trolls and spammers using "whois" database (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 06:57
If you guys didn't know, I wanted to let you know what I found out yesterday from my hosting company "HostGator". I purchased a 2nd domain, which is going to be part of my own business, and because that domain was purchased at HostGator, and thus is registered with HostGator, as soon I registered the domain and that domain and all of my identifying information was inserted into the public database called "whois", I have been getting automated email messages from people all across the country (and in other countries) advertising their web development services.

Because this database is available to the general public across the entire world, I would assume that the people sending these message are people who use advanced software to query the DB and get the most recent record additions. This has happened in my case because when you purchase a domain with HostGator, they do not include in the purchase price what is called "privacy protection". You can purchase it for an annual price of $14.99, and if you do, HostGator claims that any correspondence coming from people who capture your information from the whois database, will automatically be re-routed to their servers instead of coming to you.

This claim by HG's agents is probably true, considering the fact that I registered my 1st domain with GoDaddy when I was a customer of theirs. From the time I purchased that 1st domain and for the subsequent 3 months until I left GoDaddy for good, I never got 1 email from a troll or spammer offering me web development services. And the reason for that is simply because GoDaddy includes the so called "privacy protection" in the domain package when you purchase a domain, regardless if it is a primary one or an add-on.

Another thing I wanted to share is an instance of someone sending me an automated message and wording it in such a way (and manipulating the subject line) that was in a attempt to fool me into thinking that it was actually written by hand. This came from a guy that claimed to be a "local businessman", but yet the message indicates clearly that he's not interested in establishing long lasting relationships and building trust that results in long-running customer loyalty. So his attempt is exactly what large corporations are now trying to do - claiming that they care about every single customer even though they're a world-wide firm. It's inevitable....if you're big, you're not small. So what that said, here is a link to my posting on LinkedIn where I made other professionals aware of this gentleman's attempt to "get rich quick" and establish "many customers quickly": Local businessman's clever attempt to seem human.

I just wanted to share this little bit of knowledge with the rest of you guys. Perhaps you already knew about this whole process of being involved with the "whois" database. Perhaps you didn't. If you didn't, I hope this thread adds to your future knowledgebase.

And Colin, this is for you.....stand by for another thread that will be started by me that will give you a little bit of enlightenment and instill in you a little curiosity (it won't be posted for another day or 2). ;)

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:57
I don't know if GoDaddy includes the protection with a new domain purchase, but they certainly charge extra for it on renewals. I haven't bothered with it but I have a good spam appliance and I never answer the phone number listed. :D

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
that's a good technique, Paul. you won't believe this either.....but I'm posting this from inside a catholic monastery! Can you believe that? The monks that I'm staying with are the most intelligent people I've encountered. I've never talked to any wiser men in my life. Not even Richard. I'll be able to read some of the newer threads here now, since I generally have little need for sleep.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:57
Hmm, wait till you get the ones from China telling you someone is trying to use your domain and for a nominal fee (in the hundreds or thousands depending on much money THEY need) they will prevent them from doing so. Those eMails mostly end up in my trash but every once in a while one finds its way to my inbox.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
you know Gina,

there are also other people out there that think they can try and be very clever. check out the attached image. This gentleman thought he could sell me by making me believe I actually sent him an email with the subject line "introduction". So he sends an automated email, does his best (which is still very poor) to make it sound like it was written by a human being, presumably him, and tells me he's a *local* businessman. But yet he's trying to gain customers quickly by doing what the Indians and Chinese are doing. For my view on what this guy attempted, see here: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/adam...e-out-there-activity-6621454057376661504-_g3u

Attachments

• local_businessman_doing_the_wrong_thing.jpg
    local_businessman_doing_the_wrong_thing.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 676

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Adam,

Old trick, I get those all the time along with let me redesign your website. Still amazes me how many people fall for it.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I'm sure data mining may occur on whois but I suspected that you host probably sells this information.

Looking at their website it is tucked away in an obscure place that they do in fact sell your info. It's probably just that your state laws dont protect you from this and you didn't pay them the ransom to keep your info private.

see this link:

https://endurance.clarip.com/dsr/create?brand=hostgator&type=3&_ga=2.247009287.2093548784.1578807884-450266812.1578807884&_gac=1.258301176.1578807884.Cj0KCQiAgebwBRDnARIsAE3eZjQnL2PS0U3UMLH1Wh0OySy3U4SKA5wBsamvVT2j5oTnF4lorasqtTMaAi7-EALw_wcB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom