W (1 Viewer)

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:27
Rich said:
I doubt if they would, it differs greatly from the American one;)

Just spell a few things incorrectly (color, aluminum, jewelry, etc.) and you'll be fine. ;)

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
I'm embarrassed by this thread.

I’ve told many people in the real world how I enjoy debating with a group of extremely intelligent people.

Thank God none of them are reading this thread to get their first impressions.

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:27
Well the first couple pages were a hoot n' a holler! Page 3 was pretty good, and page 6 had some quality banter. Just tell your friends to stop there. :D

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Kraj said:
Well the first couple pages were a hoot n' a holler! Page 3 was pretty good, and page 6 had some quality banter. Just tell your friends to stop there. :D

LOL, literally

Thanks Kraj

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Matt Greatorex said:
Just spell a few things incorrectly (color, aluminum, jewelry, etc.) and you'll be fine. ;)
don't forget to replace the "tt" and "t" in words with "dd", e.g. better = "bedder" or British = "Briddish".

New = Noo (Noo York)
Tap = Fawsett
Bonnet (of car) = Hood
Boot (of car) = trunk
pavement = sidewalk

Maybe we should have a separate thread on this - "How Americans spell things or change words totally":D ;)

Col

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
Maybe we should have a separate thread on this - "How Americans spell things or change words totally":D ;)
or perhaps as an alternate title:

The British: A Study in Acerbicity :cool:

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 05:27
ColinEssex said:

I'm sure you meant "How Americans have bettered the English language." :D :p

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
don't forget to replace the "tt" and "t" in words with "dd", e.g. better = "bedder" or British = "Briddish".

New = Noo (Noo York)
Tap = Fawsett
Bonnet (of car) = Hood
Boot (of car) = trunk
pavement = sidewalk
Down south we don't say Noo York, we say (That stinking liberal east coast)
Tap is what you do when you want someone's attention and their back is to you (Tap them on the shoulder)
Bonnet is what little girls wear to church
Boot is either foot gear, or thrown out (We gave Saddam the boot)
Pavement means a manmade, hard surface outside. Sidewalk, Street, parking lot, etc.

Maybe we should have a separate thread on this - "How Americans spell things or change words totally":D ;) l
Humm, last time I was in the UK, I noticed even yall' speak differently depending where you are at in the UK. So it really sounds like you are just going into your picking on the U.S. mode again.

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
Bodisathva said:
or perhaps as an alternate title:

The British: A Study in Acerbicity :cool:

Or even 'acerbity', if only it were actually true. ;)

How about 'The USA: A nation built upon the use of invidious traducing'? :D

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
I'm sure you meant "How Americans have bettered the English language." :D :p

I'm sure you meant improved, when you better somebody don't you beat them at something.

When it comes to spelling then I think that the deliberate review the US made to remove unnescesary(damn now I can't spell:eek: ) letters from words eg color and spell centre as center etc has a lot of merit, pity they hadn't been sensible about their date format:rolleyes: , as far as different names and constructs are concerned, as FoFa says thats universal.

Brian

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
I made that word up at 9:30 this morning and it's taken more than two hours for anyone else to notice...I was expecting Col to jump all over it. :eek:
Matt Greatorex said:
invidious traducing
naw...I's jus' playin':D

how about: The Brits: Is It Love or Vituperation?

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
Bodisathva said:
I made that word up at 9:30 this morning and it's taken more than two hours for anyone else to notice...I was expecting Col to jump all over it. :eek:

It was just one of those times where something about the word didn't look right, so I searched a dictionary for it (to ensure I hadn't been getting it wrong all this time). Funnily enough, as I found out, there are plenty of websites where people use the 'made up' version.

Bodisathva said:
how about: The Brits: Is It Love or Vituperation?

I could live with that :D

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Making up words if fun. :) Is there a word for "making up words and passing them off as real"? If not, let's make one up! :D

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Brianwarnock said:
I'm sure you meant improved, when you better somebody don't you beat them at something.

I thought that to 'better' something was to make it, well, better. :confused: Oh, well. No matter, it was just a snarky comment anyway. ;)

Matt Greatorex said:
I think you'll find 'battered' has an 'a' in it :D

dan-cat said:
Ok, I admit, that was witty. :D

I got a good laugh out of it too. :D

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 12:27
Kraj said:
Making up words if fun. :) Is there a word for "making up words and passing them off as real"? If not, let's make one up! :D

Liar ?

Transistory ?

Anchorwoman ?

Doei.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom