URL Encoding (1 Viewer)

alexfwalker81

Local time
Today, 09:14
At the moment I have a database which churns out 4 columns of information into an Excel sheet. In this sheet, I have a formula which concatenates the information, and then uses a very useful Excel plugin called SEOTools, to create a hyperlink with all the necessary URL encoding.

Whilst this is functional, it has the disadvantage that the only computer that can generate the URLs is mine, as I am the only one with the plugin. It's also inelegant, and that bugs me more than having to encode URLs for people all the time. I'd like to cut out the middle-man and generate correctly encoded URLs straight from Access, but I don't think there's a built in function to do that, and I can't find an equivalent anywhere.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Do you really need a plug in in Excel? Doesn't it have a built-in command already? Just curious...

In Access, it shouldn't be too hard to build a function to perform the URL encoding once you have all the rules in place.

alexfwalker81

Local time
Do you really need a plug in in Excel? Doesn't it have a built-in command already? Just curious...

In Access, it shouldn't be too hard to build a function to perform the URL encoding once you have all the rules in place.

Annoyingly, no Excel doesn't! I'll have a look at w3 as I've always thought that there would be too many rules to mess about with, but now I think about it, that capitalisation thing I learned the other day might well suffice...

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Annoyingly, no Excel doesn't! I'll have a look at w3 as I've always thought that there would be too many rules to mess about with, but now I think about it, that capitalisation thing I learned the other day might well suffice...
Assuming you're using 2010?

alexfwalker81

Local time
And now I'm feeling smug... here's how it's done ;) Thanks to arnelgp for his original function which I've 'stolen with pride' and repurposed.

Attachments

• URL Encoding.zip
    28.2 KB · Views: 281

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
And now I'm feeling smug... here's how it's done ;) Thanks to arnelgp for his original function which I've 'stolen with pride' and repurposed.
Hi. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom