.xlsx read-only NOT read-only (1 Viewer)

swell

Local time
Today, 11:06
Hi, I saved a .xlsx file as read-only but when I closed it read-only then re-opened as read-only I was able to edit cells.
Would appreciate pointers to what may be causing this!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:06
How exactly did you save the file as "read-only?" Did you apply a password to it?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Are you saying that you utilized one of the options here?

1622753685654.png

When you open an Excel file as Read-Only, and then proceed to make changes (which is totally possible - and the inability to make those edits in cells is not what Read-Only means)......and then close the file, it will prompt you if you want to Save the file. You can say "yes", but will only be able to save a copy of the file - not the file itself

Follow that sequence through entirely and see if it makes more sense?

swell

Local time
Are you saying that you utilized one of the options here?

View attachment 92108

When you open an Excel file as Read-Only, and then proceed to make changes (which is totally possible - and the inability to make those edits in cells is not what Read-Only means)......and then close the file, it will prompt you if you want to Save the file. You can say "yes", but will only be able to save a copy of the file - not the file itself

Follow that sequence through entirely and see if it makes more sense?
Yes! Isaac. This is the option I used. I did not supply a password to open read-only, I supplied a password to modify.
I followed your sequence and you are correct it saves a copy; read-only can be by-passed by renaming, so it is not a very sound method to prevent modification :((
Thank you for responding.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 18:06
if you are using Newer excel,

Goto File->Info->Protect Workbook (and add the password to Open it).

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yes! Isaac. This is the option I used. I did not supply a password to open read-only, I supplied a password to modify.
I followed your sequence and you are correct it saves a copy; read-only can be by-passed by renaming, so it is not a very sound method to prevent modification :((
Thank you for responding.
Well, I see your point. If you want to prevent Copies, you may have to get more creative.
I used to do a LOT of creative stuff in Excel VBA to deploy "applications" that were essentially workbooks on steroids.

Some things you can try if you feel like it:

1) make the workbook un-useable if macros are not enabled. (first step to make anything else worth it). how? hide all sheets except a splash page, which says "you have macros disabled - you must enable - etc etc". the workbook_close event will hide all sheets EXCEPT this one, and you let it run every time you as a developer close the book.
2) workbook_open event: this will UNHIDE the true, useful sheets.....and HIDE the splash page 'you must enable macros' sheet. (which won't run if macros are disabled).
3) finally, add your desired effect - in the workbook_beforesave event, Cancel it and let the person know...no can do.
4) pw protect your vba project, as always.

swell

Local time
Maybe I am abnormal, to my mind the purpose of making a workbook read only is that recipients can read the results of the spreadsheets contained therein without the ability to modify anything.
MS solution seems to have no real effect if it can be so easily circumvented.
Thank you for your input. I will just have to let the users go for it , it is the end user that will have to suffer the consequences.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Maybe I am abnormal, to my mind the purpose of making a workbook read only is that recipients can read the results of the spreadsheets contained therein without the ability to modify anything.
MS solution seems to have no real effect if it can be so easily circumvented.
Thank you for your input. I will just have to let the users go for it , it is the end user that will have to suffer the consequences.
Suit yourself

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom