What happened to? (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:19
In earlier versions of the forum, when you clicked on a member's name, one of your options was to see threads he started. That seems to be missing.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:19
Not sure what it looked like before, but what I do is click on the member twice and go to Find > Find all threads by.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:19
alternative to double clicking the name if you hover over the avatar a new window opens, bottom left of this window is messages. Click on the number and you'll see all messages. Don't recall being able to only see the ones started

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 04:19
Agree with Pat.

Kind of like with Access itself, I understand there's tons of ways to accomplish what he wants to do. But like Pat, I miss this exact functionality.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Can you clarify what the old version had, exactly? And why you miss that functionality?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Thanks CJ. Double click is not exactly obvious when clicking comes up with a menu of options, one of which used to be going to the person's threads. Nor is hovering and clicking on the number when the popup has a row of buttons.

This is one of those "change for the sake of change" changes that I hate so much and it also introduces inconsistency which is even worse. The GUI for software should ALWAYS be predictable and intuitive. If you want someone to click on something, it should look like a button or have a font that looks like a hyperlink

This forum is far better than most. I personally hate most web based software I use. Having to scroll to view a form makes me crazy. In the case of a forum, scrolling down to get to the next thread isn't a problem but people make actual form style pages that are way too big for the available real estate.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
You can also single click the name once the popup appears after hovering over the name.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Having lots of ways to get some place is much less important than having a single, consistent, and obvious way. In fact, it is what makes people dislike software. You've shown me three ways to do what I want. I probably could have discovered at least one of them if i had clicked on each piece of text but none were obviously clickable. When a form contains three buttons, the expectation is that there are three options. It is not slick or good design to have hidden options. Just sayin'

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I hear you Pat.

The designers have taken a decision to do it this way, and they will have more data on why they chose to do it this way. They could put twenty links in there. But there is a playoff between simplicity and options. You could say perhaps its the difference between Apple and Android. Perhaps their data shows few people clicked on the Threads link. I too like the Threads link and can put it there with a paid add-on.

Some people dislike the software because there are options. Others dislike the software because there are too few options.

This is an example from the Xenforo site of their popup:

1602849528914.png

Maybe there are some more options now that let you put Resources, Solutions etc in there.

Is the profile banner a new thing? Can't remember if it was there before. I am referring to the image, like shown in the above image.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom