The robot apocalypse is coming... (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:53
With the rise of AI, our own finite processing power will be no challenge for the mighty silicon beasts. With the convergence of quantum computing and its massive parallel processing ability, neural nets, improved AI algorithms and faster hardware, an exponential combination will lead to an explosion in artificial intelligence. Then, as these Gods of the future get smarter, they iteratively reprogram themselves to ever increasing abilities in what some call a "hard takeoff", or a virtuous circle to others.

What chance do we have as mere mortals when these infinite-lifetime captors out-think us all?

And the scary thing is, it is just around the corner...

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I wrote this blog:-

in 2013.

I couldn't understand why Google were spending so much time building a self-driving car, but then I realised they weren't! They were building an autonomous device that could navigate by itself. They were building a robot!

I wasn't aware of Tesla at the time, but I now think that Elon Musk is heading that way also, he's got a better chance at it I reckon because he's developing a visual system instead of a laser system. Although I think his visual system will be more prone to mistakes early on, as the computers become more powerful and more knowledgeable then the visual system, exactly the same as the human visual system will be supreme...

Dreamweaver

Local time
I love reading/Listening to Scifi one thing that I have noticed of some of the later books is AI helpers on a chip in our heads,The way things are going it might only take another century or so?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
They are all at it. Everybody wants the self-driving car. Even Nvidia, the graphics card manufacturer is big in the game. Their experience in massive parallel processing has led them to developing a self-driving car chip that will be used by many manufacturers.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I love reading/Listening to Scifi one thing that I have noticed of some of the later books is AI helpers on a chip in our heads,The way things are going it might only take another century or so?
It's happening much sooner than you think. Elon Musk has launched a company called Neuralink that aims to release a prototype brain-chip interface as early as next year.

Dreamweaver

Local time
I Thought we would have Holographics for things like our phones and PC's first

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Nvidia - developing a self-driving car chip that will be used by many manufacturers.

I understand Elon Musk as his own chip which is far better than anything anyone else has got.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I wonder if that is more salesmanship. He was an early starter, but huge amounts of money is going into it. And those behemoths in China have huge advancements in AI. Do they have the lead?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:53
We were suppose to have flying cars by now i.e. "The Jetsons". I guess will have to settle for Boston Dynamics for now.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:53
I do feel like AI has to have a military application or it will not get funded. YouTube is loaded with robots that have military applications, but hardly any new Roombas.
roomba.png

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:53
What chance do we have as mere mortals when these infinite-lifetime captors out-think us all?

Never forget that a computer's attention span is no longer than its electrical cord.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:53
Never forget that a computer's attention span is no longer than its electrical cord.
You don't think they will develop an alternative way to power themselves? Maybe even incorporate some biology so they can metabolise organic materials to produce electricity?

Then they just need to decide that the billions of humans would be a ready supply of organic material and eating us would simultaneously solve a lot of other problems. :unsure:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Then they just need to decide that the billions of humans would be a ready supply of organic material and eating us would simultaneously solve a lot of other problems.

The Matrix, revisited.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Anyone read Peter Hamilton? He has an interesting view of the future - main development is someone develops teleportation. But also includes mental and physical enhancements.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
I've always said when asked about this question, that there will be a revolution the scale of which the planet has never seen before.

As more and more automation is brought into the workplace, with more and more Job Displacement, and Unemployment as a result, with the masses, now hungry and poor seeing the Rich get even richer through their automation there will be a sudden power shift as the masses wake up and take back control...

I think it will be bloody beyond compare but will lead onto a Utopian society where automation is to the betterment of all mankind not just the chosen few...

But it won't be in my lifetime, and nor in my childrens lifetime, but maybe in their childrens... who knows...

Reactions: Jon

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
but will lead onto a Utopian society

Just remember that the word Utopia as originally used, means "a place that does not exist." If humans make it, it will be imperfect. All we can do is strive to improve as we go and hope we make it better rather than worse for each incremental change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom