What are the top things you would like to see in a future version of Access? (1 Viewer)

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:11
Yeah. Who wouldn't want any of those features? ;)
On the other hand, imagine what would happen if MS actually implemented all of thost features - Access might become so easy to use and so stable that they wouldn't need us anymore :eek:

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:11
Well, until they figure out a way to automatically do the database theory and do all programming, I'm pretty sure they'll still need us to actually build the darned thing. :D

Though, we'd be a bit poorer because we'd be done too fast and there may not be enough work to go around. (Unless they keep adding more functionality to the database and ask us to implement them... :D )

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Well, until they figure out a way to automatically do the database theory and do all programming, I'm pretty sure they'll still need us to actually build the darned thing. :D

Though, we'd be a bit poorer because we'd be done too fast and there may not be enough work to go around. (Unless they keep adding more functionality to the database and ask us to implement them... :D )

I guess I shouldn't worry, I've yet to find a user that DIDN'T want more functionality added when the program was finished.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
As I thought, the votes are pretty well dispersed. I think we need more voters to get any better idea of priority. Come on people, vote! It's not like it's political or anything :)

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:11
Alisa:

Good choices. I've read through the thread but forgive me if I'm repeating what someone else posted:

- I know this has been said but my biggest frustration is creating an application and having to worry about what version of Access is installed on the client's computer. Some networks have a hodgepodge of Access versions and/or runtime installations. I can't think of any other development platform that can't "just run". Compiling it into an exe that will run so long as you own a computer would solve this.

- I don't know if anyone's emphasized yet the importance of having a better native database backend. Yes, I know that Access is not JET and JET is not Acccess and you can use Access with any backend you want, but I'd like to be able to create a table using Access and have it create the table natively using a database that does not have the problems that JET is known for. If Microsoft wants to create a version of SQL Server that works that way, fine, but just as I don't have to worry about ODBC and DNS connections and connections strings and so on to create a JET table, I'd like to be able to do the same without having all the crashing and corrupting that we all love JET for. It would be good to be able to run a database on a wide area network without having to convert the back end to MySQL or SQL Server.

- Web integration. Data Access Pages was a good try. I'd like to see some more natural way to have database-driven webpages via Access without having to completely rewrite the front-end using ASP.

- It would be nice if Microsoft put back the ability to export reports to Excel and a graphic way to develop menu bars. I can't fathom why they removed these 2 for Access 2007 but that gives me reason not to buy it.

In my opinion, these things are so basic that they come before any bells or whistles for a new version.

SHADOW

Last edited:

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:11
I would like to see either Access/Word be easier or Access have Word properties.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
So you can't make a custom menu bar in 2007 the way you can in 2003? That is very disturbing if it is true. Didn't they discontinue support of Data Access Pages? I agree, some sort of basic web integration would be wonderful.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
I would like to see either Access/Word be easier or Access have Word properties.

I agree, it would be nice if some of the formatting capabilities of word were innate in Access, without having to use third party Active x controls.

redneckgeek

Local time
Just thought of this one today.

There are lots and lots of posts on this forum about automatically inserting records into a child table whenever a new record is added to the parent table.

That could easily be fixed with TRIGGERS like they have in SQL Server.

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Just thought of this one today.

There are lots and lots of posts on this forum about automatically inserting records into a child table whenever a new record is added to the parent table.

That could easily be fixed with TRIGGERS like they have in SQL Server.

Yes, triggers are an excellent idea!

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
So you can't make a custom menu bar in 2007 the way you can in 2003? .

You can but you have to use their XML coding to do so. There are some 3rd party graphic tools to give you back this functionality. This is one reason I haven't bought Access 2007. I really am puzzled as to why Microsoft would remove somthing like that.

Didn't they discontinue support of Data Access Pages? I agree, some sort of basic web integration would be wonderful.

Yes, they did. Data Access pages were a good idea but they never really took off. I think there should be an updated replacement.

Oh, and it would be nice to have real drag and drop functionality on forms.

I will be honest here: I still use Access XP. I was not interested in 2003 because of the security headache thing and little problems like the flashing tab controls. Again, when Access 2007 came out, there were problems such as combo boxes losing their colour, you can't export reports to Excel anymore, the trusted location thing is even worse and possibly the worst aspect is that you need a high-end graphics card for it to run on a basic level, otherwise it takes forever to draw. I have no idea why these things are "upgrades" but I'm not spending all that money for them...

SHADOW

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
You can but you have to use their XML coding to do so. There are some 3rd party graphic tools to give you back this functionality. This is one reason I haven't bought Access 2007. I really am puzzled as to why Microsoft would remove somthing like that.

Yes, they did. Data Access pages were a good idea but they never really took off. I think there should be an updated replacement.

Oh, and it would be nice to have real drag and drop functionality on forms.

I will be honest here: I still use Access XP. I was not interested in 2003 because of the security headache thing and little problems like the flashing tab controls. Again, when Access 2007 came out, there were problems such as combo boxes losing their colour, you can't export reports to Excel anymore, the trusted location thing is even worse and possibly the worst aspect is that you need a high-end graphics card for it to run on a basic level, otherwise it takes forever to draw. I have no idea why these things are "upgrades" but I'm not spending all that money for them...

SHADOW

Ah yes, I think the "xml fiasco" is already on the list somewhere.
I think it would be nice to have more intuitive drag and drop functionality - it is there, but you have to code so many events that it is a real pain to implement it. I also have no plans to use Vista and/or 2007 - I have enough headaches in my life!

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Ah yes, I think the "xml fiasco" is already on the list somewhere.
I think it would be nice to have more intuitive drag and drop functionality - it is there, but you have to code so many events that it is a real pain to implement it.

Using the code that Microsoft has on their website with listboxes has one MAJOR problem that prevents me from using it. If you click an item and hold the mouse button down, then you move the mouse slightly up, it will select another item from the list box. The coding is not intelligent enough to know that the button is down because you are trying to drag. You can download one of the samples on Microsoft's website and see that for yourself (people have noted this on this forum). That makes the feature useless to me. I'd rather have arrows or something than have people call me irate that it's selecting something that they didn't intend.

SHADOW

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Using the code that Microsoft has on their website with listboxes has one MAJOR problem that prevents me from using it. If you click an item and hold the mouse button down, then you move the mouse slightly up, it will select another item from the list box. The coding is not intelligent enough to know that the button is down because you are trying to drag. You can download one of the samples on Microsoft's website and see that for yourself (people have noted this on this forum). That makes the feature useless to me. I'd rather have arrows or something than have people call me irate that it's selecting something that they didn't intend.

SHADOW

Yes, I have fought that very problem before - you can however use a listVIEW control which will do drag and drop as you expect.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
you can however use a listVIEW control which will do drag and drop as you expect.

I've never heard of this one. A fast glance at the list of ActiveX controls shows the listview control. I'll check it out and see if I can find some documentation...thanks, Alisa!

SHADOW

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
I've never heard of this one. A fast glance at the list of ActiveX controls shows the listview control. I'll check it out and see if I can find some documentation...thanks, Alisa!

SHADOW

You are welcome - there is a good example somewhere on this board of a drag and drop routine using listviews. The pain of it is, listviews have to be loaded with code - they are not bound (already one of my complaints on the list), but if you need to do drag and drop, it is worth it. Let me know if you can't find it, and I will search for it.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
The pain of it is, listviews have to be loaded with code - they are not bound (already one of my complaints on the list), but if you need to do drag and drop, it is worth it. Let me know if you can't find it, and I will search for it.

I usually use coding for my listboxes anyway to define the recordsource and update the data as you select items and so on, so I don't mind some coding :)

SHADOW

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
I usually use coding for my listboxes anyway to define the recordsource and update the data as you select items and so on, so I don't mind some coding :)

SHADOW

Yeah, but with a list view, you can't just define a recordsource. You have to get a recordset and then add the items to the listview one by one. It kind of sucks until you get used to it.

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Yeah, but with a list view, you can't just define a recordsource. You have to get a recordset and then add the items to the listview one by one. It kind of sucks until you get used to it.

Hoo boy, what a pain...

While on the topic of listboxes (and back to the theme of this thread), It would be nice to be able to format the columns more nicely. This is documented on Microsoft's site that there's little you can do if you want a date format to show one way or other, or left or right justify columns and so on.

I maintain that Microsoft has a LONG way to go working on basics before getting fancier bells and whistles into Access...

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Hoo boy, what a pain...

While on the topic of listboxes (and back to the theme of this thread), It would be nice to be able to format the columns more nicely. This is documented on Microsoft's site that there's little you can do if you want a date format to show one way or other, or left or right justify columns and so on.

I maintain that Microsoft has a LONG way to go working on basics before getting fancier bells and whistles into Access...

I agree 110% on that last statement. I don't understand why they went all wild on 2007 instead of improving things that people really want. Well, actually I do understand - it is all about marketing instead of actual product quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom