Unexplainable Questions (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:56
I've been busy for some time and missed this thread. I'm going to toss in a few shots to hopefully contribute positively.

Earlier question about when playing something, sometimes you feel different and seem to be able to do no wrong because you are "in a zone." People talk about altered states of consciousness. Nobody knows exactly HOW this happens because we don't have a flowchart that translates neuron firing into conscious thoughts. However, it is an observed phenomenon that we can sometimes enter an altered state of consciousness in which our brains are focused on one thing to the exclusion of that little "random stream of consciousness" that we might more normally see. I.e. we are somehow shutting down our own self-imposed distractions.

As to computer games, I find that Fallout and Diablo (not to mention quite a few related games) are great distractions, but one of the best FPS games I've ever played is Morrowind (and its expansions). Not totally hack-and-slash because there are puzzles to be solved by investigation rather than beating some NPC to a pulp. I'm currently playing Civilization: Beyond Earth, which is a complex simulation.

As to the strategy of eating all your food at once vs. rationing - it would depend on what else you are doing because the body's metabolism does different things with food excess when you are and when you are not working physically. Storing up that extra food, sadly, is NOT a symmetric process in the long run unless you maintain a high level of physical activity. If you don't, the food gets stored as fat but when you are out of food, your conversion of fat to energy takes muscle tissue with it.

Libre

been around a little
Local time
Yesterday, 20:56
Why are planets and moons shaped as spheres?
If these objects were created by the Big Bang, and collisions with other heavenly bodies, wouldn't we expect them to be of random shapes - like the comets and meteors that we've observed out in space - kind of amorphous blobs? But no, at least OUR planets, and the sun for that matter, appear perfectly circular in a two dimensional perspective, and spherical in a three dimensional perspective.
WHY?

Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 04:56
Why is it necessary for American police to kill black people?

Col

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Yesterday, 23:56
If these objects were created by the Big Bang, and collisions with other heavenly bodies, wouldn't we expect them to be of random shapes - like the comets and meteors that we've observed out in space - kind of amorphous blobs? But no, at least OUR planets, and the sun for that matter, appear perfectly circular in a two dimensional perspective, and spherical in a three dimensional perspective.
WHY?

Gravity. Above a certain mass, gravity compresses matter into a spherical shape.

Also, both Earth and the sun can be described better as 'flattened' spheres - neither is perfectly spherical due to rotation and the centrifugal effect. About the only thing I can think of that would be perfectly spherical would be the event horizon of a black hole, as it's determined by mass of and distance from the singularity.

Why is it necessary for American police to kill black people?

Col

While I realize full well that this is just another case of you using your raging anti-Americanism (man, you'd fit in well in Soviet Russa) to try to troll the Americans on the board, I can honestly respond with this:

Racism and being drunk on power. Power corrupts and all that.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:56
Gravity. Above a certain mass, gravity compresses matter into a spherical shape.

Exactly. In fact the official definition of a planet includes the body to be of sufficient size such that the gravity makes it round. Pluto lost its planetary status on this count.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Exactly. In fact the official definition of a planet includes the body to be of sufficient size such that the gravity makes it round. Pluto lost its planetary status on this count.

Actually, Pluto lost its status due to the addition of 'has cleared its orbit of other objects' to the requirements for planethood. As it's technically part of the Kuiper belt, it most decidedly did not meet that criterion.

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
Today, 04:56
WHY?

http://www.livescience.com/32452-why-do-drops-of-liquid-form-spheres-in-space.html

I guess the same rules go for planets and so forth :D

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time

No, not really. Gas, plasma, and solids don't have surface tension like water does, as surface tension is a property unique to liquids.

Stars are actually a rather interesting case. They're a mix of plasma and gas, and they are caught in a balance where the inward pull of gravity due to their mass is exactly balanced out by the outward push of all that radiating energy. (That's a simplification, of course, ignoring things like convection, solar flares, and stellar wind for the sake of simplicity.) There is quite literally no 'surface' to form tension.

And solids retain their shape until acted upon because, hey, solids!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom