What happened to all the Flour? (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:19
I stopped trying to make homemade beer a long time ago. What I brewed up went in yellow and foamy, came out yellow and foamy, and I couldn't see I was doing anything with it. Got tired of being the middleman.

{Yeah, I know... old joke. But I'm an old guy. What did you expect?}

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:19
Well around here (Central Valley, California). Flour and yeast are in short supply. Milk was for a while. Ice cream is available (hard to get a few weeks ago). Plenty of fruits and vegetables (at least in one of the stores I go to) available.

Of course there are still shortages of toilet paper, paper towels, sanitizer, and any PPE (Personal Protection Equipment).

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
We were in a local supermarket chain called Rouse's - started in south Louisiana. We are starting to see hand sanitizer in abundance on the shelves but it looks like it was locally concocted. Still can't get Clorox sanitizing wipes, but got some nitrile gloves. Major brands of TP and paper towels are hard to find, but we found a less famous brand that is more or less acceptable.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 23:19
We were in a local supermarket chain called Rouse's - started in south Louisiana. We are starting to see hand sanitizer in abundance on the shelves but it looks like it was locally concocted. Still can't get Clorox sanitizing wipes, but got some nitrile gloves. Major brands of TP and paper towels are hard to find, but we found a less famous brand that is more or less acceptable.
I had to buy some major brand TP when I got home from the USA. Not well pleased, I can tell you. :)

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
A local (40 miles away) brewery started making sanitizer last month and was giving it way at the time. Since all the bars were closed. It was a way to keep his employees working.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 18:19
My wife and I have a new hobby. Every-time we return (individual trip) from the supermarket we review what was available and what was not available. Last week, she could not located corn bread (the mix). This week it was available. So I guess we are slowly being trained for how to live with rationing. 🙃 <- supposedly that represents sarcasm.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
We always make a list beforehand and check / scratch out what we find. What we don't find goes into next week's list.

Right now we can't find any "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" margarine, our preferred brand.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I remember photos of the USSR back before the wall fell and people waiting in line for scarce supplies.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
We always make a list beforehand and check / scratch out what we find. What we don't find goes into next week's list.

Right now we can't find any "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" margarine, our preferred brand.
Scratch out?? Is there a shortage of pencils? I could send you some.

Our local Sainsburys has a shortage of fish food for my pond fish. Plenty of bog rolls though.

BTW, have I missed something? Where is Jesus fan Adam?

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Col, thanks for the offer, but my wife insists on making her lists in ink. But there is some hope for her entering the the brave new world. She still uses paper for our grocery list but she has started using the "Notes" feature on her cell phone for some other things and will simply erase the entry when done there.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Col, thanks for the offer, but my wife insists on making her lists in ink. But there is some hope for her entering the the brave new world. She still uses paper for our grocery list but she has started using the "Notes" feature on her cell phone for some other things and will simply erase the entry when done there.
No, I can't use a phone for shopping. I write what I need on a little dry wipe board in the kitchen as I go along, then, when it's shopping day, the list is transferred to paper and off to Sainsburys I go. Call me old fashioned, but in my world, a list has to be handwritten on paper, but using a little dry wipe board is a modern touch for me. My house is a flash back in time to the 1970's with orangey brown colours and lava lamps. I do sometimes use a phone though.
I've also got a juke-box, it can take cents or dollar bills (it does have a free play override)

Col

Last edited:

kilroyscarnival

Registered User.
Local time
I'm in Florida, and we had the same issue being unable to find bread flour. I bake periodically and usually have a container partially filled with bread flour ("strong flour" in the UK), but I used it all up around the holidays and hadn't replenished it. Yeast is also very hard to get too, but fortunately, I'd bought a jar of instant yeast so I had a decent amount left.

I cannot say scientifically that it's a boom in home baking, but anecdotally, many friends are posting their cooking and baking feats while staying at home. And, concurrently, many of the baking YouTube channels have experienced a giant leap in subscriber numbers, including the excellent "Bake with Jack" out of the UK, who also reports he's sold out of merchandise after a brisk increase in orders.

The gardening forums and channels also have seen increased subscribers. The sad thing is so many in central and south Florida have popped onto local gardening groups, unaware that they've bought plants and seeds that it's too late to grow here in the heat.

Interesting times!

-- Ann

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Why do you bake bread? Is there none in the shops?

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There is always the issue that a recipe you put together for yourself frequent tastes better than one you bought in store. Freshness, for one thing. Having the aroma of the fresh-baked bread permeating the house is another. Pride in workmanship (it it is edible) counts, too. And it is a fabulous way to do something constructive around the house during the lock-down.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I didn't think there was a lockdown in the USA. We see on the news all those people mixing and protesting, some even dressed in combat gear carrying huge machine gun things. You know what Yanks are like about freedom rights and the constitution amendments. If they're advised to do something, they'll ignore it.

Col

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 18:19
Need to add Mother's Day cards to the "what happened to all the ... ?" list. The pickings were slim today. My Wife's birthday is also in May. Again the Birthday card pickings were slim. For self-protection, get your cards now. Divorce on the horizon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom