Unable to write to Access 2003 db (1 Viewer)

pstraszynski

Paul Stras
Local time
Today, 08:30
Hi everyone,

I have an Access 2003 database that used to work just fine. Then suddenly users were telling me they could not enter data as they did before. It turns out the same was true for me - combo boxes not accepting values, date fields not accepting numbers, etc. That was last week. I came in on the weekend, and everything was back to normal - and I had done nothing! But on Monday the database was not accepting data again, and that's how it is now.

Has anyone seen this before? I've been looking at "User and Group Permissions", but that does not help. That kind of app-level security was not used before so no wonder. (Security for this app is set at the network level.)

There have been users added but the network people tell me they have all required permissions. Some of the users have been using this app for a few years so why problems now?

What do you think?
Paul

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:30
is it a front end, backend system?

pstraszynski

Paul Stras
Local time
Today, 08:30
Yes, it is front end/back end. Is there seperate security on each?

Paul

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:30
You say the application has been used for years. Perhaps the dataset (rowcount) has reached a limit of some type.
  • Do the users routinely delete rows from the tables in the database, or is it primarily a modify existing data / add new data scenario?
  • Does your End-of-Week Processing include a Compact / Repair that is not done during the week?
Since space taken by deleted records is not released until after a Compact / Repair, a size limitation combined with a Weekly Compact / Repair could cause the symptoms.

I am sure that there are many other possibilities that you can consider, but this should be an easy one to check out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom