Using Combo box in search form (1 Viewer)

Shipper225

Windows XP Access 2007
Local time
Today, 06:05
So I've managed to use a search form that was posted on here but I am having a problem being able to search based on the displayed results of a combo box. I am trying to have a field search the second column of the combo box but I don't know the code to do so. To simplify the question here, is there a way I can use the search function that I built to find only the results based in column two (the displayed field on the search form) here is the code I am currently using:

Code:
     'Item Search.
    If Not IsNull(Me.cboItem) Then
        strWhere = strWhere & "([Transaction Item] Like ""*" & Me.cboItem & "*"") AND "
    End If

Right now all it lets me do is search but the first column the primary key Inventory.ID and not what I need Inventory.Item

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 20:05
Me.cboItem.Column(1)

The first Column is Column 0 so 1 is the second.

Shipper225

Windows XP Access 2007
Local time
Where would I add that line in my code? I tried both sections and when I compiled I got an error. I forgot to mention I am using Access 2007

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:05
Where do you think you should add that line of code Shipper? Let's see what you did.

Also, don't you have a numeric TransactionID field?

Shipper225

Windows XP Access 2007
Local time
Also, don't you have a numeric TransactionID field?

I do have a numeric TransactionID field, but since I am trying to search similar products I can't use that (also there are hundreds of products listed so very hard know what ID to look up) I tried putting the provided string as follows

Code:
Private Sub cmdFilter_Click()

Dim strWhere As String
    Dim lngLen As Long
    [COLOR=Red]Me.cboItem = Me.cboItem.Column(1)[/COLOR]
    Const conJetDate = "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy\#"

'Item Search.
    If Not IsNull(Me.cboItem[COLOR=Red].Column(1)[/COLOR]) Then
        strWhere = strWhere & "([Transaction Item] Like ""*" & Me.cboItem[COLOR=Red].Column(1)[/COLOR] & "*"") AND "
    End If

First I tried to define it in the top section, then I tried putting it in just the If statement, after that I tried putting it in the where, as a last ditch I tried a combination of all of them but can't seem to figure out where it belong. I'm still teaching myself VB so it's trial and error for me.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Get rid of this line:
Code:
    Me.cboItem = Me.cboItem.Column(1)
And change this line:
Code:
        strWhere = strWhere & "([Transaction Item] Like '*" & Me.cboItem.Column(1) & "*') AND "

Shipper225

Windows XP Access 2007
Local time
When I get rid of the top line and modify the line you instructed I get a compile error "Compile error: Method or data member not found" and it highlights the .Column(1) in that string

Shipper225

Windows XP Access 2007
Local time
I've attached a sample of the database.

Attachments

• Transaction Search.zip
    446.3 KB · Views: 106

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
I don't need to look at your database yet. cboItem is not the name of the combo box.

Shipper225

Windows XP Access 2007
Local time
cboItem is the unbound field I type into for the search, Transaction Item is the field that is supposed to be searched.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
But what is the name of the combo box control? A control is not a field. A field is an "item" in a table, a control is an object on a form (e.g. textbox, combo box etc).

Shipper225

Windows XP Access 2007
Local time
The control source for the combo field is: Transaction Item
The row source for the field is: SELECT Inventory.ID, Inventory.Item, Inventory.Discontinued FROM Inventory;
And it is bound to column 1
I don't see anything that says Combo Box Control

Shipper225

Windows XP Access 2007
Local time
This may be a stupid question but once I remove the row source how am I supposed to change the control to a combo box since the control source remains the same (thank you so much for your patience)

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
What that link is suggesting is that you:

* Open your table in Design View
* Go to the field and click on the Lookup tab
* Change the Control Type from Combo Box (or List Box) to Textbox

Then go back to your form, drop a combo box onto it and follow the Combo Box Wizard to links things up. This link may help too:

http://www.btabdevelopment.com/ts/default.aspx?PageId=34

Shipper225

Windows XP Access 2007
Local time
Those links were very useful, thank you very much for all the assistance. Search form works like a dream and I've learned a few new tricks that'll keep me from asking the same questions again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom