The Trial of Kim Potter, an Almost Forgotten Story (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 01:37
There has been a flurry of trials, where the "left" (either wrongly or correctly) has compelled prosecution usually by racializing the incident. That appears to be the case with Kim Potter who has charged with first and second-degree manslaughter for fatally shooting Daunte Wright on April 11, 2021. Of course, any incident were a police officer kills a person needs to be investigated. However, one needs to ask the question of whether the facts concerning the death of Daunte Wright justify a criminal prosecution? Obviously we are beyond that point today, which then leads to the follow-up concern that this "trial" may actually be a form of political persecution rather than a justified trial.

Consider that Lt. Michael Byrd, who shot Ashli Babbit and killed her was not charged with murder and will not be facing any prosecution. From the conspiracy angle potential charges against Byrd where probably dismissed for political reasons based on Biden's background "war" against phantom White supremacy. Then there is the case Kyle Rittenhouse who killed three people in self-defense. The prosecution, in the Rittenhouse case apparently went for a murder conviction in an effort to satiate "left" wing demands for "blood".

An earlier thread concerning this topic: Riots in Minneapolis. In that thread, I noted: "Embedded in the article above is this quote: "On Monday, Rep. Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich., said Wright's death "wasn't an accident" because policing in the U.S. "is inherently & intentionally racist." Tlaib appeared to then call for an end to law enforcement entirely." Again, the political leadership of the US ignores the criminal behavior of those rioting and looting while continuing to falsely project the narrative that the police are the ones who oppressing Black people.".

A couple of side points. Being a police officer is dangerous work. Cops shot, killed in line of duty hits record high in 2021. We also need to consider that Daunte Wright had a criminal record, which tends to make police officers nervous when they pull-over such a person. Daunte Wright, also apparently escalated the situation by resisting arrest. His actions only complicated the situation. One can surmise that Daunte Wright would not have died otherwise. The actions of the person being potentially arrested are just as significant as the actions of the police officer.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 22:37
I'll be curious to see if a jury will convict Kim of first degree manslaughter.
I was just reading over the elements of the MN statute on this.

I mean ... yes, she "meant" to cause some harm (possibly), by "meaning" to draw her Taser.

But if it's true that it was a real mistake, as the situation does look that way to reasonable observer of all this, then IS she really guilty of that?

I haven't had time to read the 2nd degree elements yet, maybe tonight, but not sure the 1st degree charge is appropriate.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Virtually every trial involving the death and/or injury of a Black person apparently starting with the death of Michael Brown Jr. in 2014 has been turned into a racial incident by the radical left. This despite the absence of any information that the police officer acted with racial animus. Additionally, the fact that the Black person killed had a criminal history and was resisting arrest is blatantly ignored by much of the media in their reporting.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
She should get something but maybe not manslaughter 1. I'm still doing a lot of thinking about this case. There's a few things I know, like it has no racial animus and the deceased individual is obviously not anywhere near innocent. But I have a lot of unresolved questions in my mind as well about what should be done.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
the police officer acted with racial animus
This will be difficult to prove, racial motives are difficult to prove except where information like chats or previous behaviour of the officers suggest that.

All injuries or death of any one irrespective of race or colour in the hands of the police should be investigated and reports of the findings should be made public.

Once a society loses trust and hope in the police force, anarchy will eventually set in.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
This will be difficult to prove, racial motives are difficult to prove except where information like chats or previous behaviour of the officers suggest that.
Sorry, but you misquoted me. Read the whole sentence: "This despite the absence of any information that the police officer acted with racial animus." There was no evidence of racial animus by Potter.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Disappointing. The jury found her guilty of manslaughter for accidentally killing Daunte Wright, but then consider Lt. Michael Byrd, who killed Ashli Babbit who has not been charged for his "accidental" killing. From the conspiracy angle, Duante Wright was in the "protected" class whereas Ashli Babbit was the "deplorable" class.

Since posting, I ran across (on Breitbart) an thoughtful comment by a reader (SuperFido) concerning Alec Baldwin accidental killing.
Alec Baldwin negligently murders a rising star and walks with the media fawning for an interview but the former cop is crucified for mistakingly killing a repeat offending criminal. Welcome to your worst nightmare in the Twilite Zone.

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Glad the judge gave her a light sentence.
Seems appropriate, she made a mistake but i dont buy that she didn't have the full right to use her gun in the first place.

Judge did what was right in spite of the mob.

Wanted criminal, almost dragged her partner to death, disobeying orders of officers he knew were armed... have we lost all common sense?
Why do we coddle these people?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
An item of good news. But just a reminder concerning other accidental killings:
  • Baldwin has had his felony gun charges dropped for the accidental killing of Halyna Hutchins.
  • Capital Police Officer (Lt. Michael Byrd) who was never charged with the murder of Ashli Babbitt.
Mistakes happen that result in death and there should be consequences. But in this case (when compared to the two above) Potter was the recipient of excessive "justice" that may have been an indirect consequence of the left's virulent attack on the police.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:37
@Steve R. - regarding accidental killings, I agree that when there is a death, it cannot be ignored. We have to be careful, though, to not use one case's result as precedent in another case if the circumstances differ. Blanket rulings fall into the "one size fits all" category, which is known to not be correct.

Baldwin's charges were dropped "without prejudice" - but that term includes the specific legal implication that he can be charged again. As I understand it, the charges were dropped due to inadequate police or prosecutorial investigation that would have severely weakened the case, thus having a good chance of letting him off WITH prejudice, thus shielding him from future similar charges due to double jeopardy. There is currently some talk about the gun he used having been modified so that it actually COULD have gone off without him touching the trigger, though it would have had to have been cocked beforehand. Which would go back to the armorer.

I cannot tell enough from reading about the Babbitt case to decide whether murder or manslaughter is correct. Since NEITHER set of charges were filed, it is immaterial.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
With the Babbitt case, we have actual video. At point blank range, without warning, the officer shot an obviously unarmed woman as she was attempting to climb through a window. He also violated one of the cardinal rules of weapons - don't shoot into a crowd. He's lucky he didn't also kill the two men behind her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom