Weather (1 Viewer)

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 17:37
Two days ago it was 75 degrees (23.89 Celsius) and today we have 10 1/2 inches of snow. :rolleyes:

Anyone else have strange weather stories like this?

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
Two days ago it was 75 degrees (23.89 Celsius) and today we have 10 1/2 inches of snow. :rolleyes:

lol the same here, except the snow part, would actually prefer to have the snow to go with the 20 degrees here. (-7 centigrade)

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
KalelGmoon said:
lol the same here, except the snow part, would actually prefer to have the snow to go with the 20 degrees here. (-7 centigrade)

The really fun part is that we have that 2 inches or more of sleet and ice that fell before the snow started, so driving is pretty treachorous. I've been working from home yesterday and today.

The temperature here is about 20 also. You didn't get any snow? :)

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:37
MrsGorilla said:

Actually it is the hottest fall since 1870 here in NL.
No snow or below 0 temp here. But it looks like it's going to change, more stormy weather and such.

MrsGorilla said:
I've been working from home yesterday and today.

Our office wouldn't accept that. We just have to come in regardless of the weather conditions.:eek:

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
rak said:
Our office wouldn't accept that. We just have to come in regardless of the weather conditions.:eek:

I know I'm lucky to have that option. Of course, I keep track of my hours and I turn a leave slip for vacation time into my boss for any hours I don't get in. Not everyone where I work has that option, particularly those that they don't "trust" to accurately report their hours. ;)

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:37
MrsGorilla said:
I know I'm lucky to have that option.

You sure are Cindy.

MrsGorilla said:
Not everyone where I work has that option, particularly those that they don't "trust" to accurately report their hours. ;)

On the basis of what would they define the trusted ones ? :confused:

We have an ongoing discussion here about "home-" or "teleworking", but management is deaf for any arguments. I hope this winter we'll get some really low temp's like -20 C. That probably will ruin the public transport schedule to such extend that we have to work from home ;)

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
The temperature here is about 20 also. You didn't get any snow? :)

Nope no snow, though tot he south and the east of us they got loads of snow apparently

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 23:37
Hi Rak
Do you get a lot of snow and ice on the Dutch mountains, I was wondering if I came to climb them in the winter would I need crampons and an ice axe.

Brian

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 18:37
Brianwarnock said:
Hi Rak
Do you get a lot of snow and ice on the Dutch mountains, I was wondering if I came to climb them in the winter would I need crampons and an ice axe.

Brian
You climb mountains Brain?

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
MrsGorilla said:

It's on its way here as we speak.

The wind is blowing 50 mph (80 k/h) and tonight it's supposed to drop 30 to 40 degrees.

R

Rich

jsanders said:
Well I hate to say this but what we call a mountain is just a little hill in the US.
However the view from the top is still pretty good;)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
jsanders said:

Well I walk up 3000 footers , but only in the summer, I'm guessing that Raks location is a joke as I think Hollands highest point is measured in inches.

You would not get me climbing half dome or el capitan, I think thats correct , in Yosemite, infact once ropes are needed I'm outa there.

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Actually how high a hill is often bears no relationship to its height, the 2 mile top of Rocky Mountain park was a doddle, then i did start from the shop:D

brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Cindy the weather here is ridiculously mild, instead of scraping the ice off our windscreens I'm still in short sleeved shirts.

brian

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Brianwarnock said:
Well I walk up 3000 footers , but only in the summer, I'm guessing that Raks location is a joke as I think Hollands highest point is measured in inches.

You would not get me climbing half dome or el capitan, I think thats correct , in Yosemite, infact once ropes are needed I'm outa there.

Brian

Last summer I built a lodge in Colorado (9300 feet) there was a rock close by that went up to about 10,000 feet, I pictured you climbing that rock at 65 and was thinking; hell I could hardly walk a ¼ of a mile at 9300 feet.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Apparently ability at altitude has nothing to do with fitness , I virtually ran up the climb at 10000 in the park mentioned, I was 63 at the time, other people were struggling to walk the thinner air just got to them, I ran around the rim at Bryce 85000, I think , most thought me mad, but Hazel just loves Bryce and can hardly walk so i had to take loads of video and pics for her then catch up with the group.

Brian

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Actually it took me about a week to get acclimated after that it became easier, and finally, after a month of so it seemed normal.

I remember taking a trip down (literally) to Steam Boat Springs to go to the Wal-Mart and feeling like I was at sea level again. Steam Boat’s at 7800 feet.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
rak said:
On the basis of what would they define the trusted ones ? :confused:

They pretty much leave it up to the individual supervisors since they best know their employees. My boss is pretty laid back about it. Of course, you have to have a job that allows you to work from home, such as programming. I have a work laptop and a wireless Internet connection from home and, using VPN and Remote Desktop Connection, I can dial into work and use my desktop computer as if I were sitting there, or get to any server that I need. Mostly I just have to put the things I need on my 1GB thumb drive though and I just transfer the stuff from my desktop to my laptop that way, which also enables me to have a somewhat recent backup of anything I've been working on.

Cosmos75

Registered User.
Local time
MrsGorilla said:
One of the first things I was told when I moved to Oklahoma was this
If you don't like the weather, stick around... it'll change
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom