What do you do in your spare time? (1 Viewer)

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:28
Kevlray, I love woodworking. I run to my shop about every spare minute that I can. Too bad we are so far apart. I would love to trade tips and techniques. I am working on a commission job right now. 8' x 3' dining room table to go into a ranch house. Making it out of spalted pecan with two Texas stars inlayed into it. My brother in law is a metal artist so he is building the frame and a silhouette of a calf roper. The table will fold out from the wall and that's when the silhouette will display. I'm having a lot fun.
When are we going to see a pic Shane?

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:28
When are we going to see a pic Shane?

Hey Rich, good to hear from you. I will post pictures if you guys want me to. Below is the one of the Texas stars inlayed. The table itself is pecan. The dark side of the star is Black Walnut and the light side of the star is Mesquite. I just got one of the tools that I need to begin putting the top together. I already have the boards prep'd so hopefully it won't be very much longer.

Attachments

• JimsTable_TexasStarInlay.jpg
    JimsTable_TexasStarInlay.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 238

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Sounds like quite a project. I am nowhere near that skill level. The most challenging project so far is a large free standing pantry. I got the design plans out of a book (from readers digest). Unfortunately they left some of the details out. My wife loves her pantry, so the project was a success.

I have three projects on hold, mostly for the lack of wood. A coffee table (I might have enough wood for that, but need a wide planer). A futon (sp?), and a bird feeder (a design challenge, working off a picture from a box of bird seed).

I am nowhere near the skill level either.:eek: but having fun faking my way through it. What kind of wood for the coffee table? How wide of a planar are you thinking you need? Rigid makes a decent 12 1/2" one that you can pick up for a very reasonable price. Otherwise, if you have a sawyer you could ask them to run it through a drum sander a few times. Should flatten it for ya!

Last edited:

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
I do and this is a rumour I must inspect for myself some day :p

It has been a while Shane, I've been somewhat distracted...

Hope you and yours are well.

MS. OUMAHEXI! Those are snuff boxes in the cowboys back pockets you know?

Things are progressing on. We are staying healthy distracted, which helps. Thanks for the well wishes. Hope as is well with y'all as well.

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
If everything was really bigger and better in Texas - youd be able to get one of these tables down in Ikea!? ;-)

You added a word. Just bigger (as they say) We do have an Ikea though. Never been there but have drove by it a time or two.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I am nowhere near the skill level either.:eek:

Nice to see you back. :)

I've always wondered with this stuff are you not afraid of making a mistake and costing yourself a bunch in raw materials to start over? Especially if you've set a price for your customer.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
You added a word. Just bigger (as they say) We do have an Ikea though. Never been there but have drove by it a time or two.

The thought of walking through a Texas size Ikea - the stuff of nightmares.

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Nice to see you back. :)

I've always wondered with this stuff are you not afraid of making a mistake and costing yourself a bunch in raw materials to start over? Especially if you've set a price for your customer.

Thanks for the welcome back.

Yes, some what, but the way that I try to balance that is to know that when I do make a mistake I learned what not to do and hopefully won't repeat that mistake.:D I don't make my living by doing woodwork so I do have a little cushion to fall back on. There is a old joke about woodworkers that the difference between a woodworker and a pizza is that a pizza will feed a family of four.

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Today, 15:28
Hey Rich, good to hear from you. I will post pictures if you guys want me to. Below is the one of the Texas stars inlayed. The table itself is pecan. The dark side of the star is Black Walnut and the light side of the star is Mesquite. I just got one of the tools that I need to begin putting the top together. I already have the boards prep'd so hopefully it won't be very much longer.

I have some friends who own a vacation home in Colorado, and they have decked the whole thing out in the Texas Lone Star. I think the house overdoes it.... but I do not complain as they let us go up there every year to go four-wheeling, hiking, rock-hounding etc.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
The piece of maple I a planning to use is about 20 inches wide, it is rough cut about 4/4. I was going to check the local high schools to see what they might have in their wood shop.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Four-wheeling, hiking, rock-hounding in Colorado! Sign me up. Unfortunately my children do not share my passion :-(

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, some what, but the way that I try to balance that is to know that when I do make a mistake I learned what not to do and hopefully won't repeat that mistake.:D

So the trick is don't do a paying job which involves something you've never done before. :p

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Four-wheeling, hiking, rock-hounding in Colorado! Sign me up. Unfortunately my children do not share my passion :-(

I am part of a singles group in my Church here, and we have been fortunate that the directors of our group have access to this house.

I am attaching some of my favorite pics.

Attachments

• CO- Waterfall.jpg
    CO- Waterfall.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 164
  • Dusk.jpg
    Dusk.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 147
  • House- CO.jpg
    House- CO.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 158
  • Lake San Cristobol.jpg
    Lake San Cristobol.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 154
  • Pic from the porch.jpg
    Pic from the porch.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 165

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I'm green with envy. I was out walking yesterday and as pleasant as Cheshire is the scenery doesn't compare with that.

Brian

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
MS. OUMAHEXI! Those are snuff boxes in the cowboys back pockets you know?

Things are progressing on. We are staying healthy distracted, which helps. Thanks for the well wishes. Hope as is well with y'all as well.

Drat! Another dream shattered :mad:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
One thing I did with my spare time today is an ephemeral pleasure. I took my 3 1/2 year old grandson for a walk. It is ephemeral because all too soon I won't be able to keep up with him and also won't be "cool" - at least for a while. I'm already on the fringes with the 14-year-old, at least until he grows up some more and realizes I can still teach him some things he would like to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom