Unique Values to ComboBox (1 Viewer)

dazza61

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:33
Hi guys,

I've tried searching all the threads for an answer to my problem and I can't seem to find it....

Ok I know this should be simple...

I know to use Distinct and DistinctRow to only show unique records in a combobox but all I want to do is that once a selection is chosen in the combobox to add a record to a subform, it can't be selected again.

I know in some cases you do, e.g. items on an invoice sometimes need to be entered more than once, but I'm listing Skills for Employees and I only want a user to enter a Skill once per Employee (although Employees can have many Skills, I just don't want a User to accidentally put the same Skill in twice or more per Employee...)...

What's the best optimized way of achieving this?

Sorry for my newbiness.

dazza61

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:33
You could use a query as the row source for your combo box, and in the query exclude any Skills that have already been selected.

dazza61

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for the reply John... :)

I understand the using the query for the combo, it's the second bit you mentioned that I'm struggling with i.e. about the excluding records that have already been selected...if I use a <> operator in a query it excludes ALL records before they've been selected so I don't see any output. I also know that I'm gonna hafta requery the combo every time I select/enter it to reflect any changes, etc...

I really should know how to do this but I'm returning to Access after being away a while and I've got rusty so I'm sorry to sound dumb.

Any chance of an example or maybe a link that I've missed on here?

Many thanks in advance...

dazza61

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 19:33
Don't know your table structure, but one way, generally speaking:

SELECT Skills FROM SkillTable
WHERE Skills NOT IN (SELECT Skills for this employee)

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:33
Try This out, is it what you are wanting to do?

Attachments

• ComboBox.zip
    63.1 KB · Views: 217

dazza61

Registered User.
Local time
Paul's snippet I got lost with at first but then I stumbled on new things and used it for something else LOL - Nice one and thank you :)

John - Nice example and bang on! - Tweaked it to suit my needs so that it had the same effect all within the same form - Many thanks :)

dazza61

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom