What are the top things you would like to see in a future version of Access? (2 Viewers)

NigelShaw

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:13
So you can't make a custom menu bar in 2007 the way you can in 2003? That is very disturbing if it is true. Didn't they discontinue support of Data Access Pages? I agree, some sort of basic web integration would be wonderful.

Why does everyone think you cant make a custom bar in 2007? firstly, you can add to the QAT ( Quick Access Toolbar ) and add what you want.
secondly, there is no end to what can be done for a custom bar. sure, its not 2003 but things move on. does everything need to look dated because people cant accept change?

here is a great example of custom menus in 2007.
http://www.pcesoft.com/
This is completely access only and no 3rd party program was used though there are some good menu builders available
http://www.ribboncreator.de/en/
http://wvw.downarchive.com/software/graphics__design/2400-idbe-ribbon-creator-1.1018.html
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/WPF/ribbonbuilder.aspx
http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer/index.php

alternatively, add a little xml to an access table and you're away without any other program.

2007 has the ability to create the menus but only if people want accept the change. my personal opinion is 2007 has a fresh new look whereas 2003 is more limited and not that different from 97.

Nigel

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:13
Great info Nigel, thanks! As I said before, I haven't worked with 2007, so everything I know about it is second hand.

NigelShaw

Registered User.
Local time
So you can't make a custom menu bar in 2007 the way you can in 2003? That is very disturbing if it is true. Didn't they discontinue support of Data Access Pages? I agree, some sort of basic web integration would be wonderful.

Hi Shadow,

i responded to another comment. ( see above ).

there are various ways to add a ribbon. im just in the process of making an addin that will give a graphical way of producing a ribbon in access. this works by constantly invalidating the ribbon to show changes. when you add a button and select an image etc, applying it will invalidate the ribbon and place the button in the group. i am trying to add a callback system at present. this seems harder than the actual ribbon itself!!

nigel

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 03:13
Hmm, not much votes on the spreadsheet.

Wondering if it should merit a separate thread to get more votes... (God, I sound like an attention *****! :eek:)

WRT DAPs, and ribbons; I could be in the minority, but I've thought that DAP were useless since you could just use ASP.NET and link it against Access database. I'm quite sure there's a simple website builder to help faciliiate the process and they'd be much better than DAP. With ribbons, I've felt they were a step back in UI. They eat up my valuable space and force me to browse through each tab to find whatever I need finding.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
. With ribbons, I've felt they were a step back in UI. They eat up my valuable space and force me to browse through each tab to find whatever I need finding.
Not really, when you get to know it like you know the menus on Access 97-2003 it is actually less clicks for most. Also, you CAN use the keyboard to access the ribbon as well.

Banana

Local time
Aha, but they're still eating up my space once I've learned the shortcuts. At least the menus stay out of my way until I actually need it.

LPurvis

AWF VIP
Local time
I originally wasn't going to comment at all in this thread. But I thought there might be some value to doing so. We'll see.
There are, naturally things I want. Functionalities I'd like to see.
But I can't really comment on certain items that actually are being worked on in a coming Access version.
And some items fall into that category - and others there are reasons that they won't happen because of what *is* happening - and other items I just don't feel the need/desire to comment on. (So no inference can be drawn on the items I don't discuss in the following points - just to make that clear :p)

I'm glad someone reiterated the distinction between Access and the DB engine.
We need to remember what we're asking to be improved.
Bear in mind that, yes, ACE (I'll call it there here) is owned by the Access team - but it's now the database engine for *Office*.
There is only so much investment that's ever going to be put into this.
(Because of the alternatives that MS has to push, SQL Server, Sharepoint...)
I think it does us good to focus on things (and make a big noise to MS about) that have a real shot of being included.
So they aren't lost amid the burden of some white elephants.
But this speaks to the point (near the end of the published list - but I'll mention it first)...
>> make Access much more robust with regards to networking and provide error handling for networking issues
I think everyone would like to see ACE become as robust as possible.
I'd imagine most would sacrifice new db engine functionality in favour of this but it would have to be quantifiable. Can you imagine the fuss as the first reports came out of a corrupted db in some "new robust" engine format. People would be looking for it - it would be under a microscope for quite some time. Would those people be appeased if MS responded "well it's better than it was" lol

>> Bound treeview and listview controls
Yes - effectively more native data controls (which these would then have to become).
Less dependence on ActiveX in general is only a good thing.
Access excels in it's native data controls with strong default binding functionality.
It's essentially unique in that regard. Let's see it even stronger.

>> Ability to show different image for each record in a continuous form
Depends how you work it.
If the path is defined for each row then 2007 already supports recordsource bound Image controls.

>> Restore the new look and feel in 2007 back to 2003
Nah. Just never going to happen. MS are committed to the Ribbon.
It's spread throughout Office and beyond makes it near impossible to backtrack.
(No - I don't love it, and really dislike the Nav pain. Sorting, filtering great. But too limiting a list after the using whole, sizable DB window for so long).

>> easy interface to integrate ribbon use instead of the XML fiasco
IMO (and this is my opinion only) this could only have been the result of a time constraint in the development cycle.
But, as has been pointed out by some in the past - if you want to feel your vitalness as a developer and separate yourself from users... what better way than needing XML to customise your menu interface ;-)

>> Editable crosstabs
Really?
But crosstabs are transformed aggregate queries.
Aggregates aren't (and by definition can't be) editable. I don't see how this works. Are we talking about Crosstab like forms?

>> Retain formatting in SQL view of query, allow commenting
Oh don't even get me started. lol
I've been on for this for so long now.
Commenting I could live without but it would be nice... but the parser MUST leave my SQL alone.
A bit of colour, nicer formatting and SQL tools would be nice.

>> Drill down into sub-queries in the QBE
I could do without this.
IMO if you're writing subqueries then you're probably SQL literate.
The QBE would have to become soo complex. Do we allow for corrolation? Sub-sub queries?

>> Give *real* paramaterized queries/prepared statement a la Oracle/MySQL/MS SQL
I just can't see MS spending large amounts of time on this for the reasons I outlined at the start of this post.
Default values for declared parameters in ACE might be a nice start...
But then without conditional statement execution there's only so much we can use those for (as common methods of optional parameters, without using dynamic SQL in VBA, in Jet add inefficiency).

>> Adopt the Excel/Word macro paradigm (using VBA) and institute a macro recorder
I think most suspect this isn't going to happen. Would that be true?
Access is somewhat unique in that its interface is only an intermediate stage in the purpose of the application.
When you're working in Word - you're working on a Document.
In Excel - on a spreadsheet.
But of course, the Macro recorder disables clicks during those times - to increase predictability.
Access has unpredictable use coming out of its ears :)

>> Invoke the QBE within VBA and format SQL from QBE into VB ready string
An interesting idea actually. But ultimately it's a time saver for us isn't it?
I'd rather keep spending that time and acquire new things that Access simply can't do as yet.
(Similar feelings Re Word integration etc).

>> Provide Application Events
Again form based workarounds exist. But I agree - the Access application object offers no events at all whereas other Office apps do.
However - while we're talking wished for new events here? I'll offer one...
BeforeCurrent
(raised prior to navigating away from a record)

>> VBA commands for *everything* that you can do in the frontend, like splitting database
Well, to take that particular example, that just started life as a Wizard that a member of the Access team wrote and implemented.
It itself consists of several commands.

>> Ability to turn mde into exe
As old as the hills this one.
Do we reckon it'll ever happen? I don't see why it will myself.
It'd be a big old bloated EXE anyway though - and would negate the potential of just using an existing Access install (and offering a small file size instead).
Unless we're talking about an EXE format that *still* required Access to be installed to run.

>> Use different registry keys for different versions of Access so that running multiple versions doesn't cause problems
I'd say general installation, distribution and multiple install issues all together need work.
The time lag between 2003 and 2007 is just not acceptable (despite the SP1 improvement).

>> Make Access completely separate from the rest of MS Office, instead make it an Add-On to Visual Studio
I was actually responding to this point of Banana's in some other thread recently - but lost the page before sending and really couldn't face typing it again.
Fundamentally - I can't see this happening.
It might if Access was near being binned - and as a last ditch effort to get some more use out of it, this was persuaded as a last alternative.
I love Access. (No surprise there).
I think it's a great development tool for database applications - and yes, for serious developers.
Where Jet starts to fail us as we SQL Server (and others) as an excellent choice... and (as developers) we can make it all sing and come together with robustness, power and control. (Sometimes by some convolution rather than default functionality - see many points in this thread ;-).
Great.
Cool!
But that's not why Access exists.
It was created - and it remains to this day - as the leading desktop database application in the world.
It's the database that MS want office workers the world over to reach for and use for tasks that they really shouldn't be using Excel for anymore. To allow them to access and work with data from multiple sources in a way that they'd have no hope of doing so otherwise.
Yes we, as developers, want loads of cool toys. (And I do think we were somewhat overlooked in 2007 - but for reasons).
Many of the things introduced have been attributed as functionality for core users - not developers.
Ummm... yeah.
:)
I'm not happy about it of course, I want developer toys!! ;-) But it is what it is.
If the millions of users using Access for their office work (and let's not forget - asking questions of us online) are why it still exists - then I just have to accept both the balance of user Vs developer toys with each release and that Access is part of Office - for office workers and within those contraints. (e.g. VBA, ACE, Ribbon).

Selected other items would I like to see...
Better Report binding (recordsets, PTs etc).
Some better server DB integration tools. (Deliberately vague on that one - but I think it will do Access good if it doesn't crawl too deeply into bed with just SQL Server - a la ADP - but increases integration more and more).
I'd imagine we'll see managed code added progressively into Access.
I don't see VBA dissappearing in a poof and as the smoke clears VB2010 (or whatever) sitting there in its place.
But hey. Primarily - as long as Access keeps going.
You can't win a race if you're not still in it. :)

Cheers.

LPurvis

AWF VIP
Local time
Whoops - that ended up a bit bigger than I'd intended when I started.
Sorry folks.

Banana

Local time
Leigh,

Thanks for sharing your insight- it was quite interesting!

One thing, though... I would love to see some kind of statistics on how many Access databases were developed by nonprogrammer/office workers *and* died as a single-user application. IOW, how many times does an Access application stay strictly on the worker's desktop and never goes onto to be the departmental database and eventually mission critical database?

Just by browsing the forum, it's quite easy to have the impression that many people start using Access to solve problems where Excel wasn't up to snuff for, but run into troubles (be it normalization, interface, help with VBA, whatever), they look for help and get help from others. Then there's those threads that discussed about why IT dept hates Access; I don't need to rehash that topic but suffice to say that to my eyes, there is a clear impression that a sizable number of Access applications do eventually go mission critical and thus need to be upsized or even scrapped entirely in favor of a full stop front-end.

And that's the basis of my (opinionated! bigoted! obstinate! pigheaded!) arguments that Access ought to be made more scalable so it's easy to move from a one-click Wizard-assisted development into full-tilt, raw and powerful IDE with complete control over every little things. And I'd think Microsoft would be helping attracting more revenues if they provided such clear path that would help IT shops save on re-developing the front-end application because they would be able to tweak Access as much as they would in a VS IDE, even if it's an optional add-on that you have to cough up dough for.

But that's just my not-so-humble (that dad-blasted fool!) opinion. ;)

Nonetheless, you are absolutely correct that Access is primarily for office workers, not for developers and 2007 version seems to make this clear, much to my gall.

LPurvis

AWF VIP
Local time

Banana

Local time
Yes, I saw that FMS article, but all it had was that one statement; no hard numbers or anything. (I did saw a post long time ago here saying that he did have number in presentation but not in print and it was less than 2%... but 2% of what?)

Thanks for the second article; will read up on it now.

Also to play devil's advocate; even if it were true that very small number of databases does make it to next level, does it necessitate that making it more scalable is doomed to fail? Maybe VS developer actually would love to have Access's fine control over binding in their application, for example? It's easy to forget that when we change something about the application, we're also changing the audience.

Or I'm just being desperate and pertinent, grasping at straws. :)

NigelShaw

Registered User.
Local time
Aha, but they're still eating up my space once I've learned the shortcuts. At least the menus stay out of my way until I actually need it.

how much space does a person need:D

Did you know that double clicking a ribbon makes it minimized?

I think in general ui terms, buttons, menus all need about the same space. Where in 2003 you would buttons on forms but save space with menus, a ribbon cuts out buttons so you lose space with a ribbon but gain it back on your form without a buuton panel need.

In fairness, my current db only has 1 tab yet facilitates 10 screens of only related items so it's quite dynamic. I would much prefer this to a dropdown menu.

Regs
NS

Ps
Sorry for heading of topic:)

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time

All you have to do is either double click on a tab or click CTL+F1 and it compresses the ribbon.

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
Today, 05:13
If we are dreaming ... I want the wizard that takes a photo image I take of my whiteboard, interpret it, analyze it, and create the database. :D

On the presentation side of Access. I would like see the ability to mix fonts and styles inside of a label or control. Most of the reports I create are replacements because the organization wants to get rid of pre-printed forms and print them on-the-fly. Also, the rendering of fonts from the design to print preview are drastically different making that particular task longer than should be required. Last, either provide some applet for easier exportation or merging or make the reports "real" objects that can be passed to other applications without loss of formatting or presentation.

-dK

Dennisk

AWF VIP
Local time
I don't need any new features, just less bugs and a more robust .mdb file. i.e. One that didn't corrupt if you sneezed at it.

datAdrenaline

AWF VIP
Local time
Hello Nigel ...

I am replying to you, since you seem to be the defender of the Ribbon .. :) ... I will start off by saying, I don't like that ribbon in its current form, BUT, I can see potential in it, however, that "potential" lead down a path that is similar to Toolbars/Command Bars.

Here are some things that are a definate hinderance, and cause lack of productivity ...

- Context Sensitivity. The ribbon you want does not gain the focus. For example: Create a query in Design view, the Query Design tools ribbons appear, and have the focus .. great! ... Now create a form in design veiw (whilst the Query is still in design view) ... the Form Design tools appear and gain the focus ... great!! ... now switch back to the Query Design ... DOH!! ... your at the Home ribbon ... The Home ribbon often gets the focus when I would EXPECT the Ribbon that is needed for the task at hand to regain the focus as appropriate .... Just like with the Toolbars, they were dynamic with respect to the object the user had selected, this concept has simply been lost with the Ribbons and the NavPane.

- Lack of information: In word, when you move your cursor through the text, the toolbar indicated your paragraph style and other attributes about your current paragraph or text. With the ribbons, that information is gone.... you can put it in the QAT .. but why do I have to!

- No where on the Ribbon can we save our objects! ... you have to use the Office Menu to save something ... I would think that on the context ribbons (or on the Create <in Access> ribbon) there would be a Save button! ... yes ... you can add that to the QAT ... but with Toolbars, the Save button was quite prevalent and one click away.

- Why ... in Access ... do we NOT have a "Developer" tab ... when in all other Office apps, that are no where near as developer oriented as Access, has a "Developer" tab.... kindof odd ...

- When in Access (a NavPane/Ribbon correlation thing here) ... selecting on an object in the NavPane, *should*, at a minimum effect the View button on the Home ribbon, so you can view the selected object in Design/Layout/etc. view ... but ... the View button, as I recall, gets disabled.

- Similar to the NavPane/Ribbon disconnect above ... it seems odd that I click on "Delete" in the RECORDS group of the Home Ribbon to DELETE a Database Object!!! ... Please note that the SAME button will indeed delete a Record, so .... For many users, there objects have been deleted when in fact they intended to delete a Record!! ...

- Once you lose a persistent object variable that points to the Ribbon Object, you MUST restart the db app to regain that object variable ... I would like to see at least one other VBA hook into the ribbon ... something like ...

Set rbnx = Application.RibbonX

----

In my opinion the key to making the Ribbon a fluent, usable, interface is the contextual aspect of it ... where commands are in the respective tabs and groups will, no-doubt, evolve (and hopefully become better) over time ... but the "Click a tab to find out what I can do" mode of operation *should* change to a philosophy the Toolbars did so well to express.... click an object, then the Application shows you UP FRONT what you can do with that object. In order to fulfill that functionality, I beleive the GROUPS with in a ribbon will have to be much more dynamic. For example: if the Home Tab of the Ribbon always steals the focus, then the Groups within the Home Tab should be dynamic with respect to the object that has the focus ... no matter if that object focus is through the NavPane or an opened object. For example: If a form object has the users focus, Access should show a Group in the Home Tab the relates to Form commands. There are other ways to attain a higher degree of contextualness, so my mind is not closed to the proposal I have indicated ... but, IMO, the contextualness of the Ribbons is a HUGE problem with respect to discoverability.

datAdrenaline

AWF VIP
Local time
Oh ... while I am speaking of the Ribbon .... and the UI in general ...

I REALLY dislike the fact that when Access starts, your Startup form launches, then is shoved out of the way with the Ribbon ... I figure Access knows the state of the Ribbon (minized or not) and should then place the form in the right spot ... either offset 2 inches down or not ... The SAME lack of joy is experienced with the NavPane! I figure the NavPane should follow the tabbed windows setting. If Tabbed Interface is shown, then your user interface objects (ie: the tabbed docs) will not go under the nav pane. But in "Overlapping Windows" mode user interface objects could float UNDER the NavPane, and when showing/hiding the NavPane my UI objects would be uneffected with respect to position. In addition, I think the NavPane should have an autohide option, can have the ability to take on functionality (through the Navigation Options) virtually equivalent to SQL Server Management Studio's Object Browser.

NigelShaw

Registered User.
Local time
hi Dat,

i defend the ribbon as i like change. to summarize-

- Context Sensitivity. The ribbon you want does not gain the focus. For example: Create a query in Design view, the Query Design tools ribbons appear, and have the focus .. great! ... Now create a form in design veiw (whilst the Query is still in design view) ... the Form Design tools appear and gain the focus ... great!! ... now switch back to the Query Design ... DOH!! ... your at the Home ribbon ... The Home ribbon often gets the focus when I would EXPECT the Ribbon that is needed for the task at hand to regain the focus as appropriate .... Just like with the Toolbars, they were dynamic with respect to the object the user had selected, this concept has simply been lost with the Ribbons and the NavPane.

what is so hard with clicking a tab? when the tabs ( which are grouped for usefulness ) are clicked, everything relavent is there without having to search for it in a dropdown

- Lack of information: In word, when you move your cursor through the text, the toolbar indicated your paragraph style and other attributes about your current paragraph or text. With the ribbons, that information is gone.... you can put it in the QAT .. but why do I have to!

we are not dealing with word, this is mainly focused on Access as this is what the discussion is for. of course, you can add this to the main ribbon too if desired so it there at fingertips.

- No where on the Ribbon can we save our objects! ... you have to use the Office Menu to save something ... I would think that on the context ribbons (or on the Create <in Access> ribbon) there would be a Save button! ... yes ... you can add that to the QAT ... but with Toolbars, the Save button was quite prevalent and one click away.

many programs are like this. autoCAD, VectorWorks etc. there is nothing wrong with saveas through a menu. however, again this can be easily fixed by adding it to your main home tab. beforeMso i believe it might be without looking up.

- Why ... in Access ... do we NOT have a "Developer" tab ... when in all other Office apps, that are no where near as developer oriented as Access, has a "Developer" tab.... kindof odd ...

i would hazard a guess that the other programs like word / excel are not built for the development like Access is. probably why excel has a recorder for easy non technical use whereas Access is mainly development so why a need for even more development tabs?

- When in Access (a NavPane/Ribbon correlation thing here) ... selecting on an object in the NavPane, *should*, at a minimum effect the View button on the Home ribbon, so you can view the selected object in Design/Layout/etc. view ... but ... the View button, as I recall, gets disabled..

i dont quite follow this. sorry

- Similar to the NavPane/Ribbon disconnect above ... it seems odd that I click on "Delete" in the RECORDS group of the Home Ribbon to DELETE a Database Object!!! ... Please note that the SAME button will indeed delete a Record, so .... For many users, there objects have been deleted when in fact they intended to delete a Record!! ....

then maybe the dropdown part of the delete should be exercised. from there, a record, column and object can be deleted. again, all appropriate items in one place. would you rather a "delete object" in one place, "delete field" in another and "delete column" in another?

- Once you lose a persistent object variable that points to the Ribbon Object, you MUST restart the db app to regain that object variable ... I would like to see at least one other VBA hook into the ribbon ... something like ...

Set rbnx = Application.RibbonX

your suggestion is about right. you dont have to restart the db. i found that i was doing that at first but then discovered you can invoke the ribbon without restarting. it is more like-

Application.LoadCustomUI objYourRibName, strYourXML ( obviously, your other items are declared too )

im not a fan of the tabs in a db. i have 1 ribbon tab only and this states the validation of the db licence. other than this, my RibbonLoad sets the required items visible to true and all others to false. as diferent forms are visited, the relevant objects are made visible to meet the requirements. i agree that the ribbonUI has a long long way to go even but i do think it has potential. it shouldnt be written off just yet :)

and finally,

I REALLY dislike the fact that when Access starts, your Startup form launches, then is shoved out of the way with the Ribbon ... I figure Access knows the state of the Ribbon (minized or not) and should then place the form in the right spot ... either offset 2 inches down or not ... The SAME lack of joy is experienced with the NavPane! I figure the NavPane should follow the tabbed windows setting. If Tabbed Interface is shown, then your user interface objects (ie: the tabbed docs) will not go under the nav pane. But in "Overlapping Windows" mode user interface objects could float UNDER the NavPane, and when showing/hiding the NavPane my UI objects would be uneffected with respect to position. In addition, I think the NavPane should have an autohide option, can have the ability to take on functionality (through the Navigation Options) virtually equivalent to SQL Server Management Studio's Object Browser.

you could always have your forms load after the ribbon RibbonLoad has been invoked. this way, the ribbon would be in place before the form appears.

regs,

Nigel

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:13
Well I am definitely going to stay out of the middle of the ribbon war!
Anyhow, tomorrow is your last chance to vote on the spreadsheet :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom