Time for a new Political Debate (1 Viewer)

R

Rich

Brianwarnock said:
, but the USA thought it should be replaced by one called Uncle Sam, the trouble is he cuts and runs when the going gets tough.

Brian
and totally ignores international law, locking up prisoners without trial, kidnapping suspects, murdering suspects, remind me again why Saddam had to be removed:rolleyes:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 19:45
Rich said:
and totally ignores international law, locking up prisoners without trial, kidnapping suspects, murdering suspects, remind me again why Saddam had to be removed:rolleyes:
don't forget the suspicious "ghost" flights into European countries by the US shipping prisoners to secret bases to be tortured by the CIA. Why was Saddam deposed now?

Condo - whats-her-name said it doesn't happen, odd that pictures appeared in the UK press showing such planes and flights.

Col

R

Rich

and they wanted to bomb a newspaper that didn't tow the Bush line, unlike CNN, NBC etc:rolleyes:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 14:45
Brianwarnock said:
I can't believe somebody,anybody, would write that.

Brian

Well Brian,
Explain why over half of the inventions on the entire planet were by Americans over the last 150 years.

Don’t let jealousy cloud your vision.

What we are taught, Rich, makes us that way, so teaching us that we are the most innovative society it is Manifest Destiny.

Bat17

Registered User.
Local time
Explain why over half of the inventions on the entire planet were by Americans over the last 150 years
Because America had the money to buy in the European scientists?

Peter

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Bat17 said:
Because America had the money to buy in the European scientists?

Peter

Oh contraire Peter,
This inventive culture started before we were rich.

Going all the way back to early America where after only a few decades of ship building we had the finest ships in the world.

And the reason was not money. It was brain drain. All the best European minds flocked to America to participate in the American dream. Just like now when the brightest Indians, Chinese, Arab, and others come here to be educated.

The melting pot is the reason for American inventiveness not money, it’s cultural.

And a belief that we are the brightest in the world.

Which of course is the truth.

R

Rich

jsanders said:
Going all the way back to early America where after only a few decades of ship building we had the finest ships in the world.
ha ha ha, which patriotic manual does that come out of?:rolleyes:

And a belief that we are the brightest in the world.

misplaced to say the least

Which of course is the truth.

actually it's a terminological inexactitude

R

Rich

jsanders said:
Well Brian,
Explain why over half of the inventions on the entire planet were by Americans over the last 150 years.
yeah but most of 'em were useless:p

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Brianwarnock said:
I can't believe somebody,anybody, would write that.

Brian
Once again, while I don't completely agree with jsanders' sentiment, he has a point. As far as a culture of hard work goes, the USA ranks seventh out of the 24 countries listed by the OECD for average hours worked each week per person (34.2). That's significantly higher than the UK (31.8), Germany (26.2) and France (25.9).

The United States has won 154 Nobel Prizes, only two less than the UK (66), Germany (52) and France (38) combined. Only a handful of people outside the USA have won the Nobel Prize for Economics in the past 25 years. The USA has also won 12 Fields Medals as opposed to France's and UK's seven apiece and Russia/USSR's six.

If you want to accuse jsanders of hyperbole or even ostentation then fine, but you cannot deny that the United States has been the single greatest contributing nation to the intellectual pursuits for the past century.

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Rich said:
ha ha ha, which patriotic manual does that come out of?:rolleyes:

Actually British in Origin

Yeah, OK why do they call it the Americas Cup? Because of our ship building and by way of technology transfer, our yacht building.

I guess the history books made that up as well.

If you’re going to ridicule my post at the very least you should have a clue about the facts.

Maybe this fact was left out of your upper class British education ( It wouldn’t do to have a bunch of upstarts out performing you on the Seas and upsetting British sensibilities), the American Clipper Ships set the standard for ships made in that time period. They were faster, sleeker, and they would point better than anything the British, Dutch, Spanish, or French had.

So look it up, and be proven wrong once again.

Bat17

Registered User.
Local time
The United States has won 154 Nobel Prizes, only two less than the UK (66), Germany (52) and France (38) combined.
With 50% more population than UK,Germany and France combined you would have thought they should have got more?

The USA has also won 12 Fields Medals as opposed to France's and UK's seven apiece

Not sure what a Field Medal is but again with nearly 5 times the population of the UK they should have been able to at least double our score?

Peter

R

Rich

jsanders said:
Actually British in Origin

Yeah, OK why do they call it the Americas Cup? Because of our ship building and by way of technology transfer, our yacht building.

I guess the history books made that up as well.

Oh you're talking about toy boats, now let me see, which country took most medals on the water in the last couple of olympics?
Which country was the first to sail single handed around the globe, which country holds the record for sailing single handed around the globe?
Which country held the Blue Ribband the most times?

Maybe this fact was left out of your upper class British education

It's obvious that it was upper class in terms of content, you guys spend too much time swearing at the flag, perhaps if you'd spent some time getting an education:rolleyes:

So look it up, and be proven wrong once again

I do so hate putting poo in your custard, even with all your money you can't beat ingenuity, skill and sheer determination:cool:

Which forward and free thinking country is leading the world on stem cell research?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
It was brain drain. All the best European minds flocked to America to participate in the American dream.

They went for the money and if they born and bred elsewhere does that make it an American success, oh! of course it does, like Navratilova and Lendl those great american tennis players.

You accuse Rich of no facts so lets have them

Invention, inventor, place of birth and education. at least us ignorant foriegners can then gaze in awe at your achievements, like inventing computers the jet engine penicillin etc etc

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
jsanders said:
Joey babe - remind us again how many different countries participate in the "World Series":rolleyes:
and also remind us how many of those countries (other than the USA) have won it

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Bat17 said:
With 50% more population than UK,Germany and France combined you would have thought they should have got more?

Not sure what a Field Medal is but again with nearly 5 times the population of the UK they should have been able to at least double our score?

Peter
Perhaps Jo can work out the awards on a pro-rata basis based on population, that would give a better picture.

Col

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Ya'll missed out.
It's called Americas Cup after the first yacht that won it. :D
You shouldv'e looked it up.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
jsanders said:
Ya'll missed out.
It's called Americas Cup after the first yacht that won it. :D
You shouldv'e looked it up.
we knew you'd take delight in telling us anyway;) BTW, was there any other countries participating at the time? or just America

any thoughts on my earlier question?

Col

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
ColinEssex said:
we knew you'd take delight in telling us anyway;) BTW, was there any other countries participating at the time? or just America

any thoughts on my earlier question?

Col

Here's the start.

The concept of the America's Cup developed from Lord Wilton inviting America to send a yacht across the Atlantic to race as part of an Industrial World Fair - otherwise known as Prince Albert's Great Exhibition.

The New York Yacht Club, in its formative years itself, sent over a challenger and duly won the event.

Britain's desire to win back the trophy saw the development of the America's Cup and ensured that the 1851 race was not a one off.

Who else would you have expected?

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Looks like we're keeping up a fine Tradition here.

1851 - Squadron fleet 0-1 America

John Cox Stevens, first Commodore and founder of the NYYC, travelled across the Atlantic with the express intention of denting British seafaring pride.

The Stoat

The Grim Squeaker
Local time
J you crack me up.

Noble prizes to population ratio

US population 295,734,134 according to:

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/rankorder/2119rank.html

1 Noble prize per 1920351 head of population

UK population 60,441,457 same source

1 Noble prize per 915779 head of population

That's twice the number of Noble prizes per head for the UK :p

Graduation statistcs source: IES/OECD Education at a Glance 2002

Graduation rates in OECD countries (per cent)

Sorry matey but you just don't cut the mustard;) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom