Who's the fascist? (1 Viewer)

chergh

blah
Local time
Today, 02:09
So if I don't like something I should pay thousands/millions to get it changed huh? Oh hang on I'm skint....

Thats sort of the point of unions. Members can put forward motions on policy which is then voted on by membership you don't need millions you just need to be a member.

chergh

blah
Local time
If it comes to a choice between whats good for the union and whats good for the membership, the union will go with its own best interest every time

Can you give an example?

JamesMcS

Keyboard-Chair Interface
Local time
Thats sort of the point of unions. Members can put forward motions on policy which is then voted on by membership you don't need millions you just need to be a member.

Yeah but what gets me is that money makes the political world go round, when it shouldn't. What if the unions lobbied to, let's say, get a pay rise for their members when everyone else is having to wait until the economy is a bit happier? So just because they've got loads of money they can afford to keep plying their sympathetic politician to achieve their own ends, and if they finally don't get what they want they just say "well f*ck you then we won't deliver your mail, or we won't drive your trains, who cares about the good of the country as long as we get what we want"? Yeah good one.

Last edited:

JamesMcS

Keyboard-Chair Interface
Local time
The miner's strike guy. That did the country a WHOLE lot of good

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
The minimum wage is a prime example of a piece of legislation promoted by union lobbying.

But what studies have been carried out to determine if, and how many, jobs were lost in industry due to the introduction of this legislation?

chergh

blah
Local time
The miner's strike guy. That did the country a WHOLE lot of good

I know who he was but not what he did that put the interests of the union ahead of the interests of the membership. The miners strike was a miserable failure that benefited neither the membership or the union.

chergh

blah
Local time
But what studies have been carried out to determine if, and how many, jobs were lost in industry due to the introduction of this legislation?

It did stop employers exploiting their workers by paying 50p an hour. If slave labour jobs have disappeared from britain as a result of the minimum wage then good riddance to them.

JamesMcS

Keyboard-Chair Interface
Local time
I know who he was but not what he did that put the interests of the union ahead of the interests of the membership. The miners strike was a miserable failure that benefited neither the membership or the union.
Sorry, didn't mean to patronise.... But it's a prime example of what I talked about in a previous post up there somwhere

chergh

blah
Local time
Sorry, didn't mean to patronise.... But it's a prime example of what I talked about in a previous post up there somwhere

I agree unions have faults but without unions employers would exploit their workers and it was the exploitation of workers by company owners that gave rise to the trade union movement. Unions have to some extent become a victim of their own success in that working conditions and rights of workers are enshrined in law making unions less relevant, but they do still help protect vulnerable workers and in holding management to account.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Interesting one Ouma

I get your point but I go with the idea that unions should have freedom of speech as well so it wouldn't overly bother me.

I think the BNP are misguided and don't believe the principle behind the party. I would open up immigration. It is likely that some may not benefit from this even if it is only a subjective judgement in their heads. I suspect at the end of the day anything that improves the economic growth of a country benefits more people than it disadvantages.

All depends on whether you think mixed communities are good or bad for a country.

JamesMcS

Keyboard-Chair Interface
Local time
Well, if they got us where we are now then overall I guess they're a good thing.

I suppose my point is a bit off topic, more a whine about the government thinking for themselves and keeping joe public under the thumb.

To quote a friend on an earlier thread.... Viva La Revolucion

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom