Transform csv file to match access table for import (1 Viewer)

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:59
There is example code in a response I made in this thread

Situation is not quite the same as yours but the solution should work for you providing the number of columns remain below 255.

you just need to know (for example) that F1 maps to one field, you are ignoring F2-F11, F12,maps to another field, etc

edit: all fields come through as text so you may need to use some of the ‘c’ functions to convert to integer,date, etc see cint, cdate, etc

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:59
If the number of columns is more than 255, you will need to process as a flat file and parse the record with VBA.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Example OP provided has 236

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I didn't count them. Maybe someone would be interested in the solution for more than 255.

standenman

Local time
Today, 05:59
CJ I have worked a bit with your code for doing a table append. Thank you very much.

So I "trim" up the csv I get from the form (basically elevate row 2 to be column names) then from MS Access do DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet to create a table in Access from the csv. Then I can take that table and do an INSERT query like you suggested BUT...

I still am being hoisted on the petard of my relational data. That is, I can append fine if dealing with just a single table, but I my data spans several tables and relationships. Here is a copy of the relationship layout. So I have tblContacts that includes clients as well as doctor, additional table for clients because I need lots more information about them. Each client could have 1 or 20 medical conditions. There could be a variety of treatments for a given malady. I have a supplemental table for meds because the information I need on that is different than that of surgeries or physical therapy. I welcome candor if I have made it too complex. But again the problem is that when I have the csv with "insulin" for "diabetes" I am creating a record in tblClientImpairment, tlbMedicalTreatmentEvent and tblMeds. I can't seem to get my arms around how I would do that.

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    136.8 KB · Views: 80

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
So I "trim" up the csv I get from the form (basically elevate row 2 to be column names) then from MS Access do DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet to create a table in Access from the csv. Then I can take that table and do an INSERT query like you suggested BUT...
No need for transferspreadsheet, and for multiple tables stop once the second step is completed and save the query, then create new append queries for each table as required appending data from the saved query to the table.

in the case of your 1-20 maladies you are going to need multiple append queries or use a union query

I'm assuming this is just to populate your tables once. If it is ongoing then you need a means of identifying a PK in your .csv so you can left join your query to the table to identify existing records and new records and either append, ignore or update as required. I don't see one and fields that might work don't contain any relevant information (SSN, email, phone). Names alone may be OK but risky.

Sometimes you will need more than just the destination table to be able to pick up the appropriate PK/FK to populate the secondary tables.

The order you run these queries is important - you need to append to the primary tables first to generate the PK. So far as I can see, not relevant to this import but as an example if the import included a 'birth state' field you would need to append to your tlpkstat table before you can append to your tblClients because you need to be able to 'lookup' the PK that goes into the birthstate field.

Once all this is done you can create some vba code to run the queries one after the other in the right order on the click of a button

standenman

Local time
OK. Thank you. I will need to study this!
No need for transferspreadsheet, and for multiple tables stop once the second step is completed and save the query, then create new append queries for each table as required appending data from the saved query to the table.

in the case of your 1-20 maladies you are going to need multiple append queries or use a union query

I'm assuming this is just to populate your tables once. If it is ongoing then you need a means of identifying a PK in your .csv so you can left join your query to the table to identify existing records and new records and either append, ignore or update as required. I don't see one and fields that might work don't contain any relevant information (SSN, email, phone). Names alone may be OK but risky.

Sometimes you will need more than just the destination table to be able to pick up the appropriate PK/FK to populate the secondary tables.

The order you run these queries is important - you need to append to the primary tables first to generate the PK. So far as I can see, not relevant to this import but as an example if the import included a 'birth state' field you would need to append to your tlpkstat table before you can append to your tblClients because you need to be able to 'lookup' the PK that goes into the birthstate field.

Once all this is done you can create some vba code to run the queries one after the other in the right order on the click of a button

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
based on the info provided, your first query would look something like this - call it qrySource

Code:
SELECT *
FROM (SELECT *
FROM  [TEXT;DATABASE=C:\path;HDR=no].WorkHistoryRedacted.csv)  AS txt
WHERE (((txt.[F2])<>'First Name'));
(change C:\path to wherever you have the file)

an append query will look something like this

Code:
INSERT INTO tblCont ( FirstName, MiddleName, LastName )
SELECT F2, F3, F4
FROM qrySource

standenman

Local time
OK. that is why you are saying no transferspreadsheet - just query the csv. Thanks. One last question? So if I am executing append queries in sequence, I will need to preserve the auto number from the prior record to use as a foreign key in the next recordset I create. Correct? How do I save the autonumber just created in an append query?

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:59
If your autonumber was created using the auto-increment (rather than the random) option, a DMax function of that field would do it. Once that record is created and saved, the autonumber IS available.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
So if I am executing append queries in sequence, I will need to preserve the auto number from the prior record to use as a foreign key in the next recordset I create. Correct? How do I save the autonumber just created in an append query?
doc's solution is fine if you are just adding one record at a time. But if adding multiple records you look it up

an example might be (made up)

you've added new state records using something like this

Code:
INSERT INTO tlkpStat ( StatName )
SELECT DISTINCT F6
FROM qrySource
(USE DISTINCT to avoid adding duplicates)

Now you want to add records to tblClients. Your query will look something like

Code:
INSERT INTO tblCont ( FirstName, BirthStat)
SELECT F2, tlkpStat.statID
FROM qrySource INNER JOIN tlkpStat ON qrySource.F6 = tlkpStat.StatName

Next you want to add client impairments

Code:
INSERT INTO tblCont ( ClientImpID, Impairment, Deadly, painful)
SELECT tblCont.ContID, F23, F25, F26
FROM qrySource INNER JOIN tblCont ON qrySource.F2 = tblCont.FirstName

Note the above is for illustration only

Also don't understand why you just don't combine tblClients and tblCont together - maintaining a 1 to 1 relationship means one if not both PK's are not autonumbers so you need some sort of calculation to maintain the relationship

standenman

Local time
doc's solution is fine if you are just adding one record at a time. But if adding multiple records you look it up

an example might be (made up)

you've added new state records using something like this

Code:
INSERT INTO tlkpStat ( StatName )
SELECT DISTINCT F6
FROM qrySource
(USE DISTINCT to avoid adding duplicates)

Now you want to add records to tblClients. Your query will look something like

Code:
INSERT INTO tblCont ( FirstName, BirthStat)
SELECT F2, tlkpStat.statID
FROM qrySource INNER JOIN tlkpStat ON qrySource.F6 = tlkpStat.StatName

Next you want to add client impairments

Code:
INSERT INTO tblCont ( ClientImpID, Impairment, Deadly, painful)
SELECT tblCont.ContID, F23, F25, F26
FROM qrySource INNER JOIN tblCont ON qrySource.F2 = tblCont.FirstName

Note the above is for illustration only

Also don't understand why you just don't combine tblClients and tblCont together - maintaining a 1 to 1 relationship means one if not both PK's are not autonumbers so you need some sort of calculation to maintain the relationship
Well the idea was that if I had just a contacts table - which includes minimal information folks and clients where I need lots of information. so for a "Doc" contact I would have lots of null fields.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I've developed a few healthcare apps over the years and the basic structure is not dissimilar

Customers - person/institution who pays - I see you have a ContTypeID so this could include Docs as well.
Clients - person receiving care

But the relationship is 1 to many, not 1-1 because, certainly in the case of institutions, one customer can have many clients. If that is not your situation then I would just combine the tables - null values take up no space so no saving there and I presume you have a lot more clients than docs - so you are making things more complicated than they need to be.

Only reason for splitting is either because there are more than 255 fields (which potentially implies a poor design anyway) or data security - confidential data that users are to be prevented from seeing is split off and usually stored in a separate BE.

I can't speak for your particular situation and appreciate you are not showing all your tables but would have thought your contact table needs to hold the phone/email info (otherwise how do you contact a 'Doc'?).

and within your clients table - wouldn't you want to keep a history of someone's marital status, previous addresses? changes in weight, living and housing environments? etc?

And can Docs have more than one speciality or belong to more than one institution?

standenman

Local time
The addresses for contacts is complicated. Many years ago I followed the example of a contacts DB in an Access book. I am not sure it was the right strategy. because it made it very complex. Basically addresses connected to contacts via a switching table. This, however, was so annoying in implementation that - with clients - I put their address in the main table. Did not solve on the other contacts side. This DB has been limping along for many years.

Does anyone think this is a good solution to the flat file problem here?

I actually thinking about the DB called decomposerdemo: https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=44CC60D7FEA42912&id=44CC60D7FEA42912!169

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A CRM system is probably not the right model to follow for your particular requirement but just guessing the actual requirement looks like you are not too far from what you need

i and many others are not prepared to follow onedrive and similar links so cannot comment on that part of your post

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I note your reference to a Ken Sheridan demo. Ken is very well respected in the Access and database communities. Whether or not that demo fits your particular need is difficult to determine. Do you have a list of requirements of what your proposed database must support? Have you created a datamodel and tested it against your requirements with some sample data?

standenman

Local time
I'm just a dumb lawyer -I don't really know what you mean about "list of requirements" but I am trying to analyze Ken's code. Series of append queries, going to see if I can figure out proper order as it would apply to my tables.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:59
"List of requirements" would be the moral legal equivalent of formally mapping out a defense or prosecution based on available resources such as physical evidence, witness testimony, and verifiable records. What do you have to work with, what steps do you need to take, what contingencies do you have to protect against, what is the end goal of the process?

With project planning, your resources are available data, a good understanding of the process you are trying to parallel, and a well-defined goal to be reached by whatever application you create. This is, of course, a high-altitude overview, but the idea is "know where you intend to go because if you don't, how will you ever know you got there?"

We often describe Access as a tool to make a model of the flow of the business in question. To do so, you need to fully understand how that business works, at least to the extent that you want to model it.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Stan,

Here are a couple of examples of the kind of requirements; level of detail needed to help put your "project" into context. (from RogersAccessLibrary) Each is followed by the link to the corresponding tutorial showing how to get from requirement to vetted database structure.

# 1
ZYX Laboratories requires an employee tracking database. They want to track information about employees, the employee's job history, and their certifications. Employee information includes first name, middle initial, last name, social security number, address, city, state, zip, home phone, cell phone, email address. Job history would include job title, job description, pay grade, pay range, salary, and date of promotion. For certifications, they want certification type and date achieved.
An employee can have multiple jobs over time, (ie, Analyst, Sr. Analyst, QA Administrator). Employees can also earn certifications necessary for their job.

Here is the tutorial link that expands this overview to a database structure.

We are Consolidated Widgets, the largest widget distributor in the Mid West. Our customers are small independent Widget Dealers who in turn sell the widgets to the consumer market. On the other end, we have our Manufacturers who make the widgets. Our function is to act as a middleman and warehouse for the independent dealers.

In an effort to make our Dealers more aware of new trends in the widget market, we are hosting a series of seminars, which allow the Manufactures to explain and extol the virtues of their products. Therefore, we need a computerized system that will help us manage the event. We have selected Microsoft Access as the rapid application tool to accomplish this.

The seminars work like this: The event takes place over a weekend, Saturday and Sunday. On each day, there will be seven seminars, four in the morning and three in the afternoon. Lunch will be provided for the attendees. Each seminar lasts 45 minutes, allowing 15 minutes time between seminars. In order to manage the seminars more effectively, we are asking each Attendee (there can be more than one Attendee from each Dealer) to sign up for the seminars they wish to attend.

The Manufactures may have one or more seminars, which may be presented by one or more of their employees. We need to be able to track that information for the web site, if the information changes, we want to be able to make it instantly available. We also need to track other information about the Seminars, like its location (room number), the starting and ending times, the seminar description, etc.

For the Dealers, we need to track the Attendees and their schedule, purchase order, sales tax rate, total cost to the Dealer, method of payment, etc.

For our own purposes, we need to track the Attendees, their schedule, our employee who entered the registration information, the cost of each seminar, method of payment, whether it is paid in full, etc.

We also want to have a simple survey where the Attendees rate each Seminar. We want to be able to give the Manufacturers feedback on how effective their seminars are. The rating will be a simple 1-5, Poor-Good style rating. The Manufactures will get a report giving them the percent for each level and the mean for the seminar. This will be on a seminar/hour basis, so that they can judge which of their people are the most effective presenters.

Here is
the link to the tutorial that uses this requirement statement to build and test the associated data model

NOTE:
You may have to copy the link, then use Paste and GO to get a successful download!!
For some reasons the links are presenting issues

standenman

Local time
OK so the slow slog begins. I am seeking to enter a group of client medications. Here is the table organization:
Screenshot (16).png

In creating a sequence of append queries I am starting with creating a record in tblClient with name and SSN. i have created a "mastertable" via code in this form:

Private Sub Command0_Click()
Dim strPath As String

strPath = "C:\Users\StanleyDenman\Downloads\ClientMedicationsStanleyDenman.xlsx"
DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet _
TransferType:=acImport, _
TableName:="tblMaster", _
FileName:=strPath, _
HasFieldNames:=True

End Sub

Now my goal is to use the mastertable for the append queries. Here is the mastertable ith dummy data:
MasterTableDummyData.jpg

Here is my first append query:

INSERT INTO tblClient ( Name, SSN )
SELECT DISTINCT Name, [Social Security Number]
FROM tblMaster;

When I run it the append query puts 2 records in tblClient, ond of which is blank - not what I expected. I expected just one. The append query seems to think we need a blank record - I don't see where that is coming from.

Attachments

• ClientTableDummyData.jpg
    ClientTableDummyData.jpg
    562.5 KB · Views: 75

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom