patronize you for your religious beliefs, just remember that while that behavior really is rude, we have to constantly put up with that same behavior day in and day out. We are constantly bombarded with religious messages that irk our senses.

I think we should all be able to accept one another's view points, religious or not. I think once we cross over from friendly discussion to implementing religious rules into law is when we need to take a step back and do a reality check. Religion (or lack thereof) really should be something that is kept at home or used as a personal compass, not something that we build organizations around or governments around.

Peace to you all.

Adam

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:56
Adam, I have no problem with live and let live. But that philosophy takes two parties to implement it. The ones I let live with their beliefs have to let me live with mine. But they don't because THEIR God has told them to go out and vigorously, near violently recruit. And therein lies much of the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom