Using my Access database from remote (1 Viewer)

targheauto

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:40
Hi everyone. I'm going to make some silly questions, I know, please bear with me.
I have an Access database that I developed through the years to keep track of my collections. I am the only user, no need for concurrent users at any time.
I developed nice and useful forms and the application works really great but .... now I would like to be able to have access to my data and forms while away from
my laptop as well.
I confess, I have absolutely no idea if this is possible/feasible and how. What I would like to achieve is to access my data from my mobile phone. I could imagine a
minimal solution where I can only read my data, no need to change them or input new data from mobile, so minimal requirement would be: being able to read my data
maybe with a minimal form that allows me to extract records with a simple query/ordering ...
I apologize in advance if my question may seem naive ...
Thank you for any suggestion that may arrive!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:40
Hi. From your description, it sounds like your database is on your laptop, correct? To use your phone to see the data, you have two basic optons: 1. move the data to an Internet hosted server, or 2. use a remote desktop app on your phone and have your laptop maintain an Internet connection.

targheauto

Registered User.
Local time
Correct! I would prefer to be able to move the data online somewhere, but using what? MySQL? I could accept having my main database on my laptop and then periodically syncing it online ... but how? And how about accessing data in a safe way, with a minimal form for data selection?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Correct! I would prefer to be able to move the data online somewhere, but using what? MySQL? I could accept having my main database on my laptop and then periodically syncing it online ... but how? And how about accessing data in a safe way, with a minimal form for data selection?
How much data are we talking about?

targheauto

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry for taking so long to reply. My database is made up of a main table containing about 7000 records, plus some accessory tables containing from a dozen to a few hundreds records. In all, the database file is no larger than 7 MB

targheauto

Registered User.
Local time
Rdp means anyway having Access running open on my laptop and connecting to my laptop from my cell ... I never did it, I don't know if it is manageable from the tiny display of a mobile device, plus I should always have my laptop turned on ...

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 23:40
visit the link.
you wouldn't know if you don't try.
i believe the software is Free.

targheauto

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, it could be a temporary solution just to try, but is not really what I was looking for ... I don't have a real server and this would mean keeping my laptop always on even when I'm not at home, that is not feasible for me

targheauto

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry for bothering again with this issue. I've been looking everywhere on the web but found no viable solution. My minimal target is being able to just view my data online, e.g., via browser on the phone, no need to edit/delete/insert from the web view. I could also assume to create a view in my access database in such a way to "flatten" most of the records' fields and then periodically export this view into something online that allows me to have my records at a glance wherever I go. I googled everything, I found references to a lot of tools, including Google Sheets/Forms, but really don't understand what would best fit my "simple" needs ... I am talking about around 7,000 records, I would need just some very basic filtering on the data, like a filter on 2-3 fields ... Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Did you also look into Power Apps? Maybe check out AppSheets as well.

targheauto

Registered User.
Local time
Yes I looked into it, but it's rather expensive ... I am doing this for myself, not for a corporate, I was looking for a free or almost free solution ...

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Just thinking out loud, but how about Caspio?

targheauto

Registered User.
Local time
I took a look and it looks interesting. They have a feature for importing an Access DB on their structure, but I have yet to better understand exactly what I could do with a free account ... I was also wondering if there was any Android app for DB management to which I could export/import my data and statically see them on the go ...

oldaf294

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:40
Hi everyone. I'm going to make some silly questions, I know, please bear with me.
I have an Access database that I developed through the years to keep track of my collections. I am the only user, no need for concurrent users at any time.
I developed nice and useful forms and the application works really great but .... now I would like to be able to have access to my data and forms while away from
my laptop as well.
I confess, I have absolutely no idea if this is possible/feasible and how. What I would like to achieve is to access my data from my mobile phone. I could imagine a
minimal solution where I can only read my data, no need to change them or input new data from mobile, so minimal requirement would be: being able to read my data
maybe with a minimal form that allows me to extract records with a simple query/ordering ...
Perhaps I'm behind the time, but I just, today downloaded SplashTop on my Android 8 inch pad and Splas
my laptop as well.
my laptop as well.
I might be behind the times, but I just, this afternoon downloaded SplashTop on my 8 inch Android pad and Windows 10 computer. I can interact with the desktop, start programs, including Access, and I'm able to actually, view in design mode, open forms and view the information. Outstanding! While my pad is fairly small (need to scroll to see) it is still very usuable a 10 in would be great. My wife called with a request to check for a collectable she found. I started SplashTop from the livingroom, opened my Access db, entered the number and found we already had it. I'm thrilled! It's on a Wifi home network and my pad doesn't have a phone. Not sure how it would work from another location to find my computer.
Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom