What did you do for your summer vacation? (1 Viewer)

KenHigg

Local time
Yesterday, 21:39
TessB said:
LOL... Summer isn't over, of course... it's just begun! But well, America can start out this topic by telling us what they did to celebrate the 4th of July.

What are YOOOOOuuuu doing?
:)

:) :) :)

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
Today, 02:39
Pauldohert said:
That clears that up then Barry.

Because I do my job because I think its pay and conditions are fair - the same as you - I am paltry but you are superior?

Because I dare suggest it is possible and common to do very little and to complain whilst still picking up the pay -
I have no principles?

So where in this fair minded and principled stance does the following fit? "all for twiddling your thumbs all day"

You can't have it both ways.

Anyhow time to unhijack this thread - I don't like your original post and you don't care - so be it.
If you want the last word, feel free to take it.

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
You want to hear about my summer vacation? I used to know what a vacation was, then I had a baby.

First of all, as an employee in a US non-profit (ha!) organization, I get 3 weeks paid vacation, a couple of personal days, and I think 12 paid holidays. July 3rd and 4th were 2 of those paid holidays, and I took the rest of the week off. A likely story!! Since I can't really go anywhere with a 10-month old, I thought I would get some things done at home while she languished in day care. A likely story!!! She went to day care on Monday, which was great, and I went to my girlfriend's house and hung out, thinking I would have 3 additional days to accomplish my list of accomplishments. A likely story!! Wednesday morning, I drop her off at day care at 6:30 AM, and they call me to pick her up at 8:00 AM. I had an hour and a half vacation. The room she is in had been exposed to hand foot and mouth disease (not to be confused with hoof and mouth disease common in livestock), which produced little pimple-like pustules on her hands and feet, and they sent her home. Needless to say, it took me 2 days of misinformation and finally a dr's note to get her back into day care. So I had Friday without her (finally), got almost none of my list of accomplishments accomplished, and started my own sore throat around 10 AM Friday. But I got to see the new Pirates of the Carribean movie on Friday afternoon!!!! Then the weekend I spent sick, but still having to care for the baby, because my lazy ass BF was sick too, and of course his illnesses always trump mine.

Lisa

After a quick Google search, here's a photo of Johnny Depp:

Attachments

• deadmanschest6.jpg
    deadmanschest6.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 143

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Yesterday, 18:39
Barry,

when I told you that I am a government worker you assumed I MUST be a thumb twiddling idler with no principles.

Which is exactly the "assumption" you seem to not care for.

I only said "lots" which I still hold to be true.

Tasslehoff

Registered User.
Local time
Pauldohert said:
I MUST be a thumb twiddling idler with no principles.

Wait...what's wrong with that? As long as you get paid, you are happy, and no one seems to care/notice that you get away with it then there should be no problem. Notice, I am not saying that you are one...just that I AM one and I love every minute :p

R

Rich

Tasslehoff said:
Wait...what's wrong with that? As long as you get paid, you are happy, and no one seems to care/notice that you get away with it then there should be no problem.

What's wrong with it is that we are the mugs (ie the general public) who are paying for it! :mad: ;)

Tasslehoff

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
What's wrong with it is that we are the mugs (ie the general public) who are paying for it! :mad: ;)
Translated, that roughly equals:
"Like, Oh my God, I broke a nail!"

I really don't think we should be all worked up about this paltry little issue. The wound hurts worst when it is picked at.

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
KenHigg said:
Oh dear...:(

Yeah, Ken, I think I have completely given up on the little terms of endearment I always seem to hear around here - like "Cupcake" or whatever those UK sayings are that I don't understand....perhaps I will just use "LABF", and you will all know who I am talking about.

Lisa

KenHigg

Local time
lmnop7854 said:
Yeah, Ken, I think I have completely given up on the little terms of endearment I always seem to hear around here - like "Cupcake" or whatever those UK sayings are that I don't understand....perhaps I will just use "LABF", and you will all know who I am talking about.

Lisa

Hum... I'm guessing you saw something good in him at some point in time... Have you presented him with a list? I like lists.... :) :)

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
KenHigg said:
I like lists.... :) :)

That's because you're a data guy, Ken, and all us data people love out lists...:D :D

Are you talking about a list of his misdeeds? Unfortunately, that list would not be a very positive read for him, and although I would simply be stating the truth, I think he may take offense. So we keep away from the lists.....

Lisa

KenHigg

Local time
lmnop7854 said:
That's because you're a data guy, Ken, and all us data people love out lists...:D :D

Are you talking about a list of his misdeeds? Unfortunately, that list would not be a very positive read for him, and although I would simply be stating the truth, I think he may take offense. So we keep away from the lists.....

Lisa

No - I mean a list of stuff you need him to do / take care of... :) :)

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
KenHigg said:
No - I mean a list of stuff you need him to do / take care of... :) :)

Oh, I don't bother with that crap anymore. We have been down that road. I think just leaving the broken/need-to-be-fixed stuff out in plain view, with him knowing that he is responsible for fixing it, is a good enough reminder. And when the end of the summer comes, and he goes back to school, I will fix what is left of the maybe 10 or so things I actually wanted him to do over the whole 3 months. What, me bitter?:rolleyes:

Lisa

KenHigg

Local time
lmnop7854 said:
Oh, I don't bother with that crap anymore. We have been down that road. I think just leaving the broken/need-to-be-fixed stuff out in plain view, with him knowing that he is responsible for fixing it, is a good enough reminder. And when the end of the summer comes, and he goes back to school, I will fix what is left of the maybe 10 or so things I actually wanted him to do over the whole 3 months. What, me bitter?:rolleyes:

Lisa

:mad: I can do that good - Send me the list :D

R

Rich

lmnop7854 said:
- like "Cupcake" or whatever those UK sayings are that I don't understand....Lisa

Cupake is how Kenny refers to her indoors, it's an American expression:eek: ;) :D

KenHigg

Local time
Rich said:
Cupake is how Kenny refers to her indoors, it's an American expression:eek: ;) :D

It's a mutual deal; 'cupcake' and 'hey you' :eek: :p

KenHigg

Local time
Rich said:
Have you finished your own chores yet? :eek:

Huh? I didn't think chores were a requirement in NY...?:p

Edit: At least not for LABF... :)

Last edited:

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:39
Pauldohert said:

Does Oz has something called long service leave - how does that work?

Yes, it's 60 days after 15 years of continuos services. In some industries (not many) the service is transferable between employers. Given that the longest period I've ever been employed by a single employer is eight years, I'm in very little danger of every qualifying :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom