Validation Problem??? Please Help (1 Viewer)

pcdummy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:18
Ok.. am not sure if I am going to ask the right question here, but here goes... I am almost finished with a particular app, and do not have a bundle of money to spend on software that allows a registration code to be entered to ensure purchase.

However, i was wondering if some of you guys had any ideas on this approach, and advice (if possible) on how to implement.. When a user goes to the Company Setup Form (As in the Orders.mdb example.. ) They are presented with fields for Name, address, etc. etc..

I was wondering if I could use a field in this table that is set as a random number, then say take the Second Word from the name "Jeff's Used Cars", from the name field, then concoctanate the two values, except let's say mulitply the randomly generated number field times "1234" or anything.. Therefore if the randomly generated number were, say "2" then the registration code would be 2468Used..

We then can save the random number to the company setup table, and upon start up a function checks to ensure that formula is correct for the user. I know this type of security is most basic, and easily cracked; however, the clients that will use this software will never figure it out.. Sounds terrible I know, Just being realistic.. Any ideas on how to accomplish this would ne most appreciated.. If can get to work will post results for others to learn from.. Also if someome has a better solution I AM MORE THAN WILLING TO LISTEN...

Thanks again, everyone!!!

Jeff

pcdummy

Registered User.
Local time
I have the Developer2K Edition. Will use the runtime version..

Thanks for the quick reply..

Jeff

pcdummy

Registered User.
Local time
Will distribute , at least at first, by hand in local area as I have been approached by several Customers to write this app.. Trouble is can't sell for a bundle, and they will pirate it to death if given the chance..

Thanks
Jeff

R

Rich

Sorry been walkabout for a couple of days. There are a couple of thoughts. There is a function to get the Registered Owner/Company name from the registry, using this with an Autoexec macro you could check the computer name against the name you intend to distribute to stored in a Module. I can't find the function at this moment so it's not much use to you but you could use the same idea, set the name in a function if you use an autoexec macro to open a dialogue box to enter company name that matches your stored name the database will continue if not display a meaningfull message and quit. If you add the company name details to all the reports they intend to use it will make it pretty useless for another company. Make an MDE so modules, reports can't be altered it's not perfect but a start. You'll have to disable the shift bypass obviously though you should have another way to get in yourself.
HTH

russi

Registered User.
Local time
Hi.
The simple way I once used was to follow the above-mentioned idea of hardcoding the company's name to each report and screen.
While this might not bother an occasional user or 2, the majority would hate it!
It makes for a little more work on your end, but is good, basic answer to the problem.

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom