What's your best/worst joke? (4 Viewers)

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 14:02
I have a friend that when he texts me, it's full of emojis and very few words.
I need a Rosetta Stone to translate today’s Emojis. I don’t understand what most of them mean.

I had to sent him this as a response.

411302355_877942434069780_1898464355824374519_n.jpg

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 22:02
God decided it was time to make peace with Satan and proposes an energy exchange,
under which God would send down cold air to cool hell down a bit. Satan would send
up warm air to take the chill off. God keeps his side of the bargain but Satan does not.
If you don't keep your side of the bargain then I'll be forced to sue said God to Satan.

Well good luck with that said Satan, because I have all the judges and lawyers.

That is funny.

On a more serious note , lawyer jokes are my 'pet peeve'. Meaning a trivial thing in life that annoys or upsets me more than it would the average person, or that I have focused on.

Many people (the people who truly believe that about lawyers, for example), IMO demonstrate a major lack of thinking-it-through.
One of the cornerstones of our freedom and free way of life generally, is the criminal justice system, whereby if you are accused of a crime, you get the benefit of a presumption of innocence and all manner of details that constitute due process of law. This is NECESSARY in order to give us all the freedom and fairness we love so much.

Part of that system is something called the "adversarial system", which Dershowitz has written about extensively (and I'm sure there are a million books on the subject). It means a system whereby at trial (and peripheral activities), each party is represented by someone advocating for them and who is the adversary of the other party, 100%.

If that system ever fails, or begins to succumb to the "yeah-but-you-know-they-did-it-so-why-defend-them" sort of thinking, it chips away and chips holes in the purity and reliability of the system.

Defense lawyers, if they are 100% advocating for the rights of their client from the perspective of being exact adversary to the prosecutor, are NOT ONLY "doing their jobs". They're doing a job that we absolutely DEPEND on for freedom, fairness, and rule of law. There is no such thing as the "right result" or "right outcome". The right outcome is whatever occurs at the end of a perfectly executed process of fairness.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:02
I have a friend that when he texts me, it's full of emojis and very few words.
I need a Rosetta Stone to translate today’s Emojis. I don’t understand what most of them mean.

I had to sent him this as a response.

View attachment 111760

Makes me contemplate archaeologists from the year 4500 who try to decipher the faded remnants of magnetic media containing backups of our mail files complete with emojis. I can see it now... "Look, this pile of poop in juxtaposition with an angry devil face. What do you think it means?"

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 22:02
Makes me contemplate archaeologists from the year 4500 who try to decipher the faded remnants of magnetic media containing backups of our mail files complete with emojis. I can see it now... "Look, this pile of poop in juxtaposition with an angry devil face. What do you think it means?"

The way society is going, they'll probably consider the context of the era and assume we eventually turned to worshipping poop. :LOL:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time

Oh, the shame! Oh, the horror! Oh, the ignominy of being held accountable for what you do! Who would EVER create such a devious plot?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Again, I am unable to provide the appropriate emoji in the list of "like" options. <groan>

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, she was extremely "woke" - more than many folks could endure, I guess. But two other issues stood out. Her dissertation contained information that was believed to be inappropriately attributed - "college-speak" for plagiarism. When she was questioned by Congress regarding incidents of anti-Semitism on campus, she was evasive on a yes/no type of question regarding whether certain acts would, in fact, be against college policy. She (in essence) refused to agree to an example of racism against a non-black group being called racism. I.e. two-faced.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Personally, I think the college's board of directors was embarrassed by her evasive answers on antisemitism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom