Variable screen size? (1 Viewer)

Mist

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:30
Is there a means of making an application grow/shrink to accomodate different screen sizes? eg. not all users of a distributed application will necessarily have the same screen size. Any coments appreciated. Thanks.

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:30
Yes you can in Access 2007+

It pays to develop at the small resolution and you need to deploy Anchoring and Continuous Forms rather than datasheets. Let's take an Standard Form - I have tried Arrange > Stacked but this was an awful mess so I basically look at each form and decide what I want to expand and unfortunately this can lead to overlapping controls, Access not not adhere to the concept of Float, so I have ended up being conservative.

Continuous Forms only allows 1 Control to be expandable (Horizontal Anchoring=Both) any control preceding this control will be anchored to the left and following anchored to the right.

The areas that works well is TabControls and subForms, providing there is something to expand, the subForm will use the remaing space both horizontally and vertically if required.

The way to test Anchoring is to enlarge the Navigation Pane and see what happens horizontally.

I only use Continuous Forms and Anchoring "you have accept the limitations"

Simon

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:30
it is complex, but relatively straightforward to add anchoring/resizing etc as a general feature in all versions of access - but can take a lot of time, as you need to manage settings for all controls.

it does look especially nice for a continuous form, or a large text box to resize with a form.

however in many ways, it makes more sense just to design an app for a standard monitor size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom