Would like to apologize/thank (1 Viewer)

tmyers

Local time
Today, 00:06
All, I would like to apologize as lately I feel like I have bordered on post spamming.

My mind jumps around a lot, and I unfortunately have a bad habit of posting something before my mind actually completes the thought on it. I also tend to start working on one thing, jump to something else then jump back, causing a mental disconnect if you will. The wife yells at me for it because I am also very bad at doing that with text messages. She says you can always tell when a thought begins and ends due to it.

I would still like to thank everyone who has attempted to help my semi-annoying self. Gas, DBGuy, Pat, Plog, Minty and others, you are all extremely helpful and I appreciate all the help you have given. I have learned a lot from your help and am thankful for it even if I sometimes don't seem like it.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Yesterday, 23:06
Starting posts asking for help is never spamming or annoying.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:06
Hi. We're all here for you. Cheers!

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:06
Not a problem at all.

I've wasted at least an hour looking for data that I hadn't imported from a spreadsheet this afternoon.
Wondered what was wrong with my data processing. After a suitably long period of time, I realised I was being a prize twit...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If I had a dollar for every time I started down a random excursion into crazy programming before suddenly realizing that the answer was before me and my head was just on backwards that morning, I'd be a wealthy man. Don't sweat it.

neuroman9999

Local time
Starting posts asking for help is never spamming or annoying.

agreed. see these for confirmation:

asker saying he's making himself look like a fool:

me re-assuring him:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, you didn't need to double-post that exchange. The link shows us the whole thread and doesn't jump to the particular post. Just sayin' you could have saved a step. You could post a single link and call out post-numbers to make your point.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, you claim to help people. Sometimes you actually do. Sometimes you step in and make a comment that is so far off base that the baseball metaphors don't work any more - except for maybe: "Way out in left field" or... "Here's the pitch; he swings; .... another long foul ball."

I've posted THAT or its moral equivalent for a lot more than 200 times. Have YOU gotten MY point yet?

neuroman9999

Local time
"Way out in left field" or... "Here's the pitch; he swings; .... another long foul ball."

no idea what that weird stuff means.

Adam, you claim to help people. Sometimes you actually do.

Jesus sometimes helped people, sometimes confused people. but all the time, he told them what they didn't want to hear. if you don't like it, tough. ;)

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
I take the majority of the responsibility for this--I got notified about my name and didn't recognize that this was in the WaterCooler which I avoid like the plague. Then to make things worse I responded to tmyers which subscribed me to this thread. So, I do know I brought this on myself...however...

Is there a plugin for the forum software that lets these two have their endlessly pointless pissing match but hides them from the rest of us?

neuroman9999

Local time
Is there a plugin for the forum software that lets these two have their endlessly pointless pissing match but hides them from the rest of us?

it's not a pissing match it's just a fun back and forth between two obviously intellectual people of different generations. The religious aspect of it just happens to be a side note. If you're really annoyed by it obviously that shows that you have nothing to do.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Gotcha, plog.

The only way to handle a troll is to ignore him. I try to keep that in mind. Sometimes I slip. Apologies. I will try to remember to take a harder line in the future.

neuroman9999

Local time
That's the first time I've been called a troll in a long time by anybody here. And it goes back to the point of why did you guys remove the custom title under my photo named ""forum troll"" ? For a long time I have that title because one of you guys put it there.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
All of that affects you like water off a duck's back. However, plog's complaint didn't go unnoticed. I will simply tell you that I am done being so patient with you as to try to educate you in proper forum behavior. I have two authorities that I will use. First, giving you a time-out. Second, removing your more offensive posts. The other day Jon gave you a time-out. I've given you more than one. The other mods have chipped in as well. There is no way to handle you except to deny you the attention you apparently crave.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@plog, you do know about the Ignore function, don't you? It is where you can ignore any member on here and never see their posts. Let me know if you were not aware.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Click on the users name to the left of the post, then click Ignore. There is one limitation: you cannot ignore a mod. This is by design.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
And I have noted your objection, plog. My tactics of patience have been demonstrated to not work. Jon told me I could handle Adam as I saw fit, so I tried patience and demonstration of "proper" (or at least less objectionable) methods. Adam drew me into his trap more than once. There is only one way to handle him and that is to deprive him of the ability to "press my buttons." I have to force myself to sometimes be impatient despite it being against my preferred nature.

Again, I apologize for allowing myself to fall into that trap. Sometimes patience isn't the right answer.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Moderation is a skill where it is not always easy to balance free speech vs oppression. It takes practice, there is no "right" answer and I trust Doc's judgement calls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom