Trouble in adding Trusted location (1 Viewer)

KitaYama

Local time
Tomorrow, 05:19
I'm trying to add a trusted location to a folder on another PC.
I've ticked Allow Trusted Locations on my network (not recommended) then browsed to the target folder. But when I click OK to accept the location, Access gives me the following message :

2022-10-11_14-55-11.png

I have read/write permission on target folder.
I have tested both UNC with machine name and IP address.
I've set the folder as a network drive.

Still I'm not able to add the location.
Does anybody know what causes this error or what else can I try?

Thanks

Edit :
I have no problem adding trusted location for local folders, but all folders on other PCs give the above warning.

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:19
have you ticked the box to allow trusted locations on the network?

image_2022-10-11_113427765.png

KitaYama

Local time
yes, it's ticked.

JMongi

Local time
Today, 16:19
You said you are browsing to another PC. Is this a server or a personal computer? Have the appropriate settings been toggled on the host computer also?
There may also be a group policy overriding your individual policy of allowing network locations.

KitaYama

Local time
Have the appropriate settings been toggled on the host computer also?
It's a Pc. What's the appropriate settings? What and where should I check?

There may also be a group policy overriding your individual policy of allowing network locations.
There's no individual policy. As I said any folder on any PC shows this error.
And since it's not an active directory, there's no group policy that can rule the whole network.

thank you.

JMongi

Local time
Today, 16:19
Hm...no active directory makes this interesting.
With no server overlord I wondered if both computers need to match settings (i.e. allow networked trusted locations).
Full disclosure that I'm just thinking out loud, not providing you definitive answers.

Is this an Access related question? I only ask because there would be no need for a networked trusted location with a typical setup of a shared backend on the network and local copies of a front end. Not trying to derail your thread. Feel free to ignore if you wish :)

KitaYama

Local time
Feel free to ignore if you wish
Any kind of advice is appreciated. Nothing would be ignored.
Yes, it's an Access related question. FE is in a local folder. BE is on a shared folder. The problem is that BE has a module with only one procedure (8 lines of code). Yes I know, BE should contains only tables. But this one has only this 8 lines. This is (as far as I know) for controlling incoming connections.

thank you

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
BE is on a shared folder. The problem is that BE has a module with only one procedure
Not sure how that relates to creating a trusted location based on other PC's. I presume the shared folder is already trusted.

No idea what the code might be, but just as a guess - if you were to add your BE to your VBA library you might not need the trusted location.

The sub/function would need to be public and in a standard module and no doubt the app would fail if you weren't connected to the BE, but there might be a way round that, depending on the code. Also if your local FE is .accde, then the BE would also need to be .accde. Not a problem if the FE is .accdb

I do this sometimes when I need to connect to another app and run a query on that app that uses a UDF

It is not a hard and fast rule the BE's should only contain tables - they would contain data macro's for example. I have occasions where I want to provide a 'view' so have queries the FE's can access rather than having the query in the FE

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Is this what you are referring to?
Nope. :)

say you have a query to linked tables to good old Northwind

Code:
SELECT Products.*, Categories.CategoryName
FROM Products INNER JOIN Categories ON Categories.CategoryID  = Products.CategoryID

But if I don't have the tables linked I can write

Code:
SELECT Products.*, Categories.CategoryName
FROM Products INNER JOIN Categories ON Categories.CategoryID  = Products.CategoryID IN '' [ms access;pwd=;Database=D:\Dev\Samples - Access\Northwind.mdb];

Or if I don't want users to have visibility of the tables, I provide (what I call) a view - I put the first query in the BE - call it vwProdCategories

and my query becomes

Code:
SELECT *
FROM vwProdCategories IN '' [ms access;pwd=;Database=D:\Dev\Samples - Access\Northwind.mdb];

You can also set the query to be a snapshot, so not updateable

Also means If I need to change it for some reason - perhaps apply some criteria or the underlying tables have changed in some way, I can do so in one place and don't have to update everyone's FE (subject to how those changes impact the FE)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom